Double footpads or always at on avoid footpad lost nosedive

• @hekkubus Pushback only happens when you're moving too fast or your battery is about to die, and you have to be properly balanced on the board with your center of gravity over the wheel for pushback to even work. Leaning too far forward makes it impossible for the wheel to compensate for your weight, which causes the nose to hit the ground. And since the board is attempting to keep up with you by increasing your speed, it can be dangerous because the wheel is spinning faster, but the nose is digging into the ground.

It's a failure of the system due to putting too much weight too quickly on the front, and nothing can be done when the system fails. It's just something you have to be aware of and be careful not to do.

• @thegreck said in Double footpads or always at on avoid footpad lost nosedive:

@hekkubus Pushback only happens when you're moving too fast or your battery is about to die, and you have to be properly balanced on the board with your center of gravity over the wheel for pushback to even work. Leaning too far forward makes it impossible for the wheel to compensate for your weight, which causes the nose to hit the ground. And since the board is attempting to keep up with you by increasing your speed, it can be dangerous because the wheel is spinning faster, but the nose is digging into the ground.

It's a failure of the system due to putting too much weight too quickly on the front, and nothing can be done when the system fails. It's just something you have to be aware of and be careful not to do.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that when I did a face plant on the asphalt, that's the reason it happened. I since have been more wary of staying balanced.

• I think ultimately the boards could shut off on their own with no warning, but I fully believe that most cases are user error. I have been fortunate to not have had another nose dive (not counting where I've hit roots, pot holes in the yard, etc.), but I think that as I've gotten better at boarding, I am able to adjust to the conditions that could cause trouble.

• @hekkubus said in Double footpads or always at on avoid footpad lost nosedive:

I think ultimately the boards could shut off on their own with no warning

That's scary. A couple of times my board has shut off when I was standing still on it, but I wasn't completely sure it wasn't because I took pressure off the sensors, and since I was stopped, maybe it thought I was trying to dismount? But yeah, scary to think of that happening when I'm riding at speed.

• Occasionally the board cuts out on me when I'm stopped or just getting started. I believe it's my foot not actually pressing down both sensors, and I have to actively try to distribute my weight on my foot to press down both of them when I start. Which also leads me to believe I probably ride most the time with only one sensor being pressed, but I've never had a problem with the board shutting off while moving.

• @WyvernKing That's exactly what I think is happening to me as well. I'm probably lifting my toe to readjust when I'm standing still, and the board goes into dismount mode. Luckily this doesn't happen when you're going over .5mph or I'd probably be nosediving a lot.

• I think many of these issues are solved by riding with the sensor on the back foot rather than the front. When your foot loses sensor contact, most of the time it's the front foot, whereas my rear foot stays glued to the board.

• dshack, I've been experimenting with your idea of keeping the sensor foot on the back and I have so say it seems you are correct, that the back foot keeps better contact over the widest range of moves and conditions. Its a little weird because when starting out you tilt back then head the other way, but that's a small thing if it puts this issue to bed once and for all as it seems like it might, so I think I'm going to start teaching the new people to use the back foot instead. For me, however, unfortunately I think its too late to change, everything's unconscious with me now so not sure I can see starting over...

• @SeaP90d Yeah I was watching some of the footage from my last video and on the closeup shots I did with the selfie stick, I noticed my front heel comes off the board completely a lot when I ride. Luckily as long as one is on the sensor, I'm okay.

• @SeaP90d Tilt back? I mount by doing the following:

• Put footpads at rear of board.
    • Place right foot (I ride regular) on footpad to engage.
    • Place left foot on the other side and stand up

I don't think I've noticed any backwards tilting or motion; I can generally just get up and go.

• Thanks dshack, I can't believe I never figured out you can start out planting your sensor pad foot first and leveling with your other foot, I guess I assumed it would want to squirt away or something if you step on the sensor side first. So there you have it, one more reason to think about getting used to riding with the sensor pad in the back...

• Hello everybody !
    Is someone can explain me why the sensors are working during the cruise ?

If the sensor would switch off over 2 miles/h for instance, it will avoid the unexpected nosedives, not?

Thanks

• @jllasseri Once you're moving over .5mph (that's POINT five), you only have to have one of the 2 sensors covered. This is to allow a little unintentional foot movement.

But if you uncover both while riding, the board stops. Otherwise, if you fell off the board, it would keep flying along until it smashed into something.

• @thegreck you're right. It's probably the reason why we need to sensors working differently according the speed. not ?

• @jllasseri Exactly. To dismount, you just have take your foot off on one of the 2 sensors, but only when you're stopped. Once you're riding, though you can take your foot off one sensor without anything happening, to allow for accidental foot movement.

• @thegreck sorry when talked about 2 sensors I meant when for each foot

• @jllasseri sorry when I spoke about 2 sensors I meant one for each foot

• @jllasseri I see. You actually said "to" not "two," which is different.

• @charge360 I've been riding awhile now (321 miles) and a big motivator for writing the powheel app was to get the metrics on why the nosedive was happening. It was happening like once a week, it f'in hurt, especially when it was concrete - which was most of the time it actually happened.

OW riders have said that as they gained more experience it happened less. For me, I wish it was the case. It still happens as often when I was a beginner. The only difference is that the pain of falling has taught my brain/body to know when it's going to happen and I can run it out or lean back enough to adjust when it happens. And it seems to happen when,

• I'm on the road/concrete and there is a sudden elevation change (a pothole or speed bump). It can also happen on loose gravel, again, when there is sudden elevation change.
    • Sometimes it's just some slight road change. For example, recently I went over a loose manhole/electrical cover on the sidewalk and got a sudden nosedive.
    • I'm going super slow and am leaning to far forward. This is usually because I'm trying to go up a sharp bump and the OW just doesn't have the power to do it.

I'm going to take all the stats of when the nosedive happens and see if I can find the pattern. Also thinking of adding a feature to the app to have peeps that use it submit/tag when a nosedive happens - that will help build models/supervised data to help determine the state of the OW when it happens. And if I can couple it with mobile stats (geo-location, sensor data from the mobile device, etc) that might help even more.

Anyhow, TLDR; nosdives happen but with experience you'll figure out how to recover from 'em.

• @kwatts said:

Anyhow, TLDR; nosdives happen but with experience you'll figure out how to recover from 'em.

And with even more experience, you'll anticipate and the nosedives will not happen as often...