field test: adding wheels to the nose. result: this idea has an important drawback

• @readysetawesome I don't have a lot of hills where I live so this is likely not much of a problem for me, but if the wheels are otherwise-useful to you, you might try habituating yourself to turn the board sideways (perpendicular to the slope) before stopping when traveling uphill, so you don't "slide" downhill. That's what you'd do on a slope with a snowboard, which the OW is patterned after (though obviously a snowboard rarely goes UPhill). You would never stop with its nose or tail pointed downhill.

In fact, the more I think about it - nose wheels or no, I wouldn't think you'd ever really want to stop with just the single one wheel of the OW, pointed downhill; at least not on a steep one.

• Ridiculous thing putting wheels on a onewheel IMO. The magic of onewheel is it has ONE wheel and learning to ride it proply. The fear of falling off the front is part of the magic, you feel and look great for this reason when you get it down. It takes time. Putting wheels on is getting rid of some of that magic and a daft excuse to not learn proply. If you are scared get a skateboard. A skateboard doesn't look hilarious with more than one wheel either. You don't see motorcyclists putting stabilisers on their bikes to stop them falling sideways do you?
    Also there's no such thing as nosedives in 99.5% of cases. Overloading the motor will cause it to temporarily turn off as it is designed. If your stance is right at the time you can ride them out. If not you fall over the front or on your arse. I'm 2 from 4. 2 ride outs. 2 falls, both backwards, no way I'm letting myself fall forwards, that would be daft too. They were all in my early days of OWing. I wasn't riding correctly, I have learnt now. Tons of videos showing pros riding correctly. You can see the difference to those with straight legs leaning out the front that folk put up all the time. Ignorance causes falls that get called nosedives and all the gotta blame the board nonsense. I never had an overload since I stayed under 15mph, much bigger margin to when the board is overloaded. Except when I do it on purpose going up a very steep hill and push the front down hard, slide the nose, it's fun as it's not at speed.
    Also offroad them small wheels will catch on stuff much earlier than without, another daft idea as they are closer to the ground. Never mind in the situations you'll be glad the board stopped instead of rolling off down the road towards a pedestrian or under a car. Think about it. That's not good

• @readysetawesome The nose of the board always rests higher than the back because of the battery weight. Are you riding the board with your sensor on the back foot? Not sure how your deactivated board would be riding the nose downhill...

• @ventoriffic If I'm reading him right, he's going uphill, then stopping and shutting off the board with its nose pointed uphill and its tail pointed down. When it shuts off, it's dipping his front/uphill foot to the ground, where the nose wheels are, and he's then rolling downhill.

If I understand it right, I can see how he's doing this, but like I say in my comment, it seems like on a steep hill you'd want to turn the OW perpendicular before stopping it and shutting it down anyway, nosedive wheels or not.

Or just be careful to weight your back foot more before you shut it down. Like you say, under normal circumstances the front of the board should never really be touching down at all, but well, that's what the nosedive wheels are FOR.

• @glyph said in field test: adding wheels to the nose. result: this idea has an important drawback:

@ventoriffic If I'm reading him right, he's going uphill, then stopping and shutting off the board with its nose pointed uphill and its tail pointed down. When it shuts off, it's dipping his front/uphill foot to the ground, where the nose wheels are, and he's then rolling downhill.

If I understand it right, I can see how he's doing this, but like I say in my comment, it seems like on a steep hill you'd want to turn the OW perpendicular before stopping it and shutting it down anyway, nosedive wheels or not.

sounds like a good time to do a re-entry, hit da lip 180

• @ventoriffic I was saying board rolls backwards downhill when I deactivate with nose pointed uphill. I ride with a very-far-back stance. as far as I can. Going uphill requires a more forward lean which is why my nose commonly touches down.

• @glyph It is a totally normal circumstance to touch down the nose of the board for me, in my daily rides. Happens for me about 1/20 heel-up deactivations, there are lots of hills around here.

The point is the wheels on the nose changed the way the board rides (more specifically, comes to a stop) in a way that I'm not comfortable with. and the way I was riding is fine without them, several minor nosedives but still no falls or injuries after over 2000 miles

• @redboyjan heh no apologies needed, first time I started rolling down a hill on the nose I was like "damn why didn't i think this was going to be annoying?" suddenly seemed so obvious

• @redboyjan Agree w/fewer overloads if you keep it under 15. speed limit 15mph w/delerium mode has kept me nosedive-free for several hundred miles.

• Nose hitting ground going up hill? Try elevated ride mode maybe? I've never used it myself except on slate parks. I've ridden up all the steepest hills in Nottingham no bother without the nose touching the ground

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.