DANGER - Firmware Update 3000

• Wanted to post quickly while the blood is still seeping from my skin. Just updated to 3000 this morning and when I reached top speed the board wouldn't let me brake. It threw me off at 16mph. I was all the way back on the back skid and it kept accelerating. Cracked my phone, and have some seriously bad road rash.

• THANKS FOR THE WARNING! I will wait to update my board until more assuring information is released about the update!

• @erichs said:

Wanted to post quickly while the blood is still seeping from my skin. Just updated to 3000 this morning and when I reached top speed the board wouldn't let me brake. It threw me off at 16mph. I was all the way back on the back skid and it kept accelerating. Cracked my phone, and have some seriously bad road rash.

:fearful::scream: That's terrible.. are you ok?

• What mode were you riding in?

• I am ok.I was riding in Extreme but it felt like classic.... I just logged into the app and it says I need to update my firmware. I thought that was weird so I updated it logged out and logged in again via the app. It asked me to update the firmware to 3000. So now it is making sense. The board is potentially operating with partial firmware. Please be careful everyone

• What u meant by partial software
    what's ur previous firmware version

• @erichs Oooooo shit! Glad it wasn't worse off!! If that happened to me no telling what I would look like :0

• So when I log in to the app now it says that Firmware 3000 is needed to be downloaded BUT when I scroll to settings it shows that the active firmware is version 3000..... The only conclusion I can draw is a partial upload of the firmware package and thus not being able to brake. I have now downloaded the firmware and uploaded it 4 times and each time after I disconnect and reconnect it tells me to download version 3000.

• anyone else having the same issue as erichs? If its an isolated incident i will update my board but if this is happening for multiple people i will not.

• I did the firmware update a couple of hours ago and have ridden about 4 miles so far with no problem. I did notice after the update that the app automatically put me back to Classic mode. I switched it to Extreme have had no issues. I have not really pushed beyond top speed but I could not feel any noticeable difference after the update. Make sure if you do the update you switch back to Extreme before you ride

• I haven't updated yet, is there a release notes saying what was done besides what I saw on the app store update?

@Franky you update yet?

• I couldn't find any release notes on Facebook or the website. The only notes are the two lines of text which you get when you update the app on the AppStore

• Sorry to hear about the spill @erichs!

Firmware 3000 was released on April 3rd and it's what all boards have been riding on since. It introduced several important safety features including pushback when reaching top speed preventing riders from going over the front.

If you are not familiar with pushback, please check out Julian's comment on the following post: http://community.rideonewheel.com/topic/129/is-this-pushback

Some riders have the tendency to 'fight' the pushback and counter it by leaning forward to try to stay at level as you seem to be describing. Because you are actually leaning forward to counter the sensation of the board pushing you back, the board will not decelerate. That is why it seems like you can't slow down and your tail is dragging. Eventhough it seems like you don't have room to lean back, if you shift your weight back, you will slow down. The board is not controlled by the angle it's riding at with respect to ground but by where the center of mass of the rider is at with respect to the board itself.

Hope you are doing alright and that we shed some light on high speed pushback.

• @Future-Motion can you inform us on what the update changed?

• @SkateFirst.SamT No update was released. As mentioned above, FW 3000 has been out for a while now.

• @Future-Motion. Thanks for getting back. I am used to high speed pushback as I am usually always at full speed. This was different. I was 50% charged and braking did not work at all at top speed. When I got to the app it told me to download the firmware again. I did and then when I logged in again it said I needed to update again. This has happened about 4 times now. It is telling me that version 3000 is current but it is also telling me to download version 3000.... How can I remedy this. 760.519.4419

• A new version of the iOS app was released yesterday. My guess (as an app developer myself) is that each time the iOS app is updated, the app automatically loads the latest firmware to the board the next time it connects, irrespective of whether or not it is a different firmware version from what's already on the board. Just a guess.

• Glad I read this before seeing the firmware update in the app. First off I avoided getting really excited. Secondly I avoided spending my nightly ride trying to figure out what changed....and no doubt I'd convince myself I either liked or disliked the "new" version­čśä.

I only experienced this fight with pushback once or twice on my first day with the board in classic mode. Started feeling comfortable and going faster. Then started resisting pushback because I wanted to go faster until finally I was cruising along with nose in the air just trying to hang on. That's when I new I was ready for extreme and switched it over. Even then it took some time before I mastered extreme to the point where I have not had a close call in a while.

All of these incidents are not software glitches, they are stories about us learning how to master riding our boards. Obviously pushback is not a natural feeling but understanding it and managing it is a big part of riding onewheel at this point.

• @Franky I received two firmware updates today. The last one I think is 3030. I noticed that on extreme there is no push back anymore, or if there is it's very subtle. I also noticed about the time I used to feel push back, it now pulses forward making the board feel unstable. It almost feels like someone is pulsing the throttle. I just slowed down so I wouldn't die.