New App vs Old App, digital Shaping difference?

• @J-Glide it's not unusual for folks to have different results. things happen all the time, especially with regard to technically complex items, and success with your board doesn't necessarily imply success with others'.

for example - you've personally done firmware updates. i think we can reasonably surmise not every board has the same firmware version. we also know the OW+ units use additional enumerations (mode numbers) for ride modes. How does the OW app decide which ride mode to send to a board? One reasonable presumption is that it uses the firmware version. So, its quite reasonable to see how a potential problem could exist wherein the app mis-identifies some boards and sends the wrong mode number (ie, sends a plus mode to a v1). In that scenario, yours could work great, while others fail.

My point is that this is one respect in which forums like this are a great help to the community. Hopefully the latest bug fixes in the app resolved the issue. But issues where a user is able to test against multiple apps and demonstrate a problem should be encouraged, as it helps improve the board/app quality for the whole community.

• @J-Glide said in New App vs Old App, digital Shaping difference?:

I think you guys are crazy.

You could be right. @SeeTheInvisible (coded the app) said there's no way the app can change the settings of a mode, it simply switches between the existing modes that are built into the firmware.

However... there is that one hidden testing mode that you can only get to by using the power button trick. Maybe the new app accidentally accesses that mode?

• @thegreck What is this secret power button mode trick you speak of?

• @thegreck said in New App vs Old App, digital Shaping difference?:

@J-Glide said in New App vs Old App, digital Shaping difference?:

I think you guys are crazy.

You could be right. @SeeTheInvisible (coded the app) said there's no way the app can change the settings of a mode, it simply switches between the existing modes that are built into the firmware.

However... there is that one hidden testing mode that you can only get to by using the power button trick. Maybe the new app accidentally accesses that mode?

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't want to offend anyone, but it's seems like a few of these newbies think they know more than us original ow riders. Oh well.... I tried to talk them out of their craziness. @thegreck the fact that we know the secret mode acquired with the power button shows our deeper knowledge of the product. Keep up the sick moves!

• @Rado said in New App vs Old App, digital Shaping difference?:

@thegreck What is this secret power button mode trick you speak of?

Here's the seeeecret (not my video BTW): https://youtu.be/0FBAGx-ltNg

• @thegreck Do you know the # of blinks for each shaping mode on the OW+ by chance?

• @bizrock I don't, but maybe @w1ngy has figured that one out too?

• @iiikz I owe you an apology. I wasn't trying to be rude. I hope you understand.

• @J-Glide no worries. glad to hear that you're enjoying the plus!

you're not wrong in general. i may not be a kid, but i AM a newbie - and subjectivity and/or coincidence often does lead to speculation and assumptions that aren't true. I was just trying to sift through feedback that had a rational (and technical) explanation. for many years I worked as a software engineer and have integrated with many devices; in this case I could see how an issue could exist.

• @thegreck Thanks, man, most appreciated. @w1ngy this would be great if you know and can share...

As excited as I am to finally have the OW+ on hand, it's pretty frustrating not having an official way to adjust the shaping. I've tried all the apps (onewheel, owheelbuddy, powheel) and while they can connect to the plus, there's no way to know/change the shaping.

C'mon ANDROID UPDATE...!

• @bizrock the analogous link that others have shared for the OW+: https://youtu.be/Ihx59I62j9w

The OW+ uses different ride modes, so there's not (yet) as much consensus regarding how the new modes fare against the old.

• @iiikz Awesome, thanks. Love this community and its resourcefulness, but again it is kinda frustrating to not have something so elementary addressed by FM.

I also found this posted by @mekon 3 days ago: http://community.onewheel.com/topic/6770/ow-pushback-at-15-in-mode-6/5

OK, I have iOS with OWBuddy and the new app installed.
    I have just run through the settings on my OW+, and they are as follows:

Sequoia - 4 - Max Speed 12 mph
    Cruz - 5 - Max Speed 15 mph
    Mission - 6 - Max Speed 19mph
    Delirium - (not available yet, presumably 7) - Max Speed 20mph
    Now all that said, pushback happens a little prior to max speed, so you may very well be in Mission mode and experiencing pushback. It is possible (although a little harder to control) to push past pushback to the mode max speed.

Edit: I'm assuming that the OWBuddy app has backend IDs for Classic, Extreme, and Elevated of 1,2, and 3 respectively.

Edit 2: BTW, I did not check the number of flashes on the board. The numbers above represent the setting ID in OWBuddy

• @bizrock yes, you found it! i remembered reading it and was searching the forum to post it again for you.