What city / state are you in?
Posts made by WheelCity
RE: Riding Goofy for safety thoughts?
I was thinking about this yesterday, for I've been trying to increase my versatility by riding with my opposite, or left foot in front (I've always preferred riding goofy - right foot in front).
Then I realized how much I dislike riding left foot forward, for I have my back to oncoming traffic. Maybe that's why I prefer goofy, for as a kid, I learned on the streets.
So here's my question - why is left foot forward considered the regular way, and right is goofy? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
RE: Day 2, got launched
Sorry to hear about your wipeouts.
I'm a brand new rider myself, almost up to 200 miles. I have never had a nose dive. Falling off of the board several times, mostly at low speeds, and nothing I can blame the board for – it has never shut off on me.
I recommend taking it easy. I am closer to age 50 then 40, so I probably ride a lot more conservatively than most of you, but it has kept me in one piece :-)
I remember when learning how to ski, they said if you're not falling down, you are not skiing hard enough. Well, probably the opposite applies for the Onewheel, because no one enjoys wiping out.
From what I have read on these forums, nine out of 10 wipeouts occur when pushing the board past its ability to keep you upright. If you ride in delirium, and never exceed 15 miles an hour, you will have plenty of excitement, and never worry about a nose dive, ever.
But that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!
RE: Snow Tire!
There's a reason cars don't have slicks - treads work great (probably better than slicks).
Actually, that makes complete sense. Car tires have grooves for better rain performance.
I wonder if a rounded Hoosier tire would perform better on dry streets if it were slick vs treaded?
Notes after the first 7 days (101 miles!)
- Many things I’ve done are fun, but this is on a higher plane - that is, it’s addictive! When I’m not riding my Onewheel, I’m thinking about when I can ride it again.
- Riding a regular skateboard after nothing but Onewheel for a week is DANGEROUS! I found myself leaning forward, and backwards, and almost falling off both ends of the board. I had to remind myself to stay still. Plus, the vibration was annoying - nothing like a 20psi tire to go over rough pavement.
- Riding at night is a dream, with my J5 Tactical V1-Pro Flashlight ($12 from Amazon.) Holy crap, this is the brightest flashlight I’ve seen in my entire life. Other flashlights shines some pattern that looks like a “@“ - This is a !&#$ing spotlight. At first, I rubber-banded it to the brim of my baseball hat, but realized I liked holding it in my hand better.
- Delirium mode, all day, every day. I can tell when I’m going around 15mph, and I can feel the slight pushback.
- I think I get worse “mileage” in Delerium mode, due to the higher-revving, and responsiveness. I’ll test this further.
- I can’t imagine going much faster on an electric skateboard, such as a Boosted, or Evolve, with those hard skate wheels. 15mph is plenty fast for me.
- I wish I had more range. I’m getting over 6 miles per charge.
- I ride goofy (right foot in front), and have been working on going backwards. First time was mega-difficult, I wiped out 2 or 3 times, but now, I can ride in both directions. So far, I haven’t found a reason to ride backwards - maybe less strain on my legs?
- My right (front) knee hurts after riding. Maybe it’s the twisting I’m doing upon dismount? - need to explore this a bit.
- ZERO NOSEDIVES! Thanks all previous posters, I know what to look out for.
- I live near a golf course, and riding on the cart paths is soooo much fun, with the hills and corners. Even more fun, is riding on the fairways, especially down hills. Just like snowboarding. The OW tire doesn’t damage the grass whatsoever.
- I can’t wait for my Apple Watch to arrive, for I feel like a dork riding down the street looking at my iPhone.
- I’ve met so many nice neighbors, who flag me down, asking what I’m riding.
- I live on top of a hill, and keep getting this message when I start off: "Your OW will turn off soon due to over regeneration..." So, I just turn off on side street, and wear the battery down 2 or 3 point before I re-attempt the hill. Is there a better way to handle this? If I ignore this, will the board shut off, and cause a nose dive?