The best shoes for riding?

• What are you guys wearing for riding?

I have been rocking these: http://www.zappos.com/nike-sb-check-canvas-black-white
    I like these shoes, they have great grip and I feel secure on the board in them. After a few miles though from all the bumps and cracks, the arches and my feet start to get super tired. Usually I'll have to take a break only for this reason. I'm wondering if I need something with more padding or arch support or is it just me getting old. Maybe something like these: http://www.zappos.com/etnies-marana-grey-burgundy

Anybody else have this issue and solved it?

• I rock the Nike SBs and love them for skating and onewheeling

• I usually wear Vans or Reef sandals (the ones WITHOUT the bottle opener on the bottom).

• My feet also start to ache after a few miles and I take a break. I'm normally wearing flat skate shoes but it happens with other footwear too.

• @Franky I've tried my regular Nike tennis shoes, but I don't trust them because they have all these pockets and gaps in the soles for "grip". Maybe placebo, but I thought my feet didn't get as tired as quick in those, but I wasn't doing as much as usual since I didn't trust them.

• no joke, bedroom slippers, ride every night, feel so in touch with the board, regular socks tho

• @dicorci No way, pics or it didn't happen :smiley:

• i'll get my gf to snap a pic tomorrow but no joke i've ridden in every shoe i own and the bedroom slippers are unparalled; just got back from a quick ride around the hood, no socks is the best if you're out for a quick ride, you can feel the board so cleanly through the slippers

• Cheap flip flops also work good if they have decent thickness.
    I might try some cushy inserts but I think it probably won't make a big difference.

One thing to keep in mind is where your feet placement is.
    If the front of your feet are sore then maybe you need to stand so you are more balanced towards your heels and vice versa.

• I'm very interested in this as well. My feet also start to ache after about 15 mins of riding (especially when I ride to work in my leather office shoes). When I wear my Nike Air Max 1s, the foot pain definitely isn't as bad, but since the soles are quite thick, I'm not as connected to the board. My Nike Huaraches have been an o.k. middle ground between comfort and feel, but I'd love to find something better on that front.

• My experience has been that your foot muscles will adapt and the fatigue/pain will go away. I think wearing minimalist flat bottom shoes is the best in the long term.

• @lynnpreston Very good to know!

• I've been using Vans. Started with Nike sneakers, but I seem to have easier dismounts with the Vans. Both were sore when I first started, but got better with time (don't think I was relaxing as much as I should when first riding).

• For street riding I've been making sure my lead foots toes are hanging over the front of the board so that my weight is totally off the front of that foot and mostly back on the heel. Then my back for is more evenly centered on the board.

This seems to give me good carving control while keeping my feet from cramping up as I keep relaxed and just lean to move.

Lat night after four miles straight my feet were just slightly aching vs feeling cramped or numb.

• Maybe my size 10 feet just aren't big enough then to do what you do @Franky

• Switched from Vans to Caterpillar trainers and my soles are singin'.

• I think my experience is similar to @dicorci @lynnpreston.

For me, though, I started off wearing my regular skateboard shoes. I found the board hard to control because they are pretty loose, and so my foot would move around in the show instead of controlling the board. Also, my feet would cramp up, I think because I'm scared to move them around (well, at least the sensor one) while I ride, lest I turn the board off.

I think tried my New Balance Minimus super-lightweight shoes... they are awesome! They are really snug, so when I move my foot, the board moves. But they are also so thin that I a great feel for the board and I get much less soreness and cramping. They feel great!

• @kbern I seem to have less foot cramping now, but a new issue and think you had the same issue. Now I'll get like sore toes the next day or so if I go on a long ride. I'm guessing my foot is moving around too much like yours in the shoe. I'll check these out, thank you!

• @kbern Yes, loose shoes = sore feet for me. Tightly laced Vans seem to work best.

• I've worn every type of shoe on this at some point...even golf spikes! I can say without a doubt, the best feeling is when I wear my Nike SB shoes. There's a reason skateboarders wear these and you get a much better feel on the board, as well as support.

I wear a lot of Nike flyknit shoes as well (roshe, lunars, etc) as those are generally what I wear to work or the gym, and while they work well, they are definitely not as good for OW as wearing the SB shoes.