New iOS App for the OW – Beta testers wanted

• @BadWolf sorry. Yes I know. I was just submitting my approval

• @thehoff And maybe more importantly, a NO sensor activated alert. That way we can actually see how many of these nosedives are caused by sensor issues.

• @thegreck I have said it before and I believe you have as well but I really think most nosedives are user error that are blamed on the board. A lot of it I think comes down to inexperience and the board makes you feel very comfortable within a few days so people start pushing the limits before really knowing what it actually is and is not capable of.

• @ahxe45 I know this is how my nosedive happened. Showing off, heal side carve uphill!!

• @ahxe45 That's exactly why I'd love to see this feature, to get this cleared up once and for all!

• @Rno said in New iOS App for the OW – Beta testers wanted:

@Rno 0_1473319236932_image.jpeg<

tack this on the rear and you will never nosedive again.

• @ahxe45

Agreed.

In fact, after a nose dive, the rider will lose confidence and start riding slowly and gradually building confidence over time in which he's gaining more experience and understanding how OW works.

I know it happened to me.

• @thehoff said in New iOS App for the OW – Beta testers wanted:

@BadWolf sorry. Yes I know. I was just submitting my approval

Sorry, I meant nothing bad of it. Just that the feature are with Andi, and its up to him to decide if it possible or not. ;)

Time will show..

• @Rno Graphs (timelines) will come ;) I also tried out your suggestion and when carving for about 0.5 miles in ended up in this: 0_1473406278530_FootPad.jpg

My testing trip was kind of frightening because as I stopped for a break and to check the messages, I realized that I had forgotten my pads and even the helmet at home - and then the app told me that you're relying on one sensor most of time while carving ...

So just throwing a message everytime one of the two sensor looses activation is not feasable.
    Anyway I've implemented this feature in a way that works: An alarm gets triggered when moving faster than 5 mph (or 8 km/h) and one foot pad sensor looses activation for more than 5 seconds. This feature can be useful to detect bad sensors and a misaligned foot which can easily happen when riding a longer bumpy path (especially when riding in the dark).

@thegreck Unfortunately, this won't work in a way which makes sense - When this alarm would get triggered all the app could do is to tell you "get well soon" :). The app can't distiguish if you got off accidently or intentionally (you can't find out what happened first - nosedive or dismount). I have to think about that, maybe there's something I can do to make this feature usefull when taking the pitch angle into account ... We'll see :)

Btw, a new version which will be available soon on the app store has been sent out to the OWB test community:
    New Features:

• Estimated remaining range according to your current riding profile (Tap on the consumption or regeneration bar ...).
    • An efficiency display tells you when you're squeezing out the maximum range out of your battery (Tap on the consumption or regeneration bar - it's the bar behind the estimated range label).
    • Current power consumption and regeneration in Watts - also displays the max. values of the trip (Tap on the consumption or regeneration bar ...).
    • A footpad sensor warning which triggers at speeds higher than 5 mph or 8 km/h when only one of the two sensors has been activated for more than 5 seconds.

Changes:

• Slightly new app icon.
    • Onewheel movement display's side view now also considers riding preference (regular/goofy).

Fixes:

• Controller and battery temperatures were not accurate.
    • Onewheel movement display's baseline is now properly aligned on iPhone 4s devices.

• Ive never crashed so many times before as I did trying out the one sensor warning.. haha! I should go test it somewhere soft.. not on asphalt :P

• @SeeTheInvisible said in New iOS App for the OW – Beta testers wanted:

@thegreck Unfortunately, this won't work in a way which makes sense - When this alarm would get triggered all the app could do is to tell you "get well soon" :). The app can't distiguish if you got off accidently or intentionally (you can't find out what happened first - nosedive or dismount). I have to think about that, maybe there's something I can do to make this feature usefull when taking the pitch angle into account ... We'll see :)

if speed over >10km, make note if no sensory input?

• @BadWolf / Website said:

Ive never crashed so many times before as I did trying out the one sensor warning.. haha! I should go test it somewhere soft.. not on asphalt :P

Haha, now you see what I did the whole evening yesterday :)

@Username / Website said:

if speed over >10km, make note if no sensory input?

Will try this out ;)

• @SeeTheInvisible wow!! Sounds amazing

• @SeeTheInvisible Great! you've already investigated on this direction.
    You've nailed it down! adding the board position!

Here an imagination of the Black Box Graph:

Displaying a pushback leading to a driver goofing with sensors :-)
    Graph with: 1. Board position, 2. Speed, 3. Footpad information cumulative foot sensor,

0_1473422184723_BlackBox.jpg

Just need to log 5 minutes back in time and stop recording when wheel stops.
    Anyway you seems more advanced in the study then I am!
    Can't wait to seeing this!
    Cheers
    Arnaud

• @BadWolf Ok, the "no rider detected while riding fast" message seems to work in a simple way without triggering false alarms :)

@Rno Yeah, thats a way which definitely would work to report driver issues, I already played around with such things but at the moment everytime I open my MacBook to further improve OWB, my wife (and @cr4p) kicks my ass because I actually have to finish my master's thesis first :). But don't worry, there are many of those nights where my has to go to bed earlier than me, this is OWB feature time ;)

PS: I think my wife just want's to have her own OW (she will get one if the earnings from OWB allow it, so maybe 2020, lol).

• @SeeTheInvisible said in New iOS App for the OW – Beta testers wanted:

@BadWolf Ok, the "no rider detected while riding fast" message seems to work in a simple way without triggering false alarms :)

That's what I was going to suggest. It's very rare for someone to intentionally dismount when riding at speed, so making the dual-sensor failure alert only trigger at a certain speed should be perfect clear up whether pressure came off the sensors before the nosedive, or after (since it won't be triggered after a nosedive, as the board will have stopped).

• @thehoff Whoa! Was that person on the bike at the end okay?

• @thegreck hope so.. Need to ask @SeeTheInvisible ?

• @thegreck & @thehoff yes, she had luck that it ended without serious injuries.