Hold onto your v1 (have a plus)

• Have asked for a refund on my plus. The v1 shreds NYC cobblestones like a champ (hit 21.2mph today) but this plus can't handle them. FM has had it for two weeks and was unable to find an issue with the board. Basically what happens is the motor just cuts out and the tail drags on the ground. Going slow or fast. Viva la v1

• No pushback here. 18 feels like a breeze. Something must be up.

• @PowerWheel5000 If the motor were to cut out, the nose would hit the ground due to you having forward momentum. Sounds more like the motor is speeding up, which is what happens with pushback.

• Got a notification that my plus is arriving tomorrow, so they sent the board back to me even though we never resolved the issue. So maybe I'll give it another shot, but I honestly want to get rid of it considering how predictable the v1 is. I personally prefer the way it carves.. being able to dip the nose down to the ground.

• @thegreck how do you avoid the tail dropping and dragging on the ground randomly when going over fairly consistent cobblestones. Do I have to apply a lot more forwards pressure preventatively on unsmooth ground, or slam forwards reactively when it happens? Thanks for the help

• @PowerWheel5000
    It seems the + can't handle cobblestones (don't own, read several times here)
    The V1 handles them perfectly...

• @PowerWheel5000 so when you say you like the ride of the V1 better can you not dip the nose of the + down at all like you can on the V1?

• @PowerWheel5000 Sorry, I didn't mean you were doing anything wrong, just clarifying what was happening. I don't have a plus, but from what I've read they still need to work out some of the kinks in the shaping modes.

It seems like the enhanced power of the motor requires much more refined programming to handle the different terrains.

• @thegreck

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
    Took a while to get the V1 just right.
    I think it'll take less time for the + since FM has way more experience with this thing.

• @ahxe45 I wasn't able to do a quick low speed dips like my v1, but I'll have another chance to test later today and say for sure. From what I remember the plus felt more like a cruise ship, compared to a cigarette boat or jet ski. The board stays amazingly level, making it feel nice and solid. I can't wait for my mom to try the plus as it's probably a better ride for her.

• @PowerWheel5000 said in Hold onto your v1 (have a plus):

@ahxe45 I wasn't able to do a quick low speed dips like my v1, but I'll have another chance to test later today and say for sure. From what I remember the plus felt more like a cruise ship, compared to a cigarette boat or jet ski. The board stays amazingly level, making it feel nice and solid. I can't wait for my mom to try the plus as it's probably a better ride for her.

Sadist...
    secretly trying to hurt your mom, Ej!!
    I will never let my mom on the onewheel
    older women and boardsports don't mix!! LOL

• @timvdp my mother introduced me to boardsports. We love to snowboard

• Haha the latest email blast - "Rule the City with +" But avoid cobblestones..

• For what it's worth, here are the responses I got from OWHQ.. Their quality of customer service has gotten to point where it feels automated. They never admit the plus has any problem with cobblestones.

We have successfully received your board and it has completed its evaluation. After evaluation the Onewheel+ is performing within specifications. Keep in mind the plus is whole new riding experience compared to the original Onewheel. Our test rider and lead repair tech both understand what you are describing in your initial description and shared their tips on riding with the new plus motor below.
    "The board can attempt to overcompensate when it loses contact going over small bumps with the wrong ride posture. To keep control of the board it is better to have a forward lean when going over the bump by either decelerating prior to the bump and accelerating over it, or keeping a forward shifted posture at speed going over the board. It takes a little practice to get a feel for, it but it is just like learning how to master a new ride"

How do you recommend riding cobblestones? The plus simply cannot handle them.

I ride around soho every day promoting your brand, but since my experience with the plus I have had to advise anyone who asks not to pre-order the plus and just get an original.

Thank you so much for the follow up question. We recommend riding at a constant speed and keeping your weight forward over the front food.
    If the cobblestones are fairly large, it may be best to slow down your speed. Can you tell us roughly the size?

To which I replied please just google nyc soho cobblestones.

Thanks for the follow up, after checking out some photos it does appear the cobblestones are roughly the same size, and it may be best to ride at a constant speed. It does sound like your board's limiter may have been pushed and overexerted, causing a tail bump on the floor when you felt the sensation of your motor "cutting out". Do you recall what speed you were traveling when this occurred?

At that point I asked for a refund and haven't heard back since.

Except for the mailer about how the + rules the city.. haha I wonder if this has anything to do with the original no longer being for sale today.

• @PowerWheel5000 not sure why your + has issues on cobblestones. I googled 'Soho cobblestones' and while I've not ridden on anything exactly like them, I have ridden something similar for a shorter distance and just flew right over them without issue. Maybe because the + is programmed differently than the original? On the + when the wheel loses contact the motor spins the tire super-fast, maybe that's contributing to the tail drag? Or maybe just lean back a little and take some of the weight off the nose (but still keep pressure on the front pad)?

• @PowerWheel5000 said in Hold onto your v1 (have a plus):

@timvdp my mother introduced me to boardsports. We love to snowboard

my moms 64 and allready broke her ankle 2 years ago ;)

• @timvdp sorry to hear that, hopefully she was doing something epic at the time

@groovyruvy I'm sure you are right along with the others who have suggested what is actually going on. The motor is not cutting out, but rather spinning up and causing the tail to slam down.

Was this same problem ever an issue wth the v1 that was eventually corrected by a firmware update? Unfortunately I fear the plus is only suitable for smooth conditions, contrary to some of the marketing videos

• getting something from on top of the fridge..twisted her foot 180degrees:(:(:(...so no onewheels for mom thank you very much!

• Had success with cobbles on the plus today, although I was not pushing it. Great ride for sure, overall more pleasant than v1.

The added speed and stability make it a safer board for street riding.

The tail does drop on bumps (not all of the time I'm still figuring this beast out). For the moment I will save riding like a madman for the v1 rides.

• @Corlux said in Hold onto your v1 (have a plus):

or same routes my V1 would always get 7 miles.
    ** Edit ** i've gotten a few rides with 6.4 miles, but most are 4.9 or 5 miles.

Same here although I don't have a v1 the mileage is always just under 5 if I ride it how I want.