DIY project: Concave Footpads for V1

• In the meantime I used the very little time I had to

1. buy a 2.5mm walnut vaneer, glued it on top and used a very professional press for the drying process;-)
      0_1487196609688_08 Furnier leimen und pressen.jpg

2. some quick sanding and it allready looks nice - also the surface is now very smooth with a nice concave in 3 sides, as designed
      0_1487196703203_09 Furnier fertig.jpg

next step will be a little bit more sanding on the outer edges, before I am going to cut it in 2 pieces and start varnishing.

• Nice! Looks like the most perfect amount of skate deck concavity that I have seen so far.

• @lieutenantglorp: thanks man.

1. today i finished the wood work, milled the space for the sensors and destroyed the original footpad to reuse the sensor.
      0_1487324099735_11 Concave.jpg
      0_1487324108514_10 Concave.jpg
      0_1487324118770_12 Sensor Holes.jpg
      0_1487324125880_13 wood work finished.jpg

now it is going to be varnished and in parallel I have to think of how to prepare the vicious griptape.

since the walnut wood looks very nice, i´d like to keep some wood visible like they did with the OW+.
    still I would like to have some kind of different design, also to keep the wooden surface at a space where i usually do not step on while riding.
    therefore i made several quick mockups (based on a picture of the OW+).

too many decisions...there are basically 2 versions with little variations.
    -> what do you think, which one would fit best?

• 0_1487292360852_Griptape Entwurf 1b.jpg

• 0_1487292371514_Griptape Entwurf 1c.jpg

• 0_1487292388166_Griptape Entwurf 1d.jpg

• 0_1487292410864_Griptape Entwurf 2b.jpg

• 0_1487292418118_Griptape Entwurf 2c.jpg

• 0_1487292428875_Griptape Entwurf 2d.jpg

• I would say first or third. Do plan selling them?

• 1 or 4..or something else ;)
    I wouldn't make a small piece on the corners...it will probaly fall of after a while...
    I really hope we get to see your deck soon and hear about the improvements :):)

• @Solaranlage & @timvdp : thanks.

Do plan selling them?

no, not at all. it takes me forever to make one. if i´d like to sell those, they would cost a furtune and i would have no spare time left to ride myself;-)
    i just post this to put some content to the forum and maybe to inspire somebody who wants to try it himself.

• @cr4p said in DIY project: Concave Footpads for V1:

@Solaranlage & @timvdp : thanks.

Do plan selling them?

no, not at all. it takes me forever to make one. if i´d like to sell those, they would cost a furtune and i would have no spare time left to ride myself;-)
    i just post this to put some content to the forum and maybe to inspire somebody who wants to try it himself.

Thumbs up!!!:);)

• @cr4p said in DIY project: Concave Footpads for V1:

1. today i finished the wood work, milled the space for the sensors and destroyed the original footpad to reuse the sensor.
      0_1487324099735_11 Concave.jpg
      0_1487324108514_10 Concave.jpg
      0_1487324118770_12 Sensor Holes.jpg
      0_1487324125880_13 wood work finished.jpg

now it is going to be varnished and in parallel I have to think of how to prepare the vicious griptape.

since the walnut wood looks very nice, i´d like to keep some wood visible like they did with the OW+.
    still I would like to have some kind of different design, also to keep the wooden surface at a space where i usually do not step on while riding.
    therefore i made several quick mockups (based on a picture of the OW+).

too many decisions...there are basically 2 versions with little variations.
    -> what do you think, which one would fit best?

quality work man!! very nicely done....I rode today for the first time with the new ramps outside and it felt really nice and secure, you will deffinately be a safer and happier OW-rider!!;)..keep posting pics please:):)

• @timvdp: thanks!

1. first layer is lacquered - as i hoped the color of the wood is now even nicer.
      0_1487339529983_14 varnished first layer.jpg

already lacquered it a second time, i expect to even look nicer.
    hopefully tomorrow i can put everything together and try it out.

i just hope the sensor can deal with the concave...but lets see

• Looks awesome! Very pro.

• the original griptape is thicker for the sensor side with a cut out...probably to protect from impacts or something..and dampens the pressure a bit I think...maybe something to think about before you put just normal griptape over it...also gives a smoother look with no bumps from the sensor. Good luck tomorow :)

• @timvdp the stock layup consists of three layers. The sensor and adjacent shims, full size plastic protective layer, then grip tape. On the prototypes I've built so far, the sensor is recessed into a pocket I machined in the footbed, I omitted the protective layer to keep everything level without any "bump up" around the sensor. With the full sensor I'm going to have PSA protective plastic cut the same size as the sensor and I will machine a pocket the depth of the sensor and the protective plastic. Then the grip tape will layup in a continuous plane.