Foot sensor changes

• After adjusting my front foot while riding and deactivating the sensor (and taking a tumble) I'm a little gun shy now. Also while carving toe side my heel nearly comes off one side of the sensor.

Seems like one simple change that would help a lot is, if moving at speed, pressure on either sensor should be sufficient. The "slip your foot off" trick to dismount would only be done at a standstill. That way at full speed, it's harder to disengage. If you bail, both sensors are open so it stops.

Seems like a simple algorithmic change that could be done in firmware.

(Note: I'm talking about both sensors on the front footpad, not about the tail of the board.)

• @jpsimons Great idea, and I hope to see this in OW v 2.0. Unfortunately the rear foot pad doesn't have a sensor. It's just grip tape over wood.

• I just mean the front sensor -- my understanding is there's two halves that both need to be pressed to activate the OneWheel.

• @jpsimons We agree!! In fact, that is the current system. The two pads act independently. The board will only engage at level (from a stop) if you are pressuring both pads. However, once you are riding you can come off of one or the other as long as you are traveling at speed. This was designed to allow for riders to life their toe or heel slightly when digging into a deep turn. Once you slow down below about 0.5 mph with one pad pressured the board will disengage. Essentially there is a speed threshold where one pad engaged deactivates the board. See this video for a better explanation. Apologies for the low production value. Hopefully this makes sense!

• Ah, good to know! Knowing that will give me more confidence to carve. Thanks for the response.

• Actually let me add on to this thread -- the sensor being so important I think a real-time view of which sensor(s) are activated would be very confidence inspiring... and helpful to fine tune foot positioning technique.

• put sensors in both pads

i've let people try my one wheel and they try and bail but leave their front foot on the board not realize they need to "hop off" to dismount, they always end up doin the splits

• @Onewheel-Support said:

@jpsimons However, once you are riding you can come off of one or the other as long as you are traveling at speed. This was designed to allow for riders to life their toe or heel slightly when digging into a deep turn.

Which version of the firmware has this feature? A few weeks ago I went over a small bump and my foot lifted slightly - board stopped dead and I ended up face down in the middle of an intersection. This week I managed to borrow an iPhone and found there was new firmware so I installed it and today when riding I am certain my foot came off the pad - but the board kept going.

• what would happen if there was no sensor? or if you strapped down some wood over the sensors to keep them on?

also how easy is it to change the sensors and how much of the foot board to the electronics take up? I have seen photos of screws in the pads to keep the grip tape down - how close to all the electronics are they?

• @eish the sensor turning off keeps your board from shooting away from you when your not on it.

• @Franky I thought it levelled itself so if no weight leaning on one side it would just stop?

• It help you balance by moving but you and an integral part I believe.give it a try and let us know.

• the sensors both have to have weight on them and covered. Once you go over .5 mph you only need to cover one sensor to keep the board activated. See video and description below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSRbAf7obNQ