Unusual questions asked by random strangers

• @hustle lol, tell me about it man! Once you get that 'fever' in you, costs start adding up quickly haha..

I wanted to share an experience I had yesterday with everyone. I returned from my longest (18 mile) ride with my gf who was biking, taking several breaks to charge. I live near a large network of parks and enjoy riding on scenic paved biking / walking trails when I can. Most of these trails post no motorized vehicle signs. I make it a point to be super friendly to others, smile as I ride by, always give pedestrians/bikers the right of way, and also wear helmet/pads. In other words, I try to be respectful of others and my surroundings...safety first always.

On two separate occasions yesterday, two older guys on their bikes (who I intentionally slowed down for so they could pass me) became very confrontational about my OW, constantly inferring that it has to be a motor vehicle (which is true), but with a very rude tone. I knew what they were getting at. I calmly told the first guy who confronted me that it's actually not motorized, but a spring loaded device haha. I can tell that this response threw him off, but I didn't give him anymore time to try refuting as I chose to pass him at that point. I told the second guy that the OW uses a system of tension coils/magnets and requires me to manually wind it up every so often lol. I'm clearly not an engineer haha. He said that doesn't seem right and asked me what the OW was called. I told him that it's a prototype I developed and that I can't provide any more details as they are highly confidential. I figured who is he to think otherwise to question me?

I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this same scenario, but I'd be interested to see how you may have responded?

• @regulat0r I think you take the right approach. I am always as respectful as possible.
    As for the one offs, I would do what you did and try to get them to just go away. Chances are they won't call the cops and if they do you'll be far away by the time they come. Cops and city employees have seen me on the no motorized vehicle paths a couple of times and I've never been bothered. I think the no motorized vehicle signs weren't intended for something that only goes 20. They were posted for mopeds and dirt bikes and shit. I highly doubt anyone with authority would stop you.

• @regulat0r

Nice approach.

Tell him it's called Springy Board and to look it up on Youtube.

• @hustle Thanks for your feedback! You're absolutely spot on with everything. I've been passed by police officers and employees as well without issues, for the most part. First weekend I took my OW out, I ended up falling off trying to go up a grass hill. There was an officer in his car who pulled up close by. He was very friendly and asked if I was okay, then told me to be safe. Two weeks later at that same park, an employee who I coincidentally saw riding a golf cart on the trail when I arrived ended up stopping me later from her cart noting that I’m on a motorized vehicle. I haven’t been back there in a few weeks. Just waiting for the staff to start decreasing soon as it gets colder. I know everyone’s mileage may vary, but it’s always best to just keep it calm and cool if approached.

@sonny123 good call on that! Seems like it could be a nice deflection ;)

• @regulat0r

Great info here. I may recycle some of these responses if needed on a trail..

• @thegreck Yeah, I took out a loan and bought my OW and a new mattress at the same time. That's how I talked the wife into letting me get one.

I teach, and my kids will ask (more because they want to buy than to be rude) how much I paid. I just tell them "A pretty good bit," and they start guessing. I'll give them clues. Strangers ask, and I usually tell them. I do, however, feel exactly like you are describing...

• Last night I was riding in a park, and a guy that was walking his dog approached and said something like « Tell me that's a prototype of something you made and you are testing it! »
    For a minute I was tempted to say yes, but then I ended up telling the truth: I'M FROM THE FUTURE.

• @matto That's not a lie!! I'm totally with you 😎

• @tr6 Oh man, I've had the opposite experience - dogs HATE me on the OneWheel!

• @1woman1wheel For the first time, here too today. That dog came straight at me. Luckily it disappeared as quickly as it had come..

• @SaturnOne hopefully you were able to ride faster than it could run! I dunno though. Some scary dogs are also scary fast. Someone a couple streets away from me owns two REALLY scary dogs; thank God they're fenced in because they would have eaten me for dinner twice by now. Still, I avoid riding that way now.

@hustle said in Unusual questions asked by random strangers:

@regulat0r I think you take the right approach. I am always as respectful as possible.
    As for the one offs, I would do what you did and try to get them to just go away. Chances are they won't call the cops and if they do you'll be far away by the time they come. Cops and city employees have seen me on the no motorized vehicle paths a couple of times and I've never been bothered. I think the no motorized vehicle signs weren't intended for something that only goes 20. They were posted for mopeds and dirt bikes and shit. I highly doubt anyone with authority would stop you.

I was nervous about that at first and missed a great opportunity to ride on Cape Cod. But yeah, rode one up in Newburyport, MA and it was no problem - I think the sign is definitely meant for mopeds and such.

• I live neer CU in Boulder Colorado and went by a local stoner who said "That's cool! Do I have anything I could trade you for that!" I just said no, but I should have asked him what he had in mind.

• I was carving in a park and a kid screamed "hashtag style".

Another time carving in the streets, I saw a cop car and got nervous so I slowed down and started rolling in a straight line and missed a stop sign. Cop yelled out the window "looking good except for the stop".

• @l4rzzz Haha, nice! I flew by a group of dudes riding Penny boards yesterday and got a "Hell yeah, bro!"

• @1woman1wheel said in Unusual questions asked by random strangers:

@SaturnOne hopefully you were able to ride faster than it could run! I dunno though. Some scary dogs are also scary fast. Someone a couple streets away from me owns two REALLY scary dogs; thank God they're fenced in because they would have eaten me for dinner twice by now. Still, I avoid riding that way now.

I used to ride a recumbent bike, and after having a loose dog chase me and snap at me while my face was at the height of its teeth, I started carrying bear mace. Might be a good idea, not just for dogs but for muggers who notice you're on a $1500 board.

• @badcheese I always have a can of dog mace in my pocket when I ride. My neighborhood is a bit ghetto-y and has a lot of stray dogs wandering around and a lot of angry dogs barking at me from behind rickety fences I don't trust can contain them.

• The other day I rode past a group of teenage boys hanging out at the baseball field. With one voice, they all said "siiiiiick" as I passed. And I was laughing to myself... I could be your mother and I'm cooler than you are!

• @thegreck I'm not far from you. Highland Park. Rough around the edges, but gentrifying.

• @badcheese It just seems the people in my neighborhood like collecting dogs that they keep in the front yard and never pay any attention to. It's sick sad and scary.

• @westcoastr

Very cool. Respect!