Fingerprint recognition on the power button

• This would act as both:

1. an anti-theft deterrent

2. a child-lock

My daughter, who is nearly 2, is developing a healthy curiosity in my board.
    I'm teaching her that, in general, pressing buttons is a Good Thing :tm: but it would be handy if I could be certain that she can't switch my OneWheel on (until she learns how to hack it, of course).

• Great idea! Fingerprint sensor in iPhone doesn't cost much to add - granted they build at massive scales, but still, it would be doable.

Either that, or we could lock the board up via the app? So that no one can ride it until your iPhone recognizes your Thumb ID.

• This would be sweet, nice idea.

• We're barely getting a wheel cover. Think this would take a while

• @DVO said:

We're barely are getting a wheel cover. Think this would take a while

Classic. You know that was funny FM...

• Wheel cover changes the look, weight and marketability of the device. They also have to consider what can happen if something gets stuck between the wheel and the cover so there's safety issues.

A fingerprint power button is a drop in replacement requiring little thought or design. Just increases cost and requires some software support. Of course there's the inevitable support requests:

My OneWheel doesn't recognize my fingerprint because I was playing with a kitten and my fingers got scratched, what can I do?

Not a random example, actually happened to me. Couldn't unlock my phone with fingerprint and had to use backup password. Scratches weren't even that deep, I didn't even notice when I was playing with the kitten.

• @Andrew said:

Wheel cover changes the look, weight and marketability of the device. They also have to consider what can happen if something gets stuck between the wheel and the cover so there's safety issues.

A fingerprint power button is a drop in replacement requiring little thought or design. Just increases cost and requires some software support. Of course there's the inevitable support requests:

My OneWheel doesn't recognize my fingerprint because I was playing with a kitten and my fingers got scratched, what can I do?

Not a random example, actually happened to me. Couldn't unlock my phone with fingerprint and had to use backup password. Scratches weren't even that deep, I didn't even notice when I was playing with the kitten.

I think you're oversimplifying this. There are a lot of issues involved with adding something as delicate as a fingerprint sensor to something that we beat the hell out of on a daily basis. If they were to institute security, they would probably use the app and add an option to only enable startup when paired or a print is recognized by your phone. That said, I really don't see them instituting security like this.

• @sidebox said:
    There are a lot of issues involved with adding something as delicate as a fingerprint sensor to something that we beat the hell out of on a daily basis.

Good point, phones don't take this kind of abuse. Then again the button is recessed and relatively well protected.

• @Andrew said:

Wheel cover changes the look, weight and marketability of the device. They also have to consider what can happen if something gets stuck between the wheel and the cover so there's safety issues.

We don't even have an android app for the OneWheel yet bro, js

• @DVO said:

...and I have an Android phone, I feel your pain. But you know the forum is called "Wishlist" and not "realistic objectives" :smile:

• @Andrew said:

@DVO said:

...and I have an Android phone, I feel your pain. But you know the forum is called "Wishlist" and not "realistic objectives" :smile:

I just but an ipod itouch 5 gen..couldn't wait for the app.