After a failed dismount, my onewheel took off!!

• @lynnpreston Thanks for the feedback. So, I don't recall the version I was previously on (though I'm pretty sure it was well over 3000), but remember... this was not happening at the beginning of the session (which had 3034 on it too).
    Also, we weren't always jumping off at an angle, sometimes it was straight off.
    The "memory" idea is a good one, but I just got home and tried it again in my garage... I got on the board, didn't ride at all, jumped off (being careful to jump with both feet) and it took off... not as far or as fast, about 3', but still.
    I can understand people not wanting a brief sensor disengagement... I was worried about that too if I where to readjust my foot or raise the pressure on my toe while riding, but this situation is pretty crazy. Plus, the board knows it's not perfectly straight anymore (with the smoothest of jump-offs, the board tilts back on the heelside), which the gyro could detect and, combined with no sensor pressure, it could decide that this might be a good time to shut off the board.

Anyway, this all worked fine earlier in the session, so I'm feeling like it's just a bad sensor?

• @kbern - Well there goes my idea :-) I defer to @Future-Motion on this one.

• Yeah, this is a real problem that most have never experienced...especially people who received their boards at least a month ago or before. My reply above originally linked to a YouTube video showing this happen to Casey neistat. My reply is still above but my link was removed by support. What the video shows is not that extra second of engagement but rather the board almost stopped taking off without rider for many seconds before stopping.

Since this has only happened by people who recently received boards it either has to be bad hardware or a firmware glitch in a tweaked version of 3000. I'm assuming future motion knows what it is and I'm guessing it's firmware because they are more optimistic now about production times and there are these new firmware updates which may just be setting everyone with a newer release back to 3000 before the bug started.

One thing is for sure, I would not ride a board that has this issue around people, cars, or buildings until it is officially resolved by future motion.

• @Franky I wholeheartedly agree with your summary and conclusion and can't, in good conscience, ride the board around people or property until this is resolved.

One solution which solves all of these issues (not being able to adjust my feet while riding, long "off" delay times so that it doesn't turn off if I do move my feet while riding, the chance of it going haywire when I get off it) is to have a hand control (perhaps as simple as a ring with a button) that simply turns the board off. Then it would be 100% effective, we could do away with the clumsy foot sensors, move our feet around etc.

That said, one of the [many] reasons I chose a Onewheel over a Boosted Boards skateboard is that I really hated the Boosted board's hand control and I loved that the Onewheel has no hand control.

In this case, however, since it would be way more reliable and would only have to control "off" and "on" (i.e. I wouldn't have to worry about it while riding), I could stomach it.

Actually, I guess the problem with that solution is that if I fall off the board or jump off the board and don't turn it off with the hand control, it could go haywire.

Hmmm, how about a leash with a kill switch like on a jetski?

• @kbern the solution is just for them to fix this small amount of boards with the issue.

I was really concerned about safety after reading comments regarding injuries from the initial kickstarter backers. But most of that was from an earlier firmware and most universally agree that the 3000 firmware is much more safe than it was. My concerns are now alleviated as I've been riding everyday without any close calls or issues.

Tonight I rode 5.5 miles and almost all of it was at extreme mode top speed with continual pushback. When the board is working as it should and you know how to manage pushback, the ride is safe and fun. I would not want them to add a handheld trigger as I like having my hands free and let's face the fact that accidentally letting go of the trigger will be just as hazardous as people shifting their feet off the sensor.

• Hi Keith, (@kbern)

As we told you by email earlier today, we take safety of our riders to be the top priority and fully agree that a board that keeps moving after jumping off is not safe for you or the people around you. Once you send us the board back, we will inspect it and make sure it's returned to you in no time, perhaps we can drop it off at your place before the weekend and go ride together too?

Luckily, this is an isolated issue that other riders should not be worrying about.

• @Future-Motion Replies like this are the reason OneWheel rocks. The board is amazing, but the community & support is even better.

• I want to put this post to bed with a very happy ending and a really positive experience.

First I'd like to point out that sometimes forum threads can get off-topic and rathole... solving problems that don't really exist. It's easy to see that I did that here because, really, before this problem occurred I had no complaints or safety concerns about stopping, jumping off, falling off, etc.
    @franky made this same point, and he's right (I always seem to be in agreement with @franky!).

So, back to the problem... er... solution...
    You truly will not get better customer support than Onewheel and it makes SUCH a difference in the confidence in the product....
    At the same time I was posting yesterday, I was emailing Onewheel Support and was receiving responses almost immediately (I even sent them a video showing the problem). They were not patronizing me or treating me like I was just a silly beginner rider or that I didn't know what was going on. They took my feedback seriously and suggested I send the board in for inspection and repair, all at their expense.
    I told them I was reluctant to do that because I was so excited to finally have my board, and loved riding it so much, that I didn't want to let it go for the time it would take to send it in!
    A contact of mine at onewheel then stepped in (at 11:30pm last night!) and offered that if I dropped it off they would look at it and then deliver it back to me! So, that's what I did! I was able to wait there for a bit while they looked at it. We were able to reproduce the problem. Changed the footpad sensor but the problem still happened, then they changed the board the sensor feeds into and that solved the problem, and I was on my way!
    They said this was like the first time they had ever seen this problem, so I'm confident it will not happen again.
    Like @franky, I ride in Extreme mode, normally pushing up against the pushback, and did so again this evening... did many jumping dismounts to test, and everything has been fine.

