Nosediving +

• I remember the same thing had happened with V1.
    They did few firmware updates until they got it just right with the 3056,
    albeit some annoying pushback at 14 mph, I think it's still the best we could have.

The + may need some tweaking along the way, but likely much less than the V1 as FM has plenty of experience by now.

Worth mentioning though that during the V1 mishaps, it was almost always user's error.

FM doesn't get involved in public forums for valid reasons,
    but I'd bet they read posts here and on FB and gather plenty of feedback...

• @PwnWheel let me try and put your mind at ease. You're going to hear a LOT of different (conflicting) stories and points of view on this forum. Some riders have a lot of experience, others have a little (or none). Many (not all) of the nosedive issues you're hearing about are a result of rider stance, body angle, gunning it too hard and/or being in the wrong digital shaping mode; or in some cases riders have reported problems after app updates (I've never experienced this). If it's none of those issues, there's a problem with the board and it needs to go back to FM. Shipping a board back to FM is more the exception rather than the rule- it happens, but it's not like every other board needs to go back. If you read the instructions that come with the board, follow best practices outlined in this forum, take adequate time to ease into more aggressive riding / higher speeds and wear personal protection, you will be fine, and well-prepared for any eventualities.

• @sonny123 I refuse to be told this was user error. I know what I'm doing. I've crashed HARD because of my own errors. This was no error. I was up and riding on a sidewalk I've carved over a hundred times, the board went dead, I went down like a load of bricks, and when I crawled back to my board, it was turned off. Zero chance I leaned down and turned off my board while I was riding.

• @shattle

Well, I said almost always.
    Doesn't mean there isn't faulty boards out there.

I think you should send it in and complete test.

• I posted on another thread about my experience last weekend. I have been riding a v1 for a couple of months on and off road, I got my + last week and I've seen a couple of strange things:

1. The motor turning off while I'm on it with my foot completely on the foot pad and standing still or moving extremely slowly
    2. Nose dive going uphill
    3. A couple of nosedives that you can see on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHGirqeybBo

I keep my weight typically on the back foot (that helped me to keep going on this couple of nosedives), so you can see that I start accelerating and then it seems the bump plus me accelerating generates the first nose dive, I more concerned around the second nose dive, on this one I had my weight on the back foot but the OW+ stopped pushing back and that's how the second nose dive happened, luckily I was able to recover from both and keep going.

• @sonny123 I will admit that my nosedives happened within my first week of riding a OneWheel. I thought perhaps it was something I was doing incorrectly. However the more and more I ride, the more certainty I have that there was an issue with the board that has since worked itself out. One thing I can clearly reference that has no basis on rider stance etc is the clicking I used to hear from within the motor that I no longer hear. Also my nosedives happened on completely smooth pavement within a parking garage while trying to gain speed as slowly as possible.
    I know I should contact FM to get it resolved for certain; however it seems to be working correctly now, and I really don't want to have to be without it for any period of time. :)

• @goodblake-eskate sorry that i am asking you again but after some time of using it what is more fun to ride GT or OW+ ? (Sorry for offtopic question)

• I experienced a nosedive on my + last week at high speed. Very abrupt and I didn't anticipate it at all, but I think I understand what happened, and it was almost certainly self-induced by some very aggressive riding. It was definitely a tough lesson learned for me and worth sharing so others can learn from it.

Mission mode on flat, smooth pavement trail. I was carving back and forth while being fairly aggressive accelerating during heel-side turns and decelerating toe-side. The feel of this type of riding reminded me a lot of surfing, accelerating down the face of a wave and then slowing down while carving back up and across. Awesome feel, and it's a lot of fun on the OW. It was after accelerating fairly aggressively and reaching high speed that the board completely shut down and did a nosedive. Lots of road rash, sprained wrist, not fun.

I have felt push back when cruising and always honored it by slowing down a bit. In this case, however, I think I likely pushed right on through any push back from the board without ever feeling it since I was accelerating and carving fairly aggressively. Lesson for me -- don't be so aggressive with accelerating and allow margin for the board to communicate (push back) when it's nearing the edge of the envelope.

