Funky Battery Issue

• I've mentioned a couple of early battery pushback warnings before on here, but tonight I have some data that hopefully helps get an answer or a fix. I seem to only get about 5.1-4 ish miles on my rides, and I get full battery pushback anywhere between 9% and 17%. Tonight I got pushback at 17%. Luckily, this happened only a few doors down from my apartment, so I didn't have to trudge home with my paperweighted OW.

I used my cicyle tracking app to track my ride and have screenshots below. Unfortunately, I turned of my OW before get a screenshot of the settings page, so while the settings all look blank, the battery reading is accurate and the rest of the info can be filled in from the cycle screenshots.
    Any insight? I feel like I'm losing a lot of ride time every day.

OWdata.jpg
    OWbattery.jpg
    cycledata.jpg
    map.jpg

• Hey @sidebox, try leaving your board plugged in to the charger over night until your next ride. That should help calibrate the pack. -Julian

• @Future-Motion said:

Hey @sidebox, try leaving your board plugged in to the charger over night until your next ride. That should help calibrate the pack. -Julian

Hey Julian!
    I actually do end up having it sit on the charger every night. Maybe my wife is unplugging it before going to bed, though. I'll make sure it happens overnight tonight and give it a test ride tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

• @Future-Motion Well, that didn't go so well... I just got back from lugging my OW about 3/4 of a mile. Her nose went up and forced me off at 18% battery tonight. Find screenshots below:

2battery.jpg
    2settings.jpg

Aaaaand the resulting lugging:
    2lugging.jpg

Any other ideas? I definitely want to be able to trust my battery meter. What point is battery pushback/shutdown supposed to happen?

• Sounds like a glitch with your board. I can ride mine down to 1%everytime with no pushback and that last percent lasts a while. I'm sure support will be interstellar in finding out what is going on.

• um is no one gonna mention the 24 mph top speed?

WTF IS THAT?!

teach me sidebox, teach me your seeeeccreeeetttss

• @dicorci hahaha. I tend to ride in the middle of the night when traffic is light, so I'm free to take advantage of long smooth roads. I find that going uphill lets me really gather a ton of speed, as opposed to downhill, which feels a lot slower.

This is a nice long road I like to ride on that is super smooth and has a nice steady climb of about 5-7%. I generally don't ride over the manhole covers and am able to get a ton of speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_qK8jtNRQ&feature=youtu.be

@Franky That sounds scary to me... It sounds like I might be without my OW for a period of time.... I'm hoping for an alternate home solution. I also have faith in support to get me sorted out. Also, 1%?!?! I would love that! That would let me get down past the Brooklyn Bridge on my nightly rides and back safely.

• Hey @sidebox , just curious... after your Onewheel dies, does the blue ring light blink any error codes?

I noticed your last screen cap shows the motor temp was at 132.80° (on my screen caps, I've gone up to 122°).

Now, I have no clue what the motor max temp on the Onewheel is or if push back occurs when it reaches max temp, but I found it interesting that in the owners manual there is an error code for "Over-temperature".

Hope your issue gets resolved.

• @Wayne hmmm. I didn't notice, honestly. I glanced and it and it was steady blinking, but not very fast. I'll check on that tomorrow.

• @Future-Motion any other ideas on a fix?

• Hey @sidebox,

You left it plugged in for a long period of time and it still seems to be running out of battery prematurely? If so, can you send a quick email to support@rideonewheel.com? we'll get back to you right away tonight once a support ticket is created.

• Yep. I have left it plugged in multiple nights in a row and all day at work. still getting shut down at 17-18%. Emailing now!

• @Wayne My motor reached 150 deg today and was fine. Just FYI

• @wayne @J-Glide @Franky looks like she has to go under the knife. I overnighted her to FM today. I'll let you know if they have any additional info. Thanks for trying to help me work it out!

• Wow. So I sent my OW in on Wednesday via Overnight (I couldn't imagine going through withdrawal for the time it takes to ship via ground), and I included tag so FM could send it back to me overnight. Julian seems to have sorted out my issue and then actually brought my board to the local fedex center, since I included a fedex tag instead of UPS (which is who they get pickups at their facility with). My OW is currently on its way back to me. I will have been without my board for less than 48 hours, thanks to the care and dedication these guys show. I am so impressed by FM's support. I don't know yet what was wrong with my battery, but since it is in transit I assume it has been all sorted out. I'll edit this to include the explanation when I get one.

• Hey @sidebox, glad we could sort you out before the weekend. Nothing worse than a weekend without a onewheel nearby.

Board came in working really well, but like you described, wasn't giving you the full expected range. It just needed a more aggressive battery calibration that unfortunately the charger wasn't capable of providing.

Might have thrown a surprise in there too. Enjoy!!

• @Julian ! This will make my night rides that much better. I was able to almost make it down to Brooklyn Bridge Park and back, now I should have no problem with that, with the extra 15%. Thanks again for the personal touch and great work!

• @sidebox @Julian You got a fender didn't you?!?!???!?!??!?!??!??!? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Come on, prove me wrong! :smiley:

Last night as pebbles were going in my shoes and up my shorts riding, I never wanted a fender more as I kept stopping to dig out the rocks in my shoes.

• @veryous hahaha. I probably would have been sworn to secrecy, had I received fender, no? But, really, I didn't get a fender. @Julian replaceed my front footpad! I had the older style, without the plastic underneath. Now that he has replaced it for me, I am going to screw it down today. This company rocks!

• hmmm......I really want to believe you.....but I really want you to have a fender more because then it's more real and closer.