Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience

• @iiikz said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

what ride mode are you guys using off-road with the plus?

i've seen some folks saying cruz was the best off pavement. that generally matches my experience, but every now and then i still seem to find a way to catch the front edge if the ground isn't pretty smooth.

Cruz seems to handle off-road terrain features much better than Mission, but it rides with the front a little too high for me to enjoy it for descending, at which point I usually switch back to Mission for the downhill.

All three modes are clearly missing something. A few tweaks and things would be almost perfect...

• My local trail access is too rough for the OW in general, so I use by burton backcountry backpack to strap the plus and hike in a half mile or so to the powder stashes. If you have a good backpack, loosing battery is less of an issue, as you can just 'boot pack' it or 'skin' your way out to the trail head. Good exercise.

• Takes a solid 2 months of constant riding to have a good perspective on this thing...

• @sonny123 agreed. Also once you realize that you don't need to treat it like a baby it becomes even more fun because you really would have to try to break it. Two minutes on YouTube will show you how much people abuse their boards and they still work fine and that in my mind is what sets the onewheel apart from every othet electric skateboard on the market.

• @sonny123 I agree with this statement, a week of riding the Onewheel is not exactly the best time to throw out a perspective even though that's fine and I am not going to stop you. There are plenty of active members in these forums that have been with Onewheel since the Kickstarter program, and those people should really be the ones with the most legit perspectives or reviews. Onewheel has come such a long way and if top speeds are what make people not like this board there are some things you should look into such as regulations, internal mechanics, etc etc. Longevity of the boards battery can differ with a 10 degree temperature change believe it or not so that's just something you come to realize with more riding experience as well. Understand that with the new Onewheel + Future Motion is working on a lot of these thread forums with making the Onewheel totally up to your custom preference but that is not something that happens within a week or a month. Let the Onewheel continue to progress, give at least a good couple of months of regular riding and I am sure you will come to understand better of why the board does what it does.

• @Snurfer said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

My local trail access is too rough for the OW in general, so I use by burton backcountry backpack to strap the plus and hike in a half mile or so to the powder stashes. If you have a good backpack, loosing battery is less of an issue, as you can just 'boot pack' it or 'skin' your way out to the trail head. Good exercise.

Yeah, that's something I'll definitely be doing. The battery pack I got seems to last at least 1.5 charges, if not two, so if I can just get to the golden terrain, I could handle carrying it out

• @BradK said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@sonny123 I agree with this statement, a week of riding the Onewheel is not exactly the best time to throw out a perspective even though that's fine and I am not going to stop you. There are plenty of active members in these forums that have been with Onewheel since the Kickstarter program, and those people should really be the ones with the most legit perspectives or reviews. Onewheel has come such a long way and if top speeds are what make people not like this board there are some things you should look into such as regulations, internal mechanics, etc etc. Longevity of the boards battery can differ with a 10 degree temperature change believe it or not so that's just something you come to realize with more riding experience as well. Understand that with the new Onewheel + Future Motion is working on a lot of these thread forums with making the Onewheel totally up to your custom preference but that is not something that happens within a week or a month. Let the Onewheel continue to progress, give at least a good couple of months of regular riding and I am sure you will come to understand better of why the board does what it does.

I am certain I will come to understand it better, and I'm certain I'll enjoy it. I guess what this review was really saying is: This is a great product and may well be a serious board sport in the future, but I'm pretty sure we're currently beta testing tech that has a long way to go. Other e-boards weren't even in the running for me for this reason. This is no comparison. Just an opinion on the plus so far, a highly flawed machine that I enjoy a great deal.

• @sonny123 said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

Takes a solid 2 months of constant riding to have a good perspective on this thing...

If I have a different opinion in two months I will happily correct myself.

• @jeffmccosker said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

"the design prevents it from ascending to the realm of "extreme sport" as anyone who achieved something truly "extreme" on a Onewheel would probably noseplant at the end of said maneuver. Unless there is some crazy awesome video I haven't seen; Feel free to link it."

