Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter

• @ZeeMox - Something like this will get yo about 1.5 charges.

• @wr420

Nice find.
    Pick up 2 and get 3 charges.

I also like this idea. Save you from getting inverter and carrying the charger with you.

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-controller-Regulator-Controller-Adjustable/dp/B01DTT7CH2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1487282019&sr=8-13&keywords=mppt+solar+charger

• @sonny123 - Yep that's the ticket. $10 cheaper

• Someone should post a video tutorial doing this. I'm lost as hell lol.

• So let me get this straight. You are talking about using the super charger to charge up an external battery pack through a solar inverter so that all u need to take out into the field is the battery pack with the appropriate adapters to hook straight to the onewheel? Please feel free to set the record straight for those of us more inclined to understand sticks and rocks.

• @Snurfer

Lets say you have a 36V bicycle lithium battery and you want to charge from it. Typically, you'd get an inverter similar to this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300W-1500W-Pure-Sine-Wave-Solar-Power-Inverter-12-24V-48V-To-110-220V-50-60Hz-/321479905632?var=&hash=item4ad9b21160:m:m7ReLblkM31H95uuvH6_T4A

and charge using your OW charger. But that would be many things to handle.

You can replace the OW charger and inverter with this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HCL7LEW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3U3JJYGD7YYL1

You will need to make a plug that's the same as the one on OW charger.

That's probably the lightest setup.

• @Snurfer - not sure if you can use this solar charger to charge your 36v pack with the higher 58v the OW super charger puts out.

I think this style of charger only works well when charging a higher voltage battery with a lower voltage source. I have used a few different power supplies to charge the 36v packs. I have found that a @6 amp 12V source works well. The solar charger is very flexible, so you can set your input voltage anything under 30v or so and you should be ok(charging a 36v pack). Just make sure it can supply @6 amps. Old laptop power supplies CAN work but desktop power supplies have more than enough. You can also look at this hobby lipo charger power supply. Not bad for $10.

You can use the power supply I linked to(or something comparable) as an input to the solar charger to charge a 36v pack.

• @OneWheelNoob said in Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter:

Someone should post a video tutorial doing this. I'm lost as hell lol.

Yea...

• @wr420 said in Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter:

@Snurfer - not sure if you can use this solar charger to charge your 36v pack with the higher 58v the OW super charger puts out.

I think this style of charger only works well when charging a higher voltage battery with a lower voltage source. I have used a few different power supplies to charge the 36v packs. I have found that a @6 amp 12V source works well. The solar charger is very flexible, so you can set your input voltage anything under 30v or so and you should be ok(charging a 36v pack). Just make sure it can supply @6 amps. Old laptop power supplies CAN work but desktop power supplies have more than enough. You can also look at this hobby lipo charger power supply. Not bad for $10.

You can use the power supply I linked to(or something comparable) as an input to the solar charger to charge a 36v pack.

Surely you can charge a 36v pack with a 58v OneWheel UltraCharger (with the proper connections and no other electronics).
    Think of Voltage as pressure. You need more to overcome the pressure of the other. If pressure is not higher and constant than it will result in equalization. So the OW charger which is higher voltage will charge a lower voltage battery.

But a multi-cell lipo would need a balancer . AKA " BMS" so all cells gets charged evenly and know when to shut the charge off.
    http://liionbms.com/php/bms_options.php#BMS_types.

http://community.onewheel.com/topic/8/keeping-you-in-the-game
    Quotes from above link
    "Any best practices for charging?
    No need to overthink charging - plug it in when you're low and be back in action in no time. You actually can't overcharge your board so there's no harm leaving it on the charger overnight. If you are going to be leaving your board in the garage for a while be sure to leave it fully charged."

I do believe the OneWheel has a BMS inside of the board. The high Voltage 58.4 of the Ultra-Charger and 3.5 Amps are numbers that we can use to calculate the Charge rate of the OW Battery pack .More tech for later but just remember higher voltage can charge lower voltage.

This whole thing is a lot simpler than it is explained so far.
    Lets wait to see who can make a good DIY write-up.

• @fruitygreen said in Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter:

The boost controller cr4p used appears similar/or same but different brand. Anyways this setup is a lot more efficient physically and electronically than an inverter type charger.

i would not recommend the one i used. i have two of those. alltough it works and you can use it to charge, it still is slightly beyound it´s limits. the result is, that it gets quit hot and you have to slightly cool it, and that it takes about 50 minutes for a charge (because it does not deliver the full 3.5amps.

• @cr4p said in Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter:

@fruitygreen said in Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter:

The boost controller cr4p used appears similar/or same but different brand. Anyways this setup is a lot more efficient physically and electronically than an inverter type charger.

i would not recommend the one i used. i have two of those. alltough it works and you can use it to charge, it still is slightly beyound it´s limits. the result is, that it gets quit hot and you have to slightly cool it, and that it takes about 50 minutes for a charge (because it does not deliver the full 3.5amps.

Really??....I'm having one made right now from a clone's battery :(:(:( everybody sounded really happy about this set up I thought...:(

@fruitygreen said in Portable Power Supply / Pure Sine Inverter:

Well there we have it, an actual usage and review of the device.
    RioRand Solar Charge Controller then maybe the better choice. Anyone with a review on it?

• @timvdp: within my original thread, i already mentioned that it is a first rough prototype which works, but that i would look for another step-up converter because of that issues. @tomtnt found a better step-up converter with the solar charger - i guess this is what the other guys were happy with.

i haven´t tried the solar charger myself, but i will (already have it at home). i will use this as a temporary solution until andi has sold me one real supercharger;-)

@timvdp: within my original thread, i already mentioned that it is a first rough prototype which works, but that i would look for another step-up converter because of that issues. @tomtnt found a better step-up converter with the solar charger - i guess this is what the other guys were happy with.

i haven´t tried the solar charger myself, but i will (already have it at home). i will use this as a temporary solution until andi has sold me one real supercharger;-)

I'm sorry ...I was confused and thought you were talking about the solar controller set-up not being good...I missread...my bad...

• This post is deleted!

@Snurfer - not sure if you can use this solar charger to charge your 36v pack with the higher 58v the OW super charger puts out.

Thanks for clarifying all this stuff. This is really helpful. Only thing I'm still not super clear about: How do you wire up all these different chargers to/from those solar controllers? Making the XLR plug makes sense to me after seeing the pics posted in the Andy thread, just not sure what I'm looking for to provide input/output to/from the solar controller itself.

• I tried to make a video before I just left town up I ended up filming it upside down lol. (New phone).
    Ill redo it when I get home or try to flip in somehow.
    This guys video gives a good overview of how it works and config'd etc..
    You want the output set to 58v and 3.5A.
    Set input to what ever voltage you are using.

• @wr420 Did you ever get around to making that video?

I tried to make a video before I just left town up I ended up filming it upside down lol. (New phone).
    Ill redo it when I get home or try to flip in somehow.

If it's an iPhone, there's an app for that.

• 0_1492207808303_20170326_030444.jpg
    just 1 xlr plug
    and 1 black red conector for the battery