Accident log

• @wheeler If you find yourself flying FORWARD when the board accelerates, you're riding it incorrectly and you would benefit by correcting it.

Think about if you're standing on the hood of a car. If the car suddenly moves forward, you'll fall BACKWARDS. This is what the Onewheel is expecting to happen when it speeds up.

However, you're standing on the front bumper and leaning forward, when the car takes off it'll just launch you like a catapult.

• @kbman Nice video! But his "Ollie" looks like a great way to crush your fingers!

• I am still learning too but I don't think going back to classic will prevent this completely. Especially going down a hill. Like many others I learned by doing even after reading the advice. All I can say it is very hard to get back on the board if you get too far forward and go down any hill. I second @thegreck advice although I have a long way to go for skills.

• To elaborate on @thegreck's initial reply, you don't really lean forward to get speed, you press forward. When we recently rode around Golden Gate Park, I brought with a friend who had never ridden before. The way I described it to him was to imagine a vertical line from the center of the tire all the way up to his head. He wanted to stay centered on or very slightly behind that line. Riding with knees slightly bent to help absorb the shock of bumps and things, pick a foot to use for steering, and the other foot for speed control. I ride normal (left foot forward), so I use my front/left foot for speed control (press for speed, lift to slow), and my rear/right foot for steering (push down with my toes for a right turn, lift my toes up for a left turn).

It seems to me that the most important part of stability is where to keep your center of gravity in relation to the board. Staying over the tire, or slightly behind it allows the board to spend less energy trying to slow you down when it senses you're getting out of control. If it only has to lift your foot to slow you down, it will happen easier and quicker than if it has to lift the majority of your bodyweight.

As you can see from this drawing I made, I can't draw for shit. However, the guy leaning forward to go fast, is clearly unhappy. https://goo.gl/photos/dtaPfLXFReS67dLn9

• @akraut
    0_1461449502426_image.jpeg
    For Extreme use only

• Great advice all over and the drawing is classic. :)
    I read this and went for a ride.
    The slight bending of knees is utterly important as newbs tend to stand straight which I was doing.
    Wow! I made an effort to bend my knees slightly and what a difference. Helps with carving and everything else. Going down a step won't feel like onewheel is falling down before you. :)
    As mentioned before, I think the key is to keep the body perpendicular in all situations, going downhill, uphill or level.
    I try lean backward slightly before a bump.
    Also, I find the right sneakers do help. I wear similar flat Nike like the one on Onewheel header picture.
    I also tried grass and dirt for the first time. Just awesome.
    Anyway, keep them great pointers coming...

• @sonny123 Yes! Bending the knees is very important. Riding with your legs bent when you hit a pothole or uneven pavement can be the difference between riding on like it was nothing, and suddenly finding yourself pitched forward, flying out of control.

This has happened to me several times when I've been lazy and forgotten to bend my knees, but luckily I've been able to pull out of it before crashing.

• @thegreck

Yep, this is my favorite Onewheel video and you could see how it show how the pros ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5li3sSJFFcU

• @akraut
    The drawing helped. I was in the habit of leaning forward too much. If I lean back and concentrate on keeping centered on the board its alot safer. Im doing some rocking back and forth practice and trying to make this a habit. Thank you for the tips guys.

• Alright, here's a story. I've fallen multiple times, usually from a nosedive. Lots of road rash and major bruises. Now getting proficient on it, I'm humming a long on a grass field at max speed when my tire gets eaten by a divot and I become a human projectile. I get up. A little soreness in the left knee. Next day, soreness becomes pain and swelling. Next day is severe pain, red rash and a fever. Flash forward to today and the surgeon I just saw withdrew 60ml of pus out of my knee. I'm on 2 antibiotics, pain meds and I've missed 4 days of work. The tragic part is that I'm getting pressure from all directions to sell the board.

• And everything without early sign of infection? :-o

• Regarding medhead's fall, I don't ride on grass anymore either except slowing and carefully, otherwise you're at the total and complete mercy of any hidden defects, and the falls to me anyway seem harsher than asphalt, no road rash of course, but you can hit and dig in knees and elbows for shorter and higher g stop than you get on pavement...

• @medhead
    I beginning to think they cant fix this problem with a firmware patch.
    All the wheels must all have this issue. I have fallen every time on extreme with protection. Thing is it eventually catches up to you. You can only slam the same place so m any times before something happens. I would use classic for awhile if I were you.

• @Tartopom I thought the swelling was just a hematoma. The infection came on quickly. I was trying to treat it with just antibiotics but it wasn't going to get better until it was drained.

• @medhead the nose usually only hits the ground during aggressive riding, you gotta know when to hold back. I mean, you said it yourself, you were riding at max speed on grass, that's dangerous. If you are riding at max speed, you severely limit the OW's ability to self balance. It's a one wheeled vehicle, this demands a certain amount of caution or else bad things can and will happen.

• @wheeler @medhead @no Right. Plus, top speed on the OW is around 15mph, which is basically jogging speed. So if you're riding properly and have your weight distributed evenly on either side of the wheel, then even if the nose DOES hit the ground, you should be able to either level the board or run it out.

The fact that people are immediately hitting the ground when this happens points to improper riding. I've been riding for nearly five months, I commute to work every day, usually riding close to top speed, I've hit all kinds of unexpected potholes and pavement ramps, and I've never had a crash due to a nosedive. In fact, I've only fallen once, and it wasn't due to a firmware issue, or the sensor pads being too small, it was because I stepped off the back end of the board when I ran over a tree branch, and it slipped out from under me, so total user error.

When someone falls while riding a skateboard, it's never the skateboard's fault. Just because the Onewheel has electronics onboard doesn't mean there's not a learning curve or that no skill is required.

• I absolutely agree with @thegreck and @No. Knee bend is crucial at high speeds regardless of the terrain, but you gotta know when to ease off a bit. I feel horrible for all you nosedivers and your tales of road rash and infections and such. I've had mine now for 2 weeks, and I love pushing this thing to it's limits. Keeping your weight centered will keep you safe 9 times out of 10 (proper knee bend saves your ass the other time). It kills me to hear you guys talking about going back to Classic for a while, if anything you should roll Elevated for a while until you get the feel.

Bending your knees will not only absorb the terrain, it also lowers your center of gravity so it's easier keep your weight centered over the wheel. I have a couple curiosities for those of you who continue to nosedive:

1. How much experience do you have with other board sports?
    2. Are any of you thinking about hanging it up and selling your board (don't do it)?
    3. Is it possible that the pebble buildup in your lead foot is so much that it's considerably heavier causing these dives.

Seriously, don't give up. Take all this advice and practice. If you're in Portland, OR and need some help, let's go ride!

• @jordo Great points! For some reason I always forget to include the knee bending, but it is one of the key most important factors in riding without incident. It'll save your ass when you hit bumps you weren't expecting, because it allows your legs to work as shock absorbers, rather than if you're stiff-legged, which will cause you to lurch forward, and seals your fate to end up face down on the pavement.

• Thanks for all of the advice. @thegreck I solved the nosedive problem. My latest fall occurred when the wheel got swallowed by a hole in a grass field.@jordo I appreciate your words. Getting pressure from my wife to sell, but I'm not gonna. Anyone want to see the pic?!!

• Man I love elevated. My preference. Call me loco. Plenty of speed. Love the nose up I get. Easy transition from multiple terraforma, cracks etc.

Pratice pratice.