Nosediving +

• Does anyone know how much weight can a ow+ handle on the front foot pad before it nosedive? I'm guessing that it must be something like 120pounds/55kg. I will ask OW for an official number. I don't want to find out the hard way :-)
    Does light weight riders have the nosedive problem? Or is this happening to riders over 150pound\70kg?

• @JacoNZ

I don't think weight has anything to do with it.
    There are videos of guys carrying their surf boards on.
    I'm 225 lbs and often carry my 28 lbs dog down to the bike lane before I let her run along.

• @JacoNZ I don't want to discount what others are saying as I have had my board nose dive a couple times (luckily i was able to run out the crash without falling) as it sure does suck when it happens and does hurt your confidence for sure.

That said, I'm 90% certain the first time this happened to me it was related to my stance. It was day two or three of owning my board and being used to skating downhill a bit, I took an agressive downhill longboard/skateboard stance with most of my weight on the front foot. I think I simply overpowered the board that time. It'd need a Diesel engine to produce the torque needed to keep my fat ass elevated with all my weight on one side so that was probably my bad.

There was another time that it did the same thing at slightly lower speed and I managed to run it out as well. It's still possible that this was related to my stance, but i know i wasn't attacking it like the prior time.

Both times this has happened to me I have noted the message related to the foot pads not being activated for 5 seconds on my iPhone, so having read these posts, I think I'll check my sensor connections and suggest others do the same. I've been making a conscious effort to stay flat footed and steer with my rear foot.

I wonder if there are "cold spots" on the sensors or if the sensor area as drawn is larger than it is in practice.

I'll end by saying I'm really enjoying his thing and while I'm less than stoked about the thought of it ejecting me again, I have enough fun on it to accept that risk.

• @groovyruvy they test rode it, said it checked out, and sent it back. I asked for them not to send it back until it was fixed but they sent it anyway

• Mine definitely was in mission mode when it cut out - I even checked afterwards. I agree on the confidence issue. I've been loving my second board and I've had zero issues.

The first board (that has dumped two riders) sat unused until today when I went for 3-4 miles, (fully padded!) because the second one was charging. Not as fun when you're scared to go faster than you can run! That being said, it performed flawlessly.

I'm interested in the theory that we can put too much weight on the front and the motor could give up. I would guess that could only happen with aggressive acceleration? I wasn't accelerating, but I was going up a bit of a slope. I weigh 205. Maybe I'll keep riding it fully padded for a while.

• @sonny123
    I think weight must play a big part, it must be much easier for a 200 pound rider to nosedive that for a 100 pound rider.
    The board will have a limit in weight it can handle on the front pad before it dives.

• @JacoNZ said in Nosediving +:

@sonny123
    I think weight must play a big part, it must be much easier for a 200 pound rider to nosedive that for a 100 pound rider.
    The board will have a limit in weight it can handle on the front pad before it dives.

I believe the board can manage atleast 275 pounds without breaking (I piggy backed my son through the park).

With that said, handling weight is not an issue with the board.

It is recovery after a direction change that weight hugely affect. When a person nosedives a heavier person has greater momentum to deal with.

But,If your thinking that excessive weight causes the nosedive then it maybe another issue with self-balancing.

• @PowerWheel5000 hmm. If that's the case then FM feels it's rider error; because if they found anything wrong with the board they would have gone ahead and taken care of it- especially if the board is under warranty and it was something easy, like changing out the footpads. Impossible for me to say as I have no hands-on experience with your board and haven't seen any video of it, but if FM is 'saying' it's rider error, then maybe it's worth considering that indeed they are correct. I'm not saying that's the case, just saying that it's sounding more likely based on the fact that they did no repairs to it while in their possession.

• @groovyruvy Yes clearly. They think the board is fine. But in my experience, my plus has serious problems with random nosedives on smooth pavement, and tail drags when riding rough terrain. I haven't figured out how to ride the plus the way I can rock my v1. And honestly am scared to ride the plus these days

• @PowerWheel5000

Apparently this is how you are supposed to ride the plus:
    http://youtu.be/QgUod7I2cgw

• Can we truly trust a business when they frequently say "it's the consumer's fault"? That is the first defense an entity will use to shift responsibility.

We must not forget that there was a stoppage in production TWICE for our Onewheel Plus. Just maybe they did not properly address the issues before shipping to us. Maybe something on the OW+ isn't calibrated correctly for the average rider.

I had a bad nose dive on day 1 in Sequoia mode and I can attribute that specific fall to the learning curve, but last week my board threw me off while riding in my building's garage doing about 5mph with about 60+ miles on it.

I currently have battery issues (no beach riding here), in which I can't charge the OW+ (red light on the charger doesn't come on) and the battery level isn't visible to the app. I'm waiting for Future Motion to send me the UPS label to send it back. I just don't want to be the first person, and anyone else, to be killed because the OW+ did a nosedive into traffic!

• @JacoNZ said in Nosediving +:

Does anyone know how much weight can a ow+ handle on the front foot pad before it nosedive?

It has more to do with how much weight is also on the back end. It's a matter of physics: if most of your weight is on the front, then NONE of your weight is on the wheel. Result: Wheel spins out, forward momentum stops, you nosedive.

• I just did my first nosedive going uphill on my brand new +. This is probably the 4th time I have ridden it and it only has about 4 mi on it. This was the first ride that I actually started to lean forward and move faster. My neighborhood is very hilly and I am about 175 lbs so I could have gotten too confident and leaned forward too far moving uphill to accelerate. On the other hand, I did get a few warnings that my foot was not on both sensors earlier on the ride so I'll check that also. I have been snowboarding for almost 30 years and Onewheeling for less than a week so I'll keep learning before I blame the board. I was wearing a helmet but my knee, wrist and elbow guards haven't arrived yet. Luckily I only have a little road rash to deal with.

• @Snurfer thanks! I had not seen any aggressive plus riding yet and that video just gave me a lot more confidence. cc @slydogstroh great riding and recording!

• @MalibuCANE Riding uphill is a whole different ballgame. The Onewheel is attempting to stay level to flat ground, and has no clue what the terrain is doing. This means the steeper the hill, the less clearance you have between the nose and the ground (and between the tail and the ground when going downhill), so you have to be extra careful when accelerating.

• @thegreck Second thegreck. In Seattle, the roads are so full of ripples, dips, valleys, contours and potholes (I think they just poured cement right over the top of stumps and open creeks) that going uphill at 5 mph is often more likely to produce a nose-in crash than going down at 15+ mph. All it takes is a short inch or two of alternative grade (i.e. a small dip in the grade) while you're climbing to throw off the electronics/mechanics. Eyes on road. Onewheelin' not for daydreamin'.

• @goodblake-eskate Thanks a lot for this awesome comparison!

• Folks on this thread:

For what it's worth, I just got an email from FM telling me my board is back in the mail to me, post-repairs, no charge, which does not happen when FM concludes rider error. I asked them specifically what the problem was and haven't heard back yet. I'll post if/when I do, tho' FM is pretty cagey about info like that it seems.

Hi Jason,
    Just wanted to let you know your repair us currently being shipped back to you, the tracking link can be found here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Have a good day,
    Team Onewheel

• @shattle: The word direct from FM:

Hi Jason,

After putting your board through our diagnostic test, we were able to isolate the issue to a component within the battery module. Our repair technicians replaced the entire component. Subsequently, your board passed the exit inspection and was test ridden before leaving the factory to assure quality standard.

You are now ready for more Onewheel adventures!!

All the best,
    Gabrielle