First day with my XR and already had 2 crashes...

• @jeffmccosker thanks for the insight as that does make sense to me. I wasn't sure if I was the one that kept pushing the nose down while the board was elevating the nose or it just got locked in a high speed, it all happened so fast. Another thing I tried earlier when I got home was turn on the board and place my hands in two shoes on the board to test out the footpad sensors, they seem to switch off periodically whenever I lift up a small part of my hands within the shoes. Is that normal or is the sensors busted(or faulty)?

• I really appreciate all the helps, this was my first post, too bad it was about a bad experience. Once again, really appreciate it guys.

• The footpad sensors need two points of contact, specifically the ball of your foot/toes and heel. Hopefully your foot pad sensors are not faulty, causing them to stick or connect without pressure . They are designed that if both points of contact or not engaged at slow speed, the motor will disengage. Wear flat skater type shoes like vans, cons, shell tops, or Nike SB. The more foam padding you have the more difficult it is to feel your foot on the sensor/grip tape. If you’re in an elevated type mode, it will try to lift The front up to slow you down or to clear objects. By continuing to lean into it you will force the board to accelerate. Everybody crashes when they first get on. Practice on grass like a golf course if you can. Keep your knees bent your weight centered over the wheel, And I like to keep my feet spread wider closer to about an inch or two from the edges of the board. The wider stance gives me better balance and control. Your sense of balance, and the support muscles in your feet and legs will need time to learn it and you will be very sore from normal rides. You’ll find that your feet and legs have the same soreness as if you were to hit a standup paddleboard for the first time in a long time. Once you get comfortable, there is no closer feeling to snowboarding on pavement then the Onewheel. Good luck and get some miles in!

• Practice in your garage or on carpet, every day, rain or shine, until you can both remain still indefinitely and do continuous figure 8s. This will help train your muscle memory so your feet stay flatter on the board in turns at any speed, which helps keep the sensors happy and avoid unplanned deactivation.

Then ride in delerium at all times. I have had the least number of falls in delerium - After 2000 miles testing it, comparing to other modes, I’m certain that it helps prevent nosedives.

These two things have kept me free of nosedives or any falls for over a thousand miles.

You can do this, I’m almost 40 and never mastered any board sport, now after 6 months Onewheel is as comfortable as walking.

• Crashes suck, sorry to hear that....If you want to keep your new XR looking good and make it easier to carry, grab one of my Bone Flex handles on land-surf.com!

• I'm getting ready to turn 44 years old, I've got 1,300 miles on my Plus and never had a noisedive. I ride max 15mph and take it easy going uphills. Modes are 95% Mission and if I'm making a grocery run I switch over to Delirium to help with the hills. 175lbs and a 20psi tire. If you feel surging you're going too fast and the board is struggling to keep balance, so slow down or noise dive.

• Thanks for all the advice, this truly is a great community and I’m really happy to be a part of. Just a little update, today I took the XR around the neighborhood for the first time since the accident, I put it on mission mode like everyone suggested, went about a little over a mile before my feet couldn’t take it any more. I gotta say, I love this thing. And I came to a conclusion that the accident was an user error and not faulty device. To see it still has 12 miles left after 9 miles of use on the app just blows my mind. The Onewheel team did an amazing job on this thing. I’m looking forward to riding it again tomorrow. Once again thanks everyone who helped out, greatly appreciate it.

• @hoovdini just ordered the Fangs minis from you guys. One question: are the Fangs that much better than the minis? And would the minis still be able to help with nosedive? Thanks.

• I'm just putting in my .02 cents that the small wheels are not a great thing to put on the front of the board. Even for a beginner. Get used to the board as it is, it was designed to work well without those wheels on the nose. They're only really relevant if you're cruising at speeds that a beginner really should not. They might make it harder for you to learn to stop and they might also cause you to runaway down a hill if the board loses power, rather than skidding and going a bit slower.

• @readysetawesome They aren't meant for high speeds. Nothing can really save you if you nosedive at high speed. They are better suited to the overacceleration-from-dead-stop (in which the board's thrust/balance capacity gets temporarily overloaded) and the careless-uphill nosedives.

I rode 250+ miles with NO nosedives. Then I got careless and did the overacceleration-from-dead-stop one, once. 5 months later I am still trying to regain full use of my left (leading) shoulder/arm, which landed on pavement with my full 180# body weight on it. I think nosewheels might have allowed me to recover, or at least reduced the damage by elongating the board's immediate transition from "moving" to "dead stop, rider thrown", and gaining me precious reaction time.

You bring up losing power downhill; I think you're pretty screwed in any case if you lose power in that scenario - but really, the key here is that everyone should make their own decisions based on their skill/comfort level and common riding terrain.

Just my .02 cents.

• I'm 45, sold my OW and bought a metal detector, it is safer an more age appropriate :-)

• Hey @Jkenshiro - I'm 37 and had quite a bit of electric skateboard experience before picking up the Onewheel+ last year. It still took me a few weeks of cautious riding and a good handful of crashes/bails before I was able to get the hang of it. It just controls so much different from anything else. Keep at it and you will get the hang of it. As other recommended, try different modes, as the pushback/limits in some modes are definitely a bit unintuitive.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.