FOCUS GROUP: Lower weight, Longer range, Faster speed?

• @jim fair enough - I still think I have that kid like ability not to break bones . . . despite fracturing my clavical last summer on my mtb - but I do like speed - I have hit 65mph on my park board on a good black (double black diamond in the states I think) and that was fun, even the time after where I wiped out a the bottom, and the time after that were someone cut me up at 60mph and I went flying into a lake . . . - pushback is fine, but I am wondering if they are limiting the speed somehow - think car engine chip to keep engine under emissions target

why did the front nose dive? and ouch that sounds painful

• @Newheel said:

@Andrew I know from talking to FM before that with the exception of the tire, every single one of the parts is custom made. All the electronics and mechanical parts were designed and are being made by them. Even the motor was custom designed for the Onewheel

All the electronics? It has an STM32F103V8T6 microprocessor made by STMicroelectronics.
    http://www.arm.com/innovation/products/onewheel.php
    This is a chip that was available in 2010 thus making it an off the shelf component. So not every part, and particularly not the electronics, is custom made.

@FM during Kickstarter said:

I can assure you that we are doing all we can to shave off lbs. Unfortunately most of our weight comes from the motor, and we are unwilling to sacrifice performance. We're hoping to get it closer to 20lbs when its all said and done.

@FM during Kickstarter said:

Building our supply chain (which is almost done) locking in our custom motor's, and developing the app among other things.

Elsewhere they noted that the 500W motor is 500W continuous but peak power is 2000W. So it is a relatively high (to my mind) performance and already custom motor.

So the motor is a significant weight component, high power and already custom. So shaving weight will require a better custom motor?!

• @eish I believe the simple fact that I was pushing the board beyond the max speed of the motor, thus it could not accelerate any more to keep me balanced. This is why the sudden nose dive. In the current firmware versions you get a bit of push back in extreme mode so you know your near the limit of the board being able to auto-balance. Yes it was very painful, but I managed to recover ;-)

• @jim Ah I see - its a shame the balancing and the wheel are not separate - have a main motor for the wheel and then an auxiliary one to control the balance - what happens if you are going down a big hill? (wales is rather hilly . . . )

• @eish on hills you are leaning back and braking which is nice because it charges the batteries with regenerative braking. If you don't brake you will hit pushback and have to break or you will nose dive forward.

1. Range (could easily keep on cruising)
    2. Speed (a couple of extra kph would be ace, not to mention a bit more acceleration if I really lean in)
    3. Weight (the weight is really fine for me, maybe a bit less would be good but, as is, it gives the board a really stable feeling)

I reckon if we had more speed and power we would have less lock-ups but I heard the acceleration was reduced (I personally never experienced the first version of extreme so hard to say) I don't know if that was for safety or to reduce wear but yeah...

...following on, if we had less lock-ups maybe we could have bindings and if we had bindings we could have more carving potential and more jumping and tricks. Would probably need a dead-man trigger for bindings though... Pro model?

• 1 Range
    2 Weight
    3 Speed

• Yep, my top three are also in the order of:

1. Range
    2. Weight
    3. Speed

• None of the above.
    This isn't really a focus group.

• Obviously in the minority...
    1 Weight
    2 Range