Update - BAD CRASH - 2 Week old Onewheel for sale

• @hustle Version 3056

• I own 3 OW and I love them and still ride daily, even after two fractures. The first time I fractured my elbow I was going uphill. The board flipped me hard. I think this had to do with inexperience. The second time I just took some gravel the wrong way.

I'm glad I didn't give up, I have a blast on the OW and I'm always stopping by the skate parks and grabbing people to go ride with me. They all have hopped on and rode the trails like champs. Be safe, smart and ease into this sport and you can have a great chance of keeping safe.

• @McFly holy crap is that a bruise??? What a color! Sad to hear you're leaving the OW family, but I totally respect your decision. Hope you can find something else fun to try instead :)

• @1woman1wheel yes, that is the bruising on my arm, my shoulder is broken. I hate to leave the Onewheel family also I am trying very hard to convince myself not to sell it.

• @McFly There is definitely a trust factor that has to be rebuilt after a fall (says the girl who lost most of the skin on the left side of her body the third day of owning a OW). If it's worth the risk to you, you'll find a way to do it; just take it slow!

You could always keep it for grass/beach rides. I don't know where you live but the beach is a great place to practice because the landing is so soft! Grass can be bumpy and tricky in its own way, but generally is more forgiving than pavement.

Of course, if you have that "need for speed" and can't resist, maybe selling it is wisest ;) I didn't think I was riding very fast but I found myself just casually going top speed on my way to the grocery store.

• @McFly

It's a painful decision but you have to think of your family.
    At least, until you've recovered. ;)

It sucked when I gave up skiing after I blew my knee.
    But I took up RC flying and boy did I have fun with it and still do.

There are safer/fun gadgets out there.

Plenty of buzz on the cycleboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz3Wkj9GlAc

• Amazing stories here!!!!

• A week after the crash... Broken shoulder. However, I think I've decided not to sell! 😎0_1473000524090_image.jpeg
    0_1473000552627_image.jpeg0_1473000661206_image.jpeg

• Glad to hear you may keep it after all! Heal well bro!!

• other alternatives are the ninebot segway mini or the ninebot one e.
    I may get the one e. Its like a one wheel minus the board. The onewheel is still cooler for carving like youre on a snowboard. Heal up and get some good pads and maybe get back on the horse. Again. Think about it

• I agree with @frotozoa ... just take it slow next time. Get to know your board before you start taking risks. You shouldn't be going fast enough to fracture a shoulder when you're just starting out. Or ever. You can still have a lot of fun carving on a Oneweel at slower speeds.

• @thegreck I didn't think that I was going that fast 14.5mph as shown on my OWheelbuddy app??? In classic mode I have video showing 12+mph with pushback but controllable.

• Ok, so.... My 24 yr old son visited today and rode my board for the 1st time. He was 17+ mph in just a couple of minutes. I'm still baffled - why did I nose dive at 14.5mph? Really struggling with riding it again or selling.

• @McFly Too much weight put on the front of the board = instant self-balancing failure. That's the reason for most nosedives. It's even easier to do when going uphill, because the board is still trying to stay level even though the ground is at an angle (therefore closer to the nose of the board).

Your son is probably lighter and was keeping his center of mass over the wheel, and was on flat ground.

• @McFly besides uphill balance issues if your foot comes off the pressure plate instant nose dive. I'm always paying attention, making sure my foot stays steady on that plate. You can ride again and be safe. I had a radial fracture, rode about a week after and didn't crash for two months. I couldn't so I didn't, I took it slow and safe. I crashed again when I started pushing it and again another fracture. So now it's been four months, no crashes and I've learned a lot now, I can go fast, be safe and ride almost anything. So I wish you the best either way you go.

• @thegreck makes sense, thanks.
    But just for the record, he's heavier than I am. 🤓

• @McFly Haha... sorry, when someone says "my son" I automatically picture a small child.

• I'm 63, and have had my OW about a month. I ride dirt exclusively- as in dirt roads because that's all there is on this ranch. First time I rode it (Classic mode), after cruising the flat a few laps and feeling OK, I tried going down the dirt road on one side of the house- a nifty little hill kinda the same height and steepness as a skate park- like a nice little five foot wave, and wooomps- that little sucker took off right out from under me and I came down real hard, square on my upper back and shoulders.

My head bounced off the deck, and was I ever thankful I had on my helmet, elbow guards, wrist guards and knee guards. My back ribs hurt for a week. I won't ever consider hitting my little playground without all the safety stuff, long pants and long sleeve tee shirt. All those little pebbles and dirt get sharp even if you're only going eight or ten miles an hour. Learned my lesson right from the get-go.
    Anyway, after a week of yoga focused on my upper back, and back in general, I got on it again...this time realizing exactly what an OW is and what it isn't. Although some of its ride characteristics can be compared to other board sports, it's an entirely different animal all together- a lot of fun but I've come to realize that just because I skated when I was a kid a lot, and surfed out at the Channel Islands (CA) all the time for over 30 years , it definitely doesn't mean I'm going to jump right on an OW and master it any time soon.

The duration of service of my body parts has become a finite entity at my age, and I intend to protect them for maximum uninterrupted service. My sessions are getting longer and longer as all those muscles I forgot about are being reactivated, and I spend a lot more time upright before I fall now- it's all dirt and I'm learning how to ride the rough stuff- 'cause that's all there is. Depending on the fall, it may be time to put it away for the night, or I might get up and give it another go until the second fall. It's really a great way to workout. It's amazing but I'm seeing a lot of improvement in overall toning of my body, plus what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger, so I take the falls as part of the learning curve, and they've become fewer and fewer. I'm really stoked- playing with the modes now. It's not surfing or skating, but it makes me live in the 'now', and takes my mind off all the other stuff going on in the rest of the world. It's a hell of a workout.

I'm a little amused when I see OW's ridden with minimal or no safety gear- but I've only done the dirt, so maybe riding the smooth is way different. All I can say, especially when these guys are talking casually about some of the speeds they're hitting, is don't be a knucklehead- wear your safety gear! It will save you a lot of pain and a lot of money!

• @Dirt_Surfer You're an inspiration :) Sending you positive vibes for your rides!