Stopped by police

• @thegreck
    Two nights back, I also got stopped by a few officers. I was riding along the awesome bonneville trail in Salt Lake City around 10:30 pm. We ended up chatting for like 15 minutes and they were both just interested in how it worked, and they complimented me on wearing a helmet and high visibility vest.
    I love the police, but if I had been on my skateboard I doubt it would have been such a positive experience.

• @autahman Agreed. And I also get compliments on wearing a helmet by cops. And the EMTs on my last ambulance ride.

• I just got stopped by state park rangers in Nashville, TN. There are no skateboards allowed in the park, and they were concerned about what to tell skateboarders when they point at me and say 'why are you letting him ride?'

It's very unfortunate, as I only pass through 1 block of this park on my commute (the park is only one block wide, but many blocks long). Being blocked out of the park means about a mile detour up and down a giant battery hungry hill :(

I've been looking up a lot of laws/regulations trying to figure out what Tennessee defines as a 'skateboard' and what classifies as a low speed vehicle/electric personal assistive mobility device (EPAMD). If the onewheel had two wheels (lol) it would be classified as an EPAMD and would not be subject to any restrictions that would not apply to bicycles (bikes are allowed in the park).
    In a nearby city, a skateboard is defined as 'a board of any material, which has wheels attached to it and which, if propelled or moved by human, gravitational, or mechanical power, and to which there is not fixed any device or mechanism to turn or control the wheels.'
    By this definition, 'wheels' disqualifies the onewheel, as does the last statement (I think) where it says there is NOT any device or mechanism to turn or control the wheels (which, the OneWheel has, correct? A mechanism to control the wheel?)

California has the most elaborate alternate transportation laws - has anyone figured out what the OneWheel is classified as there? Is it regarded as a skateboard?

• This won't clarify the law in California, but Washington has this Note in the definition:

Finding—2015 c 145: "The legislature finds that at least two companies in Washington have developed a one-wheeled device for people to use to travel from place to place. These devices are unregulated and can travel wherever and however they like. By adding these devices to the definition of an electric personal assistive mobility device, they become regulated and local communities can determine locations that are appropriate for their use." [ 2015 c 145 § 1.]

• @poppavein that's interesting - the 'segway laws' (epamd) laws seem, in 2020 hindsight, to be shortsighted...but I suppose they apply to electric wheelchairs too. I just want to prevent any sort of confiscation or being 'targeted' as there are not many onewheels in Nashville (i've only seen two other onewheels here, just one time)

• @henrythedj why not just carry it for the one block?

• @nicktulloh That sucker's heavy to carry even a block when you shouldn't have to. I would at least fashion up a dog leash and drag it behind me.

It is a shame that legislation is always far behind technology and often times impedes adoption for a purpose I am not certain of. We need to lobby this topic to ensure the OW's (and other like devices) a proper place in our future. I, for one, don't want to be limited to use this thing in skateboard parks.

• @gadgetrider I make my own leashes from thick comfortable rope and carabiners. The carabiner fits the handhold and tows just fine.

• @poppavein Nice work - post up a picture of you can. The only other example I have seen is someone using a belt and having the buckle side between the wheel and board - but I don't want to have the buckle rub against the tire. Would love to see how you connected the carabiner to the handhold (assuming without any drilling).

• Finally figured out how to do images ...

Get a carabiner that has a mouth big enough to hook into your handheld spot. No drilling required.

alt text
    alt text