Hoosier Treaded Tire Review

• Thanks for the thorough review. I'm getting my second OW today and considering a Hoosier for it.. I'm in Palo Alto btw if you ever wanna ride with a neighbor :-)

• @eeg Sounds good man, where do you usually ride? have you tried any of the horse trails?

Forgot to mention where I purchased the tire...

http://www.smileysracing.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=118602&c=0

There are 3 different rubber compounds, I got the softest one, something to consider when thinking about how long it'll last. Next time I replace the tire I'll probably go for the medium version.

• @No Sounds good. See you Thursday at 5:30.

• Just want to chime in on this tire. I met @No and he let me try it out and I really like it. I feel like it's a lot more responsive to turning inputs than the slick and rolling from heel to toe has a more linear/smooth feel. We traded boards and rode around for a bit and when I got back on mine it felt like going from a sports car to a minivan. One thing to note for people interested is that it comes in several compounds. The one @No has is the softest and it feels like foam(really), super soft and sticky. We agreed that a harder compound will serve the same function but last longer.
    He also made his rear deck concave by sanding it which I also liked.
    Thanks again @No

• @wr420 Yea.. I've been on the Hoosier wheel for about 60 miles, riding on the flat tire again was strange, there were several times where I just couldn't take a turn as fast as you with the rounded tire. The worn out treads have me worried though, I might swap out the tire a lot sooner for the harder compound. And you're welcome, glad I could get a second opinion just to make sure I'm not crazy lol

• @No said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

The worn out treads have me worried though

Are the threads coming out after 60 miles??

• @Polle the front corners of the treads are slightly blunted, performance hasn't been affected, and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse from when I noticed it about 15 miles ago...that being said, It's a little concerning, and the harder compound, D30A will be my next tire for sure.

https://www.hoosiertiregp.com/product.cfm?InvKey=74480

And eventually, if I come across a slick tire that's round I'll try that as well

• @No cool deal, good to know these can be serviced diy style.
    What's you experience on the beach with the threaded tire ?

• @cocoabeachW1 Haven't been to the beach yet, but I've ridden in dry, almost powdery desert sand in Southern California with both the Vega and the Hoosier, with the Vega, it's nearly impossible, you lose traction in less than 10 feet, with the Hoosier, as long as you maintain momentum, you can cruise and carve through it. So I think it would work well on a beach as long as the sand is a little damp.

• @No ok cool, I just ordered the d30
    I ride down by the water edge were the sand in hard
    So much fun - ride for miles - go surfing and ride back

• @cocoabeachW1 Congrats! Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you, I wish I would've picked up the harder tire

• Just ordered D30 also. Hope it's here in time for a trip to the snow on New Years! Or better yet in time for the next full moon at the golf course.

• @wr420 Nice!

@CarvingUphillAVL Just got my beautiful @njcustom fender in the mail (about to go chop it up into pieces for my next project...) and it has no issues with the Hoosier

• @No: I have to try this too!
    I understood that the d30 would be your recommendation, but what about the size? in the other thread you wrote that you are not sure if the 11" or the 10.5" would be the correct one and that you had to modify the board a little bit to use the 11"?
    I want to order one, but I´d like ot figure that out first...

• @No I agree with @cr4p , let us know if the wheel rubs against the deck. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

• @thegreck I know his 11 does. I too am curious about the 10.5.

• @cr4p said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

@No: I have to try this too!
    I understood that the d30 would be your recommendation, but what about the size? in the other thread you wrote that you are not sure if the 11" or the 10.5" would be the correct one and that you had to modify the board a little bit to use the 11"?
    I want to order one, but I´d like ot figure that out first...

I recommend using the 11" and filing off about 0.5mm from the leading edge of the battery housing, along with keeping the tire below 14 maybe 15PSI, if you don't want to sand anything down, you can drop it to 9 to 10PSI , it shouldn't rub at all, but at that PSI you might be affecting mileage and tire wear, but the ride is super floaty and fun too...

But, regarding 10.5", I just haven't found a perfect match in that diameter yet, the OW was pretty much built around a specific tire size, so finding any decent alternative is a real challenge

• Hey guys, I too am interested in this tire. i did some digging online. Our Vegas are medium grip MBM tires at 11.5x6.5-6. The 11.5 represents the overall diameter of the tire, 6.5 equals the width and 6 equals the rim diameter. I am trying to understand how the 11" hoosier is rubbing? I also saw online where kart folks get their tires cut down for increased performance. I may have to head over to a kart place to discuss this with them. I would love the hoosier you have in a slick.

• @Earthpilot

Because the shape is rounded, unlike the Vega which is flat.