Hoosier Treaded Tire Review

• to each his own ;)

• More powERRR!!....we need more POWERRRRR!!!!...++++++
    LOLOLOL

• @cr4p said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

@Jimmers75 said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

can I ask which Hoosier tyre you have on the board?

Hoosier Treaded Kart 11.0X6.5-6 D30A

I am not yet quite sure, but just an idea, maybe @no can also jump in here:
    With 11.0 this tire is half an inch smaller then the original (11.5). Still in the original setup it rubbs at the pads at around 15psi, because the tire inflates differently, giving a more rounded shape. now the thesis: if the tire would be another half an inch smaller, than you could pump it up to lets say 22 psi, resulting in an even more rounded shape (which would most probably deliver even more better/advanced riding experience).
    just a theory, i am no tire expert at all...what do the others say?

Yea, in theory I think this is correct. One thing with the Hoosier tires that might affect their shape though, the instructions said to inflate it to 10PSI higher than your goal PSI, and leave it there for 5 or 10 min (don't remember how long) to give it it's proper shape, this might affect the roundness at 15-20PSI...not sure how many of us went through the "shaping" process before installing...

@timvdp It's all about personal preferences, if I had tried one of the clones with the rounded tire first, I probably would've really enjoyed it. But for me, the treads are half the reason I'm using my tire, there have been so many times where I KNEW the stock tire would've just given up and spun out in the mud/sand/gravel, but this softer rubber combined with treads really helps out when the Vega would've slipped and thrown me to the ground.

• I bet the next version of onewheel will have a custom made tire for it.

• Look at all of the Hoosier converts. I love my treaded Hoosier. The smaller slick hoosier was quicker to pivot on but the tread is going to go the distance for me.

• I was wondering if someone could post, a video or some before / after photos, because i dont' think i have seen them of exactly how much "sanding down" of the casings has to be done to give this tire its proper space?

I'm all about the mods. I'm actually really not afraid of much, I've taken apart the basic components of it already, i mean, even if you over sand it, fixing it to re-waterproof shouldn't be that huge of a deal, its just a small plastic box. And the footpads are 1 cheap and 2 easily modable. But I just kind of want a better understanding of how much material is being removed to accomidate the tire....

If there was room for the tire. I'd have done the switch already. I love off-roading and I wheelslip constantly on grass.

• @Aaron-Broward-FL said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

But I just kind of want a better understanding of how much material is being removed to accomidate the tire....

i did not sand anything down from the board itself, i just put away some material from the middle part of the tire. in guess i removed about 2mm from the middle which is enough to bring it to ~18-19 psi (but you have then no gap at all left between the tire and the pad then)

of course the tire might last a little bit less, but that´s all more than worth the improvements in advanced riding abilities.
    (also when i saw leaking tires they were all leaking at the edges and not at the middle)

• since i did a lot of riding during the last two days, i would like to add some points to my first impression, which might be helpfull to some to get a better idea to what to expect from changing to this kind of tire.

1. so far i let three other people try it out, who rode regular onewheels before. all of them were stoked and told me that they immediately noticed the differences in therms of obviuos improved agility and playfulness.

2. i still have very little offroad experience with this tire because of the weather conditions. but what i can definitly say yet is, that it feels more stable in bumpy/offroad terrain. i am quite sure this is because of the rounded profile, because if you hit a certain bump/stone/etc., with the regular tire it would realign the whole board more agressivly, while the more rounded shape of the hoosier allows the board to better find its way without changing the angle of the board as much as the regular tire does.

alltough i definitly recommend this tire to all of my buddys here, i would not automatically recommend the tire to everyone.
    this is because it depends on what you are looking for. like in other board sport, there are different preferences for different styles that all have their eligibility. some prefer their board having a "loose" feeling (for more agility), while others prefer a more "straight" feeling.

so here is my personal recommendation:
    if you are a beginner, if you already are satisfied with how it rides, if you are not really comfortable with board sports in general or if you just like you board going straight and doing mostly long carves (instead of tight ones) - stay with the original vega - it is already a lot of fun!

if you are doing a lot of board sports, if you are going offroad frequently, if you like the board to be more playful/agile and if you are a little bit more experienced - definitly give a more rounded shape a try! (for an advanced rider the little bit of more instability in the axis of the rounded shape is veeery little and nothing to consider from my point of view).

anyway, please consider that everyone's opinion is bound to be subjective.

