Onewheel in Asia?

• I'm curious if anyone is using the onewheel anywhere in Asia?

Right now, I'm an American living in Seoul, South Korea seriously contemplating (I am in no way joking when I say this) making one of the most difficult purchases in my life.

I'm from San Diego, California, where I'm sure the onewheel would be easily one of the funnest things ever. Big open boardwalks, nice parks with big trails, THE BEACH(es), perfect weather year round.

One of my contemplations when it comes to owning one in Seoul, is that the sidewalks can be VERY crowded at moments. Usually bottlenecks with people crammed in completely. I've seen a few videos of people riding through their office, and it seems like you can't quite come to a complete stop and edge along slowly through an incredibly crowded place. This might lead to me dismounting and carrying the thing, but that seems like it would kind of defeat the purpose of owning one.

I know there are definitely users in some densely populated areas, and I'm wondering how you all are getting along with your onewheel when going through very crowded areas in cities?

• I'd for sure say, you can ride it easily through different terrain or obstacles(once your decent at riding).

I think with the lights on normal people should realize they need to move-over.

• After practice you can ride in all sorts of situations but that doesn't mean you would want to.

Stopping isn't a problem but staying at a standstill isn't fun. Riding at walking speed or very slow shouldn't be an issue but it's not better than walking. If you have enough opportunity to ride freely then it's worth buying.

• Greetings from Tokyo man. I picked up my board in SF on a business trip so I managed to save myself 300 bucks. I declared it when I arrived back in Japan and they didn't make me pay any taxes. I kept it in the brown cardboard box that it came in and I just told them it was a skateboard and they waved me through.

Its illegal to skate here, even on a normal skateboard but I just use the Onewheel anyway. I live in central Tokyo but in a sleepy enough neighbourhood so I can ride around my neighbourhood without much hassle. I wouldn't really bring it into central Shibuya (Busiest place in Tokyo) at all though, way too crowded, its not that fun to keep stopping and starting in heavy foot traffic. Im pretty sure the cops would nick me in areas with heavy foot traffic as well. I've been stopped in my direct neighbourhood but I just rode away, although now I never ride past that particular police box anymore.

On a side note, its weighs 11kg, so unless you are a big bloke I'd say it doesn't make sense to really carry it anywhere for any decent amount of time.

• Thank you Banjo (and others).

I wanted to use this as a last-mile-transportation (I think that's the word) but it would be quite difficult to do in my area...

The thing still looks unbelievably fun... jeez.

P.S. 818, they do not move out of anyone's way.

• Riding in heavy crowds is the least fun. You have to be supremely confident of your balance and be able to maintain a dead stop without drifting as people will get way too close and if you lose your balance you are going to slam a 25lb board into their legs. Also you have to be able to come to a dead stop nearly instantly. People don't look where they are going and will walk/run right in front of you.

Happened to me tonight, someone staring at a mobile phone walked right in front of me. I had to stop without rolling backwards because a person was right behind me, closer than they wanted to be because I had suddenly stopped dead. Then hold position while they either move on (or realize how close they were to getting hit and panic freeze) so you have to be able to hold it.

I used to dismount at traffic lights, now I stay on the board for the practice. After a while you get confident enough to move with crowds but initially it is nerve wracking because of the risk of hitting someone.

If the entire route is crowded - walk.