Electric skateboards now legal on bike lanes etc.! YES!

• Yikes! If the max really is 1000w then that'll actually block all the better e-boards as well...

• Bummer if they start checking the wattage...

In my state in Australia there is specific mention of electric vehicles but to be legal they need two wheels :(

I think there was a legacy law ages ago regarding powered vehicles because people keep telling me it's illegal because it "has a motor", but I've read up and I think that's just old legislation.

I ride in stealth mode (lights off) through the city and nobody seems to notice me. I was pulled over by a cop once but nothing came of it, I was just riding on what I thought was a bike lane but it was actually a road, he simply told me to leave the road.

As long as nobody is being stupid with one, I think we are good. It only takes once incident to ruin it for everyone, though, so ride safe!

• @lardnicus said:

In my state in Australia there is specific mention of electric vehicles but to be legal they need two wheels :(

In Germany the same... :-(

• @lardnicus said:

just stick a skateboard wheel on the back or side of it - and boom second wheel :p

• @danriverdale Hopefully the speed part is more important than the wattage, because it also mentions that it must be incapable of going faster than 20mph. Seems like that would be the danger, regardless of how many watts the motor is.

• They won't check...how could they? No biggie..Just glad it's all good now

• everytime a cop or park ranger flags me down... they ask if they can try it

• @danriverdale According to OneWheel, the motor is only 500W. EDIT: it peaks at 2000! Thanks for the correction next poster :)

Onewheel Technical Specifications
    Motor: 500W transverse flux hub
    Battery: Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) 48V
    Sensors: Solid State MEMS 6-DOF
    Tire: 11.5×6.5-6 Vega
    Max lean angle: >30 degrees
    Top speed: 15 MPH
    Typical range: 6-7 miles
    Recharge time: 20 mins (ultra charger)
    Dimensions: 9×11.5×30 (in)
    Weight: 25 lb

• TechMSS - In case you didn't realize. The 1w motor is rated at 500w constant and 2000w peak. Generally speaking an electric motor's "power" rating is determined by it's peak wattage. In most cases, the constant wattage isn't even listed...

• @Chance2ride2 whoops! You are right