It would be great if the board could be mech'd to wind down gradually to a stop when that edge-of-envelope is reached, but I don't know enough about the technical design to understand why this isn't possible. It shuts off and the nose dives into the pavement at high speed. Off you go.

It seems reasonable to assume that FM's own riders experienced plenty of nosedives during testing and that they're well aware of the riding styles that can induce them. They've communicated at least some of these in the owner's manual, but it may be tough to outline all the ways that it can happen. I can say for sure that I'd be pretty freaked out if this happened to me while just cruising along smoothly at a constant speed. I wouldn't get back on that board without having it looked at by FM. In my case I was clearly being too aggressive during acceleration and I'm more than happy to own up for that.

• This post is deleted!

• @timvdp said in Nosediving +:

always keeping pressure on your entire foot

I saw this debunked on the facebook group by user Jody James‎, he had a video of himself riding his plus at a good speed and raising his heel up completely off one side of the sensor pad and it kept riding fine:

"Several days ago there was a discussion about whether the plus will function properly at speed when only one sensor is activated (i.e. lifting your heel). I can't find the original post so I don't know if this already has been demonstrated to the satisfaction of whoever made the challenge for video proof- apologies if this post is redundant. Bottom line: The board rides fine when one sensor goes cold. Heel lift shuts down the motor, but only at very low speeds."

"It will only shut off under .5 mph"

• @RandomNate Hear hear! I ride aggressively enough that my frontside heel lifts frequently. Has never been a problem. The flatfoot at all times advice is not correct.

• @jdb Not trying to argue, but as I said in my original post and in reply to Sonny123--my + TURNED OFF. I didn't push through pushback. IT TURNED ITSELF OFF. I'm getting tired of people always circling back to pushback and pushing through pushback, as if it were some kind of mysterious experience that needs to be explained so people understand why they crash. I've pushed through it, I've ridden it out, I've crashed, I've done it all. 19.5 mph on my V1 without crashing--I know what pushback is and how it feels. Just because that's how NOOBS (including me, when I was one) frequently crash does not mean that's how all crashes occur. PUSHBACK DIDN'T TURN MY BOARD OFF.

• @jdb - was the app connected when your + nose dived? If so about what speed did it happen? The + is capable of sustaining 20mph in mission pretty effortlessly so if you nose dived at around that speed, then a board limitation failure, if you were below 20mph when it nose dived, possibly riding technique.

• @wr420 App not connected. I was under 10 mph, above 5 mph. THE BOARD TURNED ITSELF OFF--IT WAS OFF WHEN I CRAWLED BACK TO IT. What riding technique would cause that?

NEVER MIND--Sorry. Just realized your comment was to JDB not me.

• @shattle have you reached to FM on this? If not, sounds like it may be a good idea.

• @groovyruvy Yeah I'm talking to Carly. Riding my V1 while this gets sorted out. I still like, but damn I miss the + already--smoother, faster, quieter, stronger.

• @shattle I had a prob with a v1 where it would shut itself off. A side effect was the mileage would reset to zero each time. It only happened when cold(40-50F) for the first few minutes of riding til it warmed up. Bad BMS was to blame.

• @RandomNate Yes, and I had debunked it the day before on another thread by posting a video of me riding my V1 (which works the same way as far as the 2 sensors go) and moving my toe completely off the sensor. Doing this doesn't disengage the motor once you're riding faster than 0.5mph, because FM has intelligent engineers who realize foot adjustments are a necessity.

• Random nate:
    true I stand corrected...
    I was thinking of an old v1(fabuz?) vid and discussion...
    but now the "It will only shut off under .5 mph" thing is true (not sure if that was also done from the start though)
    but I forgot about that when I was trying to troubleshoot here..
    my bad ;)

• I had this happen to me twice, at 5.6mph and again at 8mph. Nose just dropped right out. I contacted FM, and we found a problem with the sensors, and they asked me to send in the foot pad.

Turns out the connector wasn't securely plugged in all the way. (I blame FM's QA dept.) I unplugged it by just wiggling it a bit, then reconnected it. 10 miles later, no problem.

Check the connector under the food pad sensor. Re-seat the both connectors, and see what happens.