Here you go:

https://youtu.be/u4XUgx6t4q8
    https://youtu.be/B1b1aFtBCrA
    https://youtu.be/TXRnuUBMzbg
    https://youtu.be/OPJ9gOpfvBw

Since I've been riding a lot, I can see these and establish that some of these things are impressive feats. But honestly, they don't look impressive. They look fun, they look like things I want to do, and they definitely look like things I'll be capable of doing within the year if I keep riding. Now, I'm a much better snowboarder than I am a Onewheeler, but I can't even begin to fathom some of the shit the pros do out there in other board sports. It's suicide if you fuck up! I don't want to see people getting hurt, I'm just saying the upper limit for this is never going to reach that kind of place without a serious design change. You'd have to be a wizard to catch 15 feet of air and land on a tire, let alone do it while landing on a balance board.

Bottom line: On a good snowboard, I don't feel the board's limits. I feel my own and I know the board holds a lot of potential I don't have the skills to seize, and I love riding knowing there's always further to go. Hitting the limits of the Onewheel is within reason for almost everyone, because its limits are part of its identity.

All that said, I'm going to keep riding for now. It's fun, and I'd be fine with eating my words.

• @ZeeMox I feel like any toy you grow out of but the Onewheel I always come back to and ride. I have similarities like you and do a great amount of snowboarding and that's the majority of why I bought the board. I cant argue much, I mean the board really mimics a true respect of what snowboarding feels like and some people just don't understand that concept. Ride on though and put it to the test off road or on the road because in the end it serves to me as an option of snowboarding out of season especially when you live in the Mid-Atlantic where our seasons sometimes survive maybe 3 months!

• I dont have the plus yet but there are some downsides to it even though its awesome! Battery life can be an issue but that usualy depends on riding style, an example is that someone who rides alot less fast and goes about 10-12 at top speed will get alot more distance than what I can do when im riding on average of 20-23 at top speed (On the v1) tire pressure mide help with your range, You can just say that people doing jumps on onewheels looks lame its just your used to being strapped to your board and gliding down a mountain pulling 3s doing railslides and huge jumps and that is the nature of snowboarding because your board is alot lighter and doesnt have limitations like the Onewheel does. Snowboarding is a hell of alot funner than onweheeling but they both are awesome, Onewheeling is kindof a way to keep us together until the next season. I mean what Jeff McCooster posted about how fricken good he is at onewheeling is awesome and just proved you way wrong. Keep riding you will love it.

• @ZeeMox said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ahxe45 said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ZeeMox overall you're review is pretty spot on. I don't have the plus but have had a v1 for over a year now and some of the gripes and things you like sound similar. One thing I would disagree with you on is the battery life. I wouldn't give up the board over getting 5 miles on a charge. On the v1 I average about 6 miles on the street and 5 off-road but you really arent going to find an electric board that can go much further besides maybe the evolve carbon but even with that board the advertised range is cut more than in half once you take it off road. Once you try a onewheel you can never go back!! Every other electric board you try from now you will compare it to the onewheel and see how awesome it is.

Hence my final score of 8/10. It's got a lot of drawbacks, mostly limitations of technological development beyond FM's control. But it's a board sport, and it's unique because you can't have quite the same experience with anything else. I can see myself having a lot of fun with this, I just wish I didn't have to spend so much of my ride thinking about battery, distance, etc. when I'd really love to just be in the zone tearing it up. I had a great time on some trails today and can only imagine how much better it would have been if I hadn't been mildly stressed out by battery monitoring.

So recently I broke my phone, totaly toast cant be used again. Ive gone withought it for 2ish weeks and ive ridden the OW every day I have my senses for how far I can go pretty much down but one day I had to carry it home 6 miles... that sucked alot. But it was because i was in the zone shredding, you will get stronger by having to carry it home or to your car or whatever. I mean just go until your onewheel cant carry you anymore, get in the zone and dont worry about battery.

• Interesting review. I also bought the OneWheel as a substitute for snowboarding. So we'll see how I like it if/when I receive it.

