Hoosier Treaded Tire Review

• @No said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

using the 11" and filing off about 0.5mm from the leading edge of the battery housing

Thanks for the reply - sad to hear that because I just do not feel comfortable with filing anything down on my onewheel and also I personally feel that a max of 14/15psi ist to less for me (my personal tests showed that 17 is a good minimum for my weight in terms of range).

Also thanks to @Earthpilot pointing out the difference in the specs of the rim diameter, that makes gives me a better understanding for what I am looking for.

@all: If anybody finds a treaded tire with more matching specifications, please post here - @SeeTheInvisible & me are eager to install this on out boards.

• @No said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

And, what @Earthpilot said is correct, even though the tire is 6.5" wide, it's meant to be mounted on a much wider rim (about 8" I think), which would stretch it out into a flatter shape, but since our rim isn't that wide, it bulges out in the middle.

From what I understood from your reviews, it seems like the "bulging out in the middle" could be something really preferable, because this less contact makes it more playful to turn and let you carve more extreme (while making it a bit more challenging to master). Did I get that right?

• @cr4p said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

@No said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

And, what @Earthpilot said is correct, even though the tire is 6.5" wide, it's meant to be mounted on a much wider rim (about 8" I think), which would stretch it out into a flatter shape, but since our rim isn't that wide, it bulges out in the middle.

From what I understood from your reviews, it seems like the "bulging out in the middle" could be something really preferable, because this less contact makes it more playful to turn and let you carve more extreme (while making it a bit more challenging to master). Did I get that right?

That's it exactly

Regarding PSI, I like riding at higher PSI too, with the Vega I was at 15 for offroad and 20 for everything else, one thing I noticed about the Hoosier is that the sidewalls are significantly more rigid, and the tire feels as if it's riding at a higher PSI. For example, when I first installed it and had it at 10PSI, hitting bumps and cracks had a similar sound/feel to the Vega at 15PSI. This initial rigidity starts to fade slightly after about 10 to 15 miles, but overall it's still much stiffer and requires less PSI than the Vega

I plan on throwing on a new tire every couple hundred miles, and if other people get involved, maybe we'll find a perfect match that doesn't require any modding. One option I'm curious about is finding a tire that's too wide, at maybe 10" to 10.5" diameter, stuffing it on the rim and seeing if a round shape can be forced that way...

• @No: Thanks again for sharing your experience and thoughts.

regarding rounded shape: good to hear, because this is what I am mostly interested in, increased traction from the treads is just a weclome side benefit for me.

regardig psi: my concern is less about the stiffness and how it feels, because a "looser" feeling with low psi is fine for me. my main concern is just about range which an a certain point of lowering psi significantly gets shorter.

However we will continue searching.

• I don't think you need to mod the board if you can find a kart shop.
    https://youtu.be/KdVB_n0nuJk

If you mount the tire on the rim and then support the axle with a homemade wood stand, you can do this.
    https://youtu.be/sINEUUDTFJw

• Just purchased this tire. I hope, I hope, I hope I picked a winner...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hoosier/522/15600A40/10002/-1

• @Earthpilot nice! Looking forward to seeing how that works out, the -0.5" on the width compared to the stock tire is interesting, might give it a little more of a rounded shape, I also like the harder compound, good luck!

• @No That is exactly what i am looking to get out of it, I hope it has the same rounded contour that the treaded one has with more angled turns at higher speeds and good medium grip durability.

• @Earthpilot one thing about high-speed cornering (with a rounded tire), if you don't lean with your whole body enough, the board will try to roll out from under you and throw you to the ground. I haven't fallen yet due to this, but I've had a couple nasty wobbles mid-carve because my weight wasn't in the "sweet spot". I guess it's kinda like catching an edge with a snowboard.

• @No Thanks for the heads up. The sweet spot you refer to is what I try to explain to people who get on my board for the first time. I call it being "on axis" both vertically and horizontally. I show them that I can go into a turn and if I stay in that lean over the board, I could go until the low battery pushback occurs and be very dizzy, lol

• Hey thanks for sharing this with us!
    one gripe I have with the onewheel is how much it tilts and can upset your balance when at high speed and "lane changing" from say concrete to grass or from high to low ground. Does the rounded profile reduce that tendency?

If you could post a video of that new tire, I'm sure a lot of us would be grateful :)

• @mike I think with those types of riding situations you always have to be just a little bit more careful, but yes, with the rounded tire, the transition is much easier to manage, I don't even slow down anymore, I just approach as about a 30 degree angle and the tire does all the work.

• @Earthpilot said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

If you mount the tire on the rim and then support the axle with a homemade wood stand, you can do this.
    https://youtu.be/sINEUUDTFJw

great idea - thank you! we will do it exactly like you suggested.

I have just ordered 2 pieces of hoosier 11.0X6.5-6 D30A for @SeeTheInvisible and me;-)
    should arrive in cw 8...

• @cr4p I'm running that tire also and here's what I did. I mounted the new tire and reassembled the OW. Then I supported the OW so I could activate the sensors and get the wheel spinning freely off the ground and used the motors power to spin the tire while using file/grinder/sander to remove material until it stopped rubbing.

• @cr4p I love the Hoosier tires. I can't say enough about the ride difference a more rounded profile makes. It sounds like the Hoosier slick also has the more rounded profile which is a good option for folks who want to keep a slick but get more nimble turning.
    Thank you @No !

• @wr420 NP! Only thing that worries me about that slick is that it's smaller.......and doesn't look as cool lol. I'd like to see it so I have an idea exactly what that size difference looks like, losing a half inch of ground clearance just won't work for me

• @No How has your tire held up. I have about 400 miles on mine and it is almost time to change it. I am going to jump up to your size but with the hardest compound it comes in for reduced wear. I think it's D55

• @Earthpilot It's held up pretty well, the edges of the treads wore out quickly in the first 30-50 miles but it seems like the wear has slowed, but my first treaded tire was the softest compound, it feels like a tire for a toy lol. I have a D30 from Ebay waiting for my V2 and it feels like actual rubber which is nice. As far as I know, the D30 is the hardest compound for the treaded tire, did you find a D55 somewhere? or are you looking into the slicks?

• @No I'm riding the Hoosier 11.0 6.0-6 A40 tire and the only thing I've noticed about the size difference is it seems I'm riding at pushback pretty much all the time now. I don't know if that's just from riding more aggressively because I have more control but it definitely doesn't look un-cool and I haven't had any incline ride issues due to the half inch difference. It's not the size, man. It's what you do with it.

• @Hubbitron lol I see

I think rounded tires in general just make the ride better, giving you more confidence on the board, at least that's been my experience. I'll probably give it a try someday, but right now I'm really liking the extra grip on sand and loose terrain