Nosediving +

• Only because someone might find it interesting, I shot this video at what I believe was the first LA Onewheel meetup I ever went to. We were messing around seeing if one person could ride 2 Onewheels. This is @MichaelW successfully doing it.

As you can see, he's only covering one sensor on each board, so we had to have two people push on the other 2 sensors until he was going fast enough. Which as you can see isn't very fast at all, though he was going too slow the first attempt:
    https://vimeo.com/156128028

• @shattle Yep, I get it. Your situation was completely different. I didn't mean to suggest that you pushed through pushback in your case. I was just sharing a very different nosedive experience so others could learn from it.

• @wr420 app was connected, but I didn't check the speed after the nosedive. I was going pretty fast, but I don't think 20mph. I think the issue in my case was the rate of acceleration, that I pushed very aggressively through 15mph or so. So not only was I accelerating at a fairly high speed, but I was leaning into it and so I think I just wasn't able to feel the board push back.

• On acceleration you really can't just put your foot into it so to speak. Gaining speed is kind of a gradual thing.

• I received two OW+ boards while I was out of town. My teenage son (who longboards) caught on really quickly, but then had a nasty fall when the board accelerated, apparently without his input. I rode it this morning and it did a sudden nosedive while rolling slightly uphill on very smooth pavement at 12mph. Mission mode. Skinned my elbow, but knee and wrist protection helped. Board did not turn off. I was too hurt to think about looking at error codes.

The second board is flawless. Not a single glitch in 15 miles today. Mission mode too.

There's definitely something going on with some, but not all boards. I've contacted FM - they suggested it's me moving my sensor foot, since the board would've turned off if there was a malfunction. I could imagine that if I had been carving or going over bumps, but this was silky smooth fresh asphalt. I bet I end up paying shipping to get this fixed. Not cool.
    ![0_1495766411664_IMG_2335.JPG](Uploading 15%)

• @runtgun are you absolutely sure this is happening in mission mode, not another mode? And the board is accelerating without your input? Also definitely not shutting off when dismounted? If so you need to contact FM for some factory love.

• I took a hard nose dive going about 12 mph on smooth pavement, Like you said it was a dive that I wasn't expecting its like the board just dug in and launched me... fucked up my wrists and knee and elbow.. I wondered if it was a glitch or I just messed up but going over it in my head and I feel like it was the board that just let go. Also I didnt have any push back in mission mode for like a week and now all of a sudden I'm getting a lot of push back not like before. I'm just going to wear knee pads wrist guards and elbow pads plus the helmet.. Im 33 Im too old to be getting hurt. I also suggest everyone go full retard on pads.. it's so worth it when u take that same nose dive and come out unscathed.

• @NickthePlumber Be careful! I assumed the blame was mine the first time, but it did it again the next day. FM sent me a UPS label to send it back for a warranty claim.

• @Tomka Hey sorry, I am just now seeing this. Also I am not sure I can give you a definitive answer either way. Here are my thoughts on the two.

Evolve GTs
    Pros: Higher top speed - more range - more stable due to the 4 wheels - I love riding around with my dog so I would never get rid of the Evolve.
    Cons: Requires a remote (hands free is really nice on OneWheel) - requires lights if necessary - more stuff = more cumbersome + more stuff to worry about charging and cords etc - more maintenance - requires more tinkering (could be a pro if you enjoy this sort of thing - I do at times) - 4 hour battery charge

OneWheel
    Pros: Built like a tank - more awe factor - so easy to just grab one thing and go versus the extras with the Evolves - more maneuverable - more playful / fun to ride in a slower technical kind of way (if that makes sense) - quick battery charge (gives you a chance to take a quick break)
    Cons: short battery life compared to Evolves - less stable where certain bumps can send you flying unexpectedly vs the same bumps on Evolve would just be bumps (Yes if riding with knees bent / athletic position, the OneWheel can handle all the same bumps as the Evolve, but this is more referencing the random little dip or bump you might not even notice while riding more upright / causally can launch you off the Onewheel. In same situation on Evolve it would be a non issue.) - I take my charger with me every time I ride the Onewheel due to the short battery life. - slower top speed - Can't casually ride above 15 mph due to pushback versus Evolve where I can easily ride around 20 MPH no problem.

So based on my personal pros and cons if I had to pick just one, I would pick the Evolve primarily bc I like riding with my dog and the extra distance. HOWEVER if I didn't have a dog and I could get where I needed to go in 5 miles or less or just wanted something fun for surfing around town, I would get the Onewheel hands down! Hope this helps

• I was reading this thread last week and thinking to myself "Well, I'm glad my board doesn't have this issue". That statement only held for a few more days unfortunately. Last Sunday I experienced my first nose dive. I had been riding for almost a month with virtually no issues and have gotten used to riding at at the higher speeds (17-20 MPH) in Mission mode. I have received an error message on my phone on 2 separate occasions regarding one of the sensors not responding for so many seconds at such a speed, but I never noticed any riding issues, so I ignored them. I was going about 17 MPH in the bike lane of a perfectly flat, clean road and out of the blue my OW+ nose dived/lost power. Given the speed, surface (asphalt), and the fact I was not expecting this, I was unable to free ride it out and flew off my OW+ and went sliding across the asphalt. Luckily there were no cars nearby and I didn't break anything, just several abrasions and a semi-deep laceration to my elbow that ended up needing stitches (I was only wearing a short sleeve shirt and shorts, but did have a helmet on). I had a full battery when I started and had only gone 1 mile. My stance was solid, covering both front sensors and the back one, no debris in the road, no change in footing, the OW+ just gave up randomly. This has definitely lowered my confidence in the OW+ because once I do heal up, I'm going to be constantly worrying that at any moment without warning my OW could shut off/stop working and I may end up with another expensive ER bill.