• @OffRoadOW said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ZeeMox said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ahxe45 said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ZeeMox overall you're review is pretty spot on. I don't have the plus but have had a v1 for over a year now and some of the gripes and things you like sound similar. One thing I would disagree with you on is the battery life. I wouldn't give up the board over getting 5 miles on a charge. On the v1 I average about 6 miles on the street and 5 off-road but you really arent going to find an electric board that can go much further besides maybe the evolve carbon but even with that board the advertised range is cut more than in half once you take it off road. Once you try a onewheel you can never go back!! Every other electric board you try from now you will compare it to the onewheel and see how awesome it is.

Hence my final score of 8/10. It's got a lot of drawbacks, mostly limitations of technological development beyond FM's control. But it's a board sport, and it's unique because you can't have quite the same experience with anything else. I can see myself having a lot of fun with this, I just wish I didn't have to spend so much of my ride thinking about battery, distance, etc. when I'd really love to just be in the zone tearing it up. I had a great time on some trails today and can only imagine how much better it would have been if I hadn't been mildly stressed out by battery monitoring.

So recently I broke my phone, totaly toast cant be used again. Ive gone withought it for 2ish weeks and ive ridden the OW every day I have my senses for how far I can go pretty much down but one day I had to carry it home 6 miles... that sucked alot. But it was because i was in the zone shredding, you will get stronger by having to carry it home or to your car or whatever. I mean just go until your onewheel cant carry you anymore, get in the zone and dont worry about battery.

just keep cruisin 26 on ure V1! ;)

• @OffRoadOW said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ZeeMox said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

6 miles! Man, screw that lol. There's no natural way to carry the thing by hand. Impressive that you pulled that off though, I'd have grabbed an uber after 3 miles lol.

So I ended up buying this, which someone linked in another thread:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFDGPHD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I wear that with one of my spare backpacking packs while I ride, I can easily carry both it and the onewheel. I've established that I can rely on two full charges from it, possibly a tiny bit more. Fast charging works fine with it. It's hard to tell the exact number of charges because the digital battery % readout on the battery is extremely inaccurate. It hangs out at 100% for way too long and then charges well past 0%. Anyway, for the price, it's the best you're going to get for that capacity. If I hadn't found something like this, I probably would have ended up selling the +, but this gives me enough range to fuck around in the mountains a bit :) And the collapsible backpacking pack gives me a back-friendly means of carrying it back home if I misjudge.

• @ZeeMox said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@OffRoadOW said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

6 miles! Man, screw that lol. There's no natural way to carry the thing by hand. Impressive that you pulled that off though, I'd have grabbed an uber after 3 miles lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFDGPHD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I wear that with one of my spare backpacking packs while I ride, I can easily carry both it and the onewheel. I've established that I can rely on two full charges from it, possibly a tiny bit more. Fast charging works fine with it. It's hard to tell the exact number of charges because the digital battery % readout on the battery is extremely inaccurate. It hangs out at 100% for way too long and then charges well past 0%. Anyway, for the price, it's the best you're going to get for that capacity. If I hadn't found something like this, I probably would have ended up selling the +, but this gives me enough range to fuck around in the mountains a bit :) And the collapsible backpacking pack gives me a back-friendly means of carrying it back home if I misjudge.

Well when you don't have a phone it's hard to get an uber ;-) but I think of it as good exercise when you have to carry it that long... it may take an hour and a half and you will get a few people asking what happened every 20 mins.

• @ZeeMox
    Does that AMSU thing come in a US version, or do need to buy an international charger to go with it?

• @Dave1234 said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

@ZeeMox
    Does that AMSU thing come in a US version, or do need to buy an international charger to go with it?

It has universal ac output, so no charger needed beyond the one you have.

@OffRoadOW said in Onewheel+ review from an experienced snowboarder, no prior OneWheel experience:

Well when you don't have a phone it's hard to get an uber ;-) but I think of it as good exercise when you have to carry it that long... it may take an hour and a half and you will get a few people asking what happened every 20 mins.

This actually just happened to me a couple of days ago. Had headphones in and didn't hear the mud that had built up between the fender and the tire, didn't notice anything until it overstressed the motor and hucked me off the front. Only two miles, and it wasn't the worst, you're right, but I still think I'll be getting a backpack that can carry the ow before I go too far again, that shit is hard on your shoulders.

• @ZeeMox Someone's simple solution for walking the board home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjJ8jVgrswU