Foot Fatigue

• hey all, been riding a week or so. Love the board, use it all around town. I feel like I'm riding a hoverboard :)

The issue I have is with foot fatigue. Specifically, I'm nervous about moving my foot from being squarely on the blue 'activation' area of the footpad, so I don't move it at all while riding. It would be more comfortable if I could shift my feet.

Is the footpad really sensitive? Perhaps I can move it more. I get a sense of the range of the sensor when I'm getting off the board. I'd just hate to de-active it while riding and fly forward.

Any advice is appreciated.

A

• @silentdrew haha this was me at first too and I thought it was the shoes. I even made a post about it. You will get used to it more and more as I did, it took me a couple months to build up the strength.

What I also learned was I wasn't carving enough. Once I started carving more, the constant weight shift helped tremendously. I like to avoid sidewalks where that constant bump doesn't jolt my feet every three feet.

Once the board is over .5 mph you only need to cover one sensor in order for the board to be more active so rotate your foot to a more natural position if needed as it doesn't need to stay perpendicular to the board and cover the sensor perfectly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSRbAf7obNQ See video description below for more.

• It's natural to ride really tense your first few times out. Once you relax and trust the board, your feet will stop feeling like they need to hold on for dear life. As @veryous mentioned, the weight shift from constant carving will keep your foot muscles relaxed and help you ride longer.

• @veryous thanks for the video. So once I'm ride over .5 mph I can relax that front foot a bit bc my back foot is on it? I was wondering if the both footpads were actually sensors, because I've always mounted my back foot first and then front foot on the pad with the OW logo, so I assumed that was the 'sensor pad' side.

• @silentdrew I am unaware of the percentage needed to have the sensor activated, wish I knew. I wouldn't move it off one of the sensors though fully because you may slow down for whatever reason and take a humdinger. Seriously just balance in one spot, don't roll, start moving your foot around so it's at more of what you feel is a natural angle. If it deactivates the board, then you know you aren't covering enough. I was paranoid at first and always kept my foot perpendicular. Then I tried this and realized I could have more of my foot off and it's okay. I only wear a size 9.5 so I think it's harder for me angle my foot more than others.

• @silentdrew Goes away with about 60-100 miles of ride time. You are using new muscles and it takes time to strengthen them. I am a runner and I am pretty athletic. Still it took me that long. Enjoy! Its fun right?!!

• @veryous @silentdrew I also think that carving more would help, also, once you get the hang of it, you don't want to go in a straight line ever again :)

• @Polle Thanks to Sam, I realized I wasn't carving as much as I should, I was more turning than carving. Once I made this genius observation, my foot fatigue all but went away instantly. =)

• Agree with all comments in this post, mirrors my personal experiences. Only the pad with the blue strip is the sensor (I + most riders put this up front), and the other pad (used for my back foot) has no sensor. Once you get going more than .5 MPH you can move your foot off the sensor completely and the board continues riding. If you slow down below .5 MPH and your foot is still off the sensor, onewheel will deactivate and the gyros disengage (i.e. board will 'fall over', won't stay level) so be prepared for that. I did find that changing from Nike running shoes to Vans was a nice improvement- more comfortable for me and feels like I have more surface area covering the pads. Carving absolutely helps relieve foot fatigue. Also (as hard as it is) taking a day off to let your muscles recoup helped me a lot, as does stretching before / during my rides. I've also been progressively widening my stance- front foot a bit more forward, back foot quite a bit further back- feels like that helps me with overall control and reduces fatigue.

• My foot fatigue has gotten better now that I'm months into riding. Normally I'm very careful about keeping y front (sensor) foot from moving. But tonight I finally experimented with moving it thanks to the video fm posted showing the user riding after the sensor foot swiveled on the heel with toes forward off the board. Typically it's my toes that are sore so I did this same move tonight while riding and it really relieved my toes after I swiveled them forward and had all heel on the sensor without the board shutting off. After that I felt great and I thought this freedom would enter me into a new era of foot stretching while riding..... Unfortunately my next try was all toes on both feet at which time the board shut down and I went flying into the dark. Thankfully I wasn't going too fast and my ninja moves got me to roll on my back which saved me and my drink as it ended up held in the air through it all. Got back on thankful that I dodged the bullet but also realizing I probably went so much on toe that I went entirely off the sensor... Lesson learned. Kept riding and a little later again tried swiveling my toes forward but this time the board shut off. I think I may have been going too slow though which is why it happened and why I ended up on my feet. Guess I'll do more experimenting next time.

• Seems like a software change that gives you a fraction of a second leeway off the pad might prevent some of these crashes. Or, maybe a software change where a foot of the pad at speed the board slows a little more progressively at first - perhaps some pushback to aid the rider in getting their sensor foot back down.