Hoverboards banned on airlines

• @tomtnt damn no one is safe!!! haha this is really a bummer, I travel a lot for work and fun, already had so many plans to take this little guy everywhere :(

• This had me pretty bummed out as I live in NYC and going to Fresno for the holidays. I really wanted to take advantage of the wide open streets to get some good carving in. I got quotes from Fedex and UPS and they were really high. Then I tried this app called Shyp after seeing them all over the subway cars. They picked up my Onewheel (I kept the original box) in 20 minutes professionally packaged it themselves and it's already on it's way to Fresno for 51 bucks. Also with 1500 dollars of insurance. Expected delivery is 6 