• @cr4p said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

@Aaron-Broward-FL said in Hoosier Treaded Tire Review:

But I just kind of want a better understanding of how much material is being removed to accomidate the tire....

i did not sand anything down from the board itself, i just put away some material from the middle part of the tire. in guess i removed about 2mm from the middle which is enough to bring it to ~18-19 psi (but you have then no gap at all left between the tire and the pad then)

of course the tire might last a little bit less, but that´s all more than worth the improvements in advanced riding abilities.
    (also when i saw leaking tires they were all leaking at the edges and not at the middle)

I did no mods to neither board nor tire and it scrapes. .Scratchy sound very obvious when going slow, but when you speed up its the terrain that I get concerned about.

10 hours of riding the board with the threaded tire on flat park grass and sandy beach. 22psi with very rounded profile. The scraping sound is going away slowly.

More agility (on grass and sand): I make titghter turns. Easier to do backside turns. Cleaner figure eights. Mind you, I am only a beginner with no more than 20hours experience. My kids put more time on it than I do since we got it 5 weeks ago.

Traction on sand: I do have a little better traction on super soft sand but the floatation is not as good. The threaded tire rounded profile puts more pressure in a smaller footprint as opposed to the Vega flatter smootihies. Thats the trade off, traction for floatation.

Next testing Sand scene: Flatter threaded tire 15psi, on smooth sand with less traffic marks (footprints and/or tire).
    Next testing Steep Hill grass climbing scene: I will try 22psi and 15psi to climb steep hills where I encounter wheel slips.

In my opinion the threaded wheel is a lot looser than stock but it is not necessarily for beginners only. I have seen some kids and adults jump on it and ride away with no ease.

• I would like to chime in here and address some things about what others have said about the tire and my own experience. I did zero modding to the tire and the board. I run it at around 15 psi and 100% of my riding right now is on sidewalks and roads. This tire pressure really works for me and I am 6 ft 205 lbs. @Aaron-Broward-FL Run the tire, it will fit and keep the pressure at 15 or maybe lower for off roading. People take air out of their tires in vehicles before going off road or on the beach. Treat the board the same way. I would off road at my psi. It feels great on pavement. @cr4p I don't think you will run into a longevity issue with what you did to your tire, minimal at best. I'm on my 3rd tire and the first two still had meat on them in the middle when i changed them out from seeing threads at the edges from always making front side and backside turns. I hope this helps you guys that are on the fence about getting this particular tire. Changing the tire completely altered the ride for me in a good way. It became a different board. Never going back to a Vega

• So, i used to be happy running my tire at 15. Until recently. I have gotten to be a more experienced rider until the last 2 weeks when i fell off going 2 MPH trying to talk to someone and not paying attention where i was going getting my concussion and yesterday having some sort of mechanical issue.... where after i had a sensor failing according to the app and now the board wont turn on. My freaking shoulder is killing me..... a nice trip to the ER and a few shots and lots of Vicodin later. I still consider myself experienced. But, I'm pretty comfortable and doing a lot of things and I'm pretty agile. And I like play.

I say i consider myself experienced now because a few months ago i tried going up to 19 PSI and it was uncomfortable and to unstable for me. But now, I wouldn't have it any other way. I went riding with some guys that were WAY better than me and it pushed me to ride "harder"

Its the traction on the dirt and the wet grass especially cause in FL grass is constantly wet. Also i get a lot of sand because sand is more common than dirt. And i Spin out. ALOT..... like ALOT ALOT. i am constantly spinning out. I am off boarding for a little bit till my shoulder and probably my concusssion heal. :) my son probably wont be happy, although I haven't even tried to figure out if i can get my 2nd board to fire up without sending back to FM. Or even setup a fix it. I press the power button and it lights up for a second and then shuts off. I tried using the charger... oye. My work is threatening to take my board away :) I'm like not a chance :) too many trips to the hospital :) I'm no quitter.... I just need a functioning board, and no woman distractions. And everything Will be fine. SO back to my point. I got the + on order. And as it appears I have to send at least 1 and probably both in for maintenance. I am probably going to wait for the + and see how it fits with the tire. I think its a safe assumption.... the same... but, who knows a few MM here and there.... would be smart of them to create 4 MM of clearance so we can change tires. Then they can market multiple tires at 300$ a tire. Oh wait that is the FM markup :) on seemingly simple items ;)

• first offroad ride and i still love it!

0_1488542814396_IMG_3986[1].jpg

thanks @No !

• @cr4p Nice shot, where is that?

• @cr4p Looks good!

• @slydogstroh What do you think about your Hoosier? (I saw on instagram you got it)
    Did you change it yourself?