I've reached out to Future Motion regarding this, so far their response has been trying to find fault with me regarding my stance, or road obstacles and suggesting video tutorials to me on how to ride the board. I know how to ride!! It's an issue with the board! Will update once I get another response.

• @blugamer44
    that sucks, hope ure faith 'll be restored soon ;)

• @blugamer44 there is nothing more unnerving than riding a onewheel you feel you can't depend on, it undermines the whole experience. Maybe it's because there are a lot more onewheels out in the world now, or maybe it's because there are more people active on these forms, but just recently there has been an increase in reports of runaway boards, and boards not shutting off when dismounted. On Facebook there's a video of a onewheel+ zooming away from its owner at high speeds for very long distances, in fact it ended up in a river (FM is warrantying it)! Some of us are speculating that there may be issues with a batch of the front footpad sensors, although I've had no issues. One thing you can do without affecting your warranty is to unscrew your front foot pad and verify that the sensor connection to the board is solid. Because if that connection isn't intact, that's definitely a problem. If yours is connected properly and you're certain it's not a stance or other rider issue, then you should be firm with FM and require them to inspect the board. Realizing you're not eager for another wipeout, if you can duplicate the problem, and even better, capture a video of it failing, that's going to be hard for FM to ignore. If you ride with anyone else maybe let them give the board a try and see if they have issues, and you can also bench test the board by putting the tail on a raised surface and then bring the nose to level with your hand on the front foot pads- keep pushing the nose further down and see if the motor abruptly shuts off. Whether or not this is a rider error issue or a malfunctioning board issue doesn't change the reality that you ended up with a nasty fall and some battle wounds (and maybe a medical bill). This may be the number one reason I wear pads- because there is the potential the board can fail you even if you are doing (or think you are doing) everything right.

• Same here with the rando nosedives, my plus is not being ridden till they address this. Already sent it in and they said it had no problems. Yeah right

• @PowerWheel5000 did they just ship it back to you without doing anything to it, or what is the status?

• 1st impression on the +

Ultra smooth. It's like riding a Cadillac. lol..
    Just did 2 miles and getting to know the board.
    I ride with my front foot angled and thought the + would respond even better.
    3rd dismount attempt, it didn't disengage.
    So now I'm back to basics practicing dismount while holding on to the fence.
    I've read somewhere that FM may have received pads with some type of a sensor issues.
    That may be the cause of runaways problems I've read on FB page.
    My V1 has tons of miles and the pads work flawlessly.
    Heck, I'm hesitant to replace them as they look pretty beaten up, but if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
    Gonna take me good few weeks to form a solid opinion on the +,
    but my first instinct, it's a winner.

• Does anyone know how much weight can a ow+ handle on the front foot pad before it nosedive? I'm guessing that it must be something like 120pounds/55kg. I will ask OW for an official number. I don't want to find out the hard way :-)
    Does light weight riders have the nosedive problem? Or is this happening to riders over 150pound\70kg?

• @JacoNZ

I don't think weight has anything to do with it.
    There are videos of guys carrying their surf boards on.
    I'm 225 lbs and often carry my 28 lbs dog down to the bike lane before I let her run along.

• @JacoNZ I don't want to discount what others are saying as I have had my board nose dive a couple times (luckily i was able to run out the crash without falling) as it sure does suck when it happens and does hurt your confidence for sure.

That said, I'm 90% certain the first time this happened to me it was related to my stance. It was day two or three of owning my board and being used to skating downhill a bit, I took an agressive downhill longboard/skateboard stance with most of my weight on the front foot. I think I simply overpowered the board that time. It'd need a Diesel engine to produce the torque needed to keep my fat ass elevated with all my weight on one side so that was probably my bad.

There was another time that it did the same thing at slightly lower speed and I managed to run it out as well. It's still possible that this was related to my stance, but i know i wasn't attacking it like the prior time.

Both times this has happened to me I have noted the message related to the foot pads not being activated for 5 seconds on my iPhone, so having read these posts, I think I'll check my sensor connections and suggest others do the same. I've been making a conscious effort to stay flat footed and steer with my rear foot.

I wonder if there are "cold spots" on the sensors or if the sensor area as drawn is larger than it is in practice.

I'll end by saying I'm really enjoying his thing and while I'm less than stoked about the thought of it ejecting me again, I have enough fun on it to accept that risk.

• @groovyruvy they test rode it, said it checked out, and sent it back. I asked for them not to send it back until it was fixed but they sent it anyway

• Mine definitely was in mission mode when it cut out - I even checked afterwards. I agree on the confidence issue. I've been loving my second board and I've had zero issues.

The first board (that has dumped two riders) sat unused until today when I went for 3-4 miles, (fully padded!) because the second one was charging. Not as fun when you're scared to go faster than you can run! That being said, it performed flawlessly.

I'm interested in the theory that we can put too much weight on the front and the motor could give up. I would guess that could only happen with aggressive acceleration? I wasn't accelerating, but I was going up a bit of a slope. I weigh 205. Maybe I'll keep riding it fully padded for a while.