New OneWheel Plus Foot Pads Compatible with V1!

• @MichaelW

That's why I picked up a spare pads when I ordered my fender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy7BotZqVy4

• I wonder if anyone will end up liking the old pads better? @sonny123

• @MichaelW

It's awesome they're interchangeable.
    I'm assuming you can change bumpers on the + to V1 bumpers so you can use flat pads if you don't like the + pads.
    Probably not a big change though.

I wonder if you could do a motor upgrade on the V1.
    That would be nice. I mean I'd go for it if the motor is $500.

• @Haabiby97 sorry the plus pad is back on the plus so no more videos for a bit. But I'm sure others will pick up where I left off!

• Thanks @snwbrdwndsrf

• @fabuz they will be when they have enough in stock.

• @sonny123 unlikely on motor upgrade. They have probably made significant upgrades to the control board hardware (sensors and CPU) and corresponding changes to the software, so the original is unlikely to be compatible with a new motor.

• Hmm, decisions!
    I was going to order the original pads, not sure now... But probably it will take months until the new pads come for sale?

• This changes the game up dramatically.

• Agree, this is the best news since plus launch. If only we had an estimated availability date.

• I prefer the new pads vs the originals due to their sensor coverage. The angle is nice and adds stability, but being able to feel more confident wearing boots or other style shoes is a high selling point for me.

• I hope they keep spare parts for their loyal V1 riders. I would like to get a wheel assembly in the future when mine wears out. If they want to get rid of their V1 stuff, you guys can send me a few wheel assemblies for free, I'll take good care of them...

• @Earthpilot the frames are identical, so you've got that going for you.

• @snwbrdwndsrf Yea, I like that. I bet that wheel assembly for the plus plugs right into the V1s. How much could it have changed? Can anyone tinker and let us know if the plugs are the same?

• @Earthpilot Yeah they look the same. I dont think they were modified.

• @drew Thanks Drew, as long as I can keep the control panel intact it looks like I will be riding this board for some time. I wonder if FM would have to do something to the control board for the speed difference of the motor. I have yet to call and ask them about this but I will when the time comes.

• @drew said in New OneWheel Plus Foot Pads Compatible with V1!:

@Earthpilot Yeah they look the same. I dont think they were modified.

Would be perfect if all new parts (footpad and motor) are just plug and play.

Retrofitting old boards would create positive options for FM. The supply of 1st gen boards are limited to stock on hand and already sold and they don't have to warranty those once it expires, however they can continue to profit from them with retrofit kits.

The price of the OneWheel is okay right for now, but at $1500 they will plateau in sales like GoPro.
    I am assuming that FM look at trends and not really pay attention to fanatics, they will do things to accommodate their relevance in market share than being innovators.

I believe they are here on the forum listening. OneWheel is fun and a good modern product to invest in and hopefully can be above the rest.

• Something to think about with unplugging motors from controller. I recently asked FM if I could send a combination of 2 sick onewheels back for service. One of my units has a motor that is making more noise and vibration than my other wheels and my one of my other wheels sustained a substantial compression of the front bumper after directly​ hitting a tree @ 10+ mph causing a slow onset of rider detection error that had me thinking my foot sensor was failing. Turns out something is loose in the controller so I asked FM if I could send back the motor, battery, and chassis from one unit and the controller from another unit to heal two wheels with one trip to the doctor. They responded saying that would be fine but that there might be some slight calibration discrepancies and that I would need to put them back with their perspective serial #s when I got everything back and that they still may not be calibrated just right. So I ended up switching stuff around and took the working combination of parts out for a ride to see if I could notice any calibration issues and I definitely have. It starts out normal but as soon as you hit kickback it seems more extreme than usual and when you brake it feels more like elevated mode. Then it levels back to extreme pitch when accelerating under 12-13mph then gets all elevated again. I'm not digging it and am probably going forego my plan and send each wheel back separately for service and calibration. Hopefully someday we will be able to calibrate with the app or something but for now a trip to doctor Julian or physicians assistant scott is needed to recalibrate your wheel properly. Just something to think about if you are on the fence with your own tire change or other times you might want to unplug the motor from the controller. Except maybe the calibration issue comes from mixing two different serial numbered motors and controllers. Maybe once it's calibrated it stays calibrated even if you disconnect as long as it goes back with it's mate. I know there are alot of people who have changed up tires with success.

• @ashewheeler said in New OneWheel Plus Foot Pads Compatible with V1!:

Maybe once it's calibrated it stays calibrated even if you disconnect as long as it goes back with it's mate. I know there are alot of people who have changed up tires with success.

I think that's the case. It's unlikely something would change if you unplug and plug it back while OW is turned off. But swapping parts is a different story.

But I do understand FM wanting to be on the safe side and that's perfectly reasonable.

Hopefully in the future we'll be able to do more things at home and spare us from sending it in.

• @ashewheeler good info, thanks for sharing.