Safe Design Gap

• Hi, I was so interested in this device until I saw the nose dive issue.
    Looking at the board I see some safety gaps in the design.

I thought I should post some ideas so the designer will consider them in the next version,

First the problem:
    The device is a lever, with the wheel acting as the fulcrum point.
    As soon as it nose dives the rider WILL be catapulted forwards due to momentum. This is obviously flawed design from a safety perspective and explains all the laws coming out banning them in multiple countries.

Suggestions:
    Ok, so the problem is the sudden stop with the attitude of the board quite steep, proving the perfect platform to catapult the rider forwards to a potentially nasty outcome.

Lets do a couple of things to mitigate this:

1. Lower the platform with respect to the wheel so the boards angle at rest is less severe. This will reduce the leverage when the board comes to a stop.
    2. Add free wheeling mini-wheels (like those tough nylon wheels) to the ends of the board (maybe 2 at each end). They will allow the OW to absorb momentum by continuing to carry the rider forwards until he/she can more gracefully dismount.

Anyhow, my 2c, hope it helps.

• @zap I was thinking of sending car manufacturers an email telling them that they would have a lot fewer accidents if they would reduce the top speed to 5 mph.

• @zap But seriously... a lot of other people have suggested the tiny wheels solution. It might work, but I'm not sure if they'd want to implement them because then they couldn't call it a OneWheel anymore. Maybe as an accessory though?

But I think the nosedive issue is mainly when people are pushing it beyond its limits. And I like the current height of the board because it allows you to clear a lot more obstacles than other motorized boards.

• Learn the machines limits, once that is achieved you won't fall or nosedive.. Plenty of people ride with no issues.. To be honest id rather fall and get hurt then not have my ONEWHEEL at all ;)

• @zap walking is much safer and make sure you use a walker. Maybe all unicycles should add extra support wheels too? You obviously have never ridden a onewheel.

• LOL u guys are funny.
    Without getting into too much argument;
    Car analogy? Cars have heaps of safety equipment on board adding weight, reduced fuel economy and costs. Try emailing them while you're at it,

Adding extra tiny wheels to improve safety versus impacts on the product name? OMG thats funny,

Something about the rider learning the products "limits", like seriously? I dk why we should even bother with safety features then (haha),

Something about "walking" and I've "never ridden one", um, sorry your point is incoherent... But thanks anyhow... .?

C'mon, is there any room for constructive feedback here? Are there only trolls? Look around the forum, there are multiple posts and threads on the nose dive issue - you really think thats ok? You dont notice these types of devices being banned more often?
    Do you really want your toy to have this kind of rep?

Anyhow pfft, i dont want to waste more time on these kinds of response.

• Your points would be much better received if you didn't express them in such a condescending manor, just sayin'

• @zap Nothing is being banned due to nose diving, only for exploding. And no Onewheel has ever exploded. Thanks for stopping by!

• Later @zap. Yeah read the posts about nosediving and you will notice the issue completely evaporates with experience which means it's user error. Try driving a car too fast and you are likely to wipe out and hurt yourself. Is that a design flaw or a reason to understand how to safely ride within the limitations of the device you are riding? I almost killed myself on a snomobile when I was younger and years after snomobile safety classes and having a drivers license all because I was going too fast when it was too dark. Design flaw or poor operation skill?

I love my onewheel but I've been honest about some gripes with future motion. I'm no cheerleader, fanboy, or troll. You are coming to this forum without extensive experience or owning a onewheel and are trolling fm and us out of pure ignorance. I believe there is room for improvement but having owned onewheel six months and having ridden the heck out of the thing multiple times a day all summer, I can say without a doubt that this hardware version is safe while riding responsibly. Of course there is still risk riding anything which is why people wear helmets these days. But we still take the training wheels off our kids bikes for a reason and the fact that they can fall or crash is not a design flaw, it's a risk worth taking.

• @Franky : well I did read a few posts which is why I posted my ideas.
    I read about guys saying that they're experienced and it still happened to them.
    What I saw in a few of the videos that are being posted was that if the device nose dives it grinds to an immediate halt, catapulting the rider forwards.

If you're sayin this is not an issue and that those users are doing sth wrong then someone needs to explain exactly whats happening and how to avoid it.

i wish posters here would stop sayin that theres "risk in everything". Of course there is, theres risk in getting outa bed in the morning, but thats not a reason to do nothing about trying to improve things!

Lots of guys here seem pretty sensitive, but whateva, I'm just passing thru, no biggie, have fun and keep wheelin!

• I'll try to do a video to explain what to do and what not to do dadadidadado.....

• @zap check this out
    http://community.rideonewheel.com/topic/860/keep-your-center-of-gravity-over-your-onewheel
    I think the inherent risk of nose diving provides the incentive structure that encourages you to ride better! I'm not saying there shouldn't be any more engineering efforts aimed at reducing the possibility of a nose dive. The onewheel is incredibly simple and clean which absolutely lends to function. You start overbuilding with training wheels and stuff and all of the sudden it's really not the same thing anymore. I don't want to scare anyone away from one wheeling but nose diving is like the necessary antithesis to one wheeling successfully. I'm not sure you can have one without the other. It's like yin/yang or something esoteric.

• I haven't had a nosedive in over 8 months. In that time, I've also become a much better rider. It's not a coincidence.

To me, it seems like the people who have the most initial trouble, are those who come from riding iohawks and similar devices, as the weight shift from those would cause you to step of the sensor on a OW.

Just my $0.02

• Without being unkind of course I think that is a false debate for which there is no ground...
    We all know there is a nosediving risk and there is a risk in all sports !!!
    It's not Marty Mc Fly hoverboard yet...it's a onewheel...We got to stay our wheel grounded in reality...
    Please Learn how to use the onewheel and we shall not speak about it anymore !!!

PS: Nosediving risk is very exiting for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPZZrR_-dI

• @zap this dude lives in a padded room? Get out and enjoy life man!! I've been in several motorcycle accidents and i still ride.. No safty equipment other then a helmet ..

• The skateboard industry has been anxiously awaiting someone who has seen a photo of a skateboard but never ridden one to make some good suggestions on how to make them safer to cut down on all those unnecessary injuries.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.