OW Foldable idea

• Hello,
    Just waiting for mine, dreaming of nice memories and bruises... I've sketched an idea of a foldable OW.

This is a free idea, probably costly to develop... all i know is I wish I could fold it and keep it 'light'.

0_1472554343664_Foldable-OneWheel.jpg

Cheers
    Rno

• @Rno Bad ass idea but I don't think It would be doable and hold it's structural integrity.

• Very cool concept. Long term durability might be an issue but for a travel or lite model it could work.

• It's a great idea and absolutely could be done. The OW is not stuck with the current frame design. As time goes on I could see OW offering other designs from aluminum, carbon fiber and maybe even titanium.

• @Roy You wouldn't be concerned with any hinges breaking or anything from the weight on both side of the wheel? I guess you could get a brace that slides over the frame locking it in.

• Hustle, I don't think it would be too hard to engineer, but it would add cost and also weight.

• Neat idea, but I wouldn't want a foldable snowboard, surfboard or skateboard. So I'm not down with a foldable OW either. Really they are not that big that they are hard to deal with, are they?

• @CABALLERO said in OW Foldable idea:

Neat idea, but I wouldn't want a foldable snowboard, surfboard or skateboard. So I'm not down with a foldable OW either. Really they are not that big that they are hard to deal with, are they?

No, they're tiny! I keep mine in my pocket.

• Nice idea, and I'm sure it's possible to make it strong enough. It cracks me up how unimaginative people usually are about strength.

A good example is my Strida folding bike. Several things look impossible, like the folding plastic petals - which hold your entire weight when extended - or the fact that each wheel uses a single fork on 1 side (instead of a fork on each side). yet, both are plenty strong, and lightweight.

anyway, you may be missing the biggest feature of your folding design..... you don't need to stuff it into a backpack, because you could easily roll it behind you like carry on luggage. you just need a long handle.

This is actually one of the best features of the Strida folding bike - when folded up, you can roll it along beside you with 1 hand... I'd love to see that on the OW...

• @jeff8v7

True, or the Brompton bike.
    Folds 3 ways and feels as sturdy as full size bike.

It's also been done on e. skateboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-53aDuCzQ

• Meanwhile I made a shoulder bag: Cheap

1. Nice large Strap from an old bag can go around the frame (Black).
    2. Wheel protection (in fact hip/dirt protection, in Yellow) made with soft plastic and strings.

0_1473061933879_Summary.jpg

Definetly in need of a fender.

This is how it stores, really light:
    0_1473061968027_Summary 2.jpg

I am oK with "Diaper like" comments but more looking for improvment ideas.
    This is for urban use in underground with lots of staircases etc.

Bye
    Arnaud

• This post is deleted!

• RNO, love the simplicity and how you cover the wheel. The other solutions do not seem to address how dirty the wheel is.

• @Rno nice carrying solution!

I live in Tokyo and take my OW on the train often. The floors are super smooth here, so I found it easier to simply roll the OW instead of carrying it. Might not be as practical with stairs though...

Here's the link if you're interested...
    http://community.onewheel.com/topic/571/build-you-own-clip-on-wheels-for-5

• @jeff8v very Nice, I'll add this to my quiver! love the "Dirt Cheap" solutions, don't know why.