Llike @forzabucks said, Future Motion and Onewheel just super rock. I mean, I'm just shocked at how well they took care of me.
    I'm also really impressed by this forum community... I mean, Onewheel is a pretty niche market and I was getting answers from all of y'all almost immediately... @J-Glide, @veryous, @lynnpreston, @Franky, @forzabucks and, of course, @Future-Motion. Thanks, folks!

My Onewheel keeps a big smile on my face when I'm riding, and the awesome people at Future Motion keep me smiling when I'm not. Thanks!

P.S. Onewheel clearly went above and beyond for me here, so please don't demand similar service from them in the future, but they'll take care of you for sure!

• @kbern That's awesome you were able to get that resolved so quick!

• I think I might be having the same problem. Going to try and get it on video so I can open a ticket with support.

Funny thing is that I also share the problem of not wanting to give up the board :-)

• +1. I had my board shoot off into the street (from the sidewalk) on my very first ride! I was very surprised to find out the board could drive away without pressure on the foot pad. Unfortunately, my board got ran over by a car, and is all damaged now. The first freaking time I ride it! OneWheel ignored this when I brought it up to them. I sent it back to One Wheel to get fixed. they fixed it. I haven't had a problem since, but I definitely have a trust issue with the board, and always dismount with the board facing a building, or a fence, or something besides people or cars.

• @Chriz Do you ride with the pressure pad in front or back?

• @Chriz Ya know, I was out with mine for the first time and had it skip off quite a ways unexpectedly a couple times. It shot off and wedged itself good under a truck in my driveway. I had to let most of the air out of the tire to free it. After reading this thread and one other, I'm trying to decide if mine needs to be sent in. Now that I'm a little more careful with my dismount, I'm hoping that it was user error, but I'm trying to be careful where the thing is pointing when I get off or if I get close to needing to bail.

Sorry that happened, but I'm glad you got your board fixed up. You should make a top-level post about it so that other new riders can learn from your unfortunate episode.

• @Chriz it's understandable that you would be paranoid after having that happen. However most of us have never experienced this and I don't think there have been any recent reports of this happening. My guess is that they fixed the problem boards and have safeguarded against this bug in production which is good reason not to worry about it. My only fear when riding is taking a nose dive from shifting my feet off the sensor which thankfully has not happened in a very long time.

• Just got my OneWheel <60 minutes ago....the board took off twice on me, leading me to this forum.

The first time the takeoff issue happened was literally my second time stepping on the board...I went MAYBE 6 feet at about 3mph...barely moving. Anyways, I fell off balance and hopped off, knocking the board on its side. As Im standing over it, I watch as the wheel starts accelerating to full speed. It was on its side, so it didnt move much, just scuffed the edge of the tire a bit....no big deal, I thought...Im a complete novice- must be a user error.

Fast forward (no pun intended) to 30 minutes later. I'm starting to get the hang of it as I'm riding down a side street in town...I start to pick up a little speed, a little too much speed for my comfort level, so I throttle back. As Im throttling back I can feel myself losing balance, and the board doesn't seem like it is slowing down, so I jump off. The board wobbles a bit from my dismount, but doesn't slow down at all...instead it starts accelerating, so much so that the board completely levels out, perfectly balanced, humming towards Main St at full speed.

I just stood there and watched my onewheel go full speed into traffic, crossing Main St, and only stopping when it finally smashed into the curb, separating the footboard from the frame in the process. Not to mention, traffic was brought to a screeching hault at this point, and everyone is looking at me like a complete psychopath....cant say I blame them. The only thing positive I can say about the whole experience is THANK GOD my wife wasnt there to witness it...

I knew there was some risk involved with this thing, but holy shitballs.....this issue could cause some serious damage.

Anyone know of a fix?

• could be two things:

1. board malfunctioning
    2. user error: could also be that you're not yet used to keep your centre of gravity above the wheel resulting in weird slow-downs and speed-ups. at least that's what happened to me in the beginning (or so i deduced).

what mode are you riding in ?

• @mack11 If you know you have to bail out then do your best to knock the board over in the process. That has been my approach. I avoid jumping off the board as much as possible. I try to use a controlled dismount at all times. But if you do get into a situation where you have to jump off just try to knock it on it's side.

• @chabis @mack11 Great point about the mode. I have noticed you dont get the same runaway board issue when you ride in extreme mode. Just another reason classic mode is DANGEROUS.

• I was riding in Classic mode when it happened. I changed to extreme after reading the suggestions here, and it is a much more controllable ride now.

However, I am still noticing the acceleration/full throttle after dismount issue. It happens inconsistently very, so it is hard to say what is causing it specifically, but I just rode for 2+ hours with two friends and we were all noticing it. In some instances the wheel would spin for 4-5 seconds after full dismount. The inconsistency makes me think it is a bug/software issue.

I emailed customer support after the initial incident this morning (no phone number to be found anywhere), but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for your help, and I'll keep you posted if I get an update from customer service.

• Anyone jumping off to stop is likely to have problems. There is nothing cooler than pulling up to some friends, balancing on the board and rolling your foot off the sensor until the board sits down for you. Then step off like a boss! Jumping looks desperate and causes all other kinds of problems. If you push off on the sensor foot too hard, the speed will engage as you jump and the 1W will take off on you or flip and spin damaging the wood on the side. Dismount like a boss. Way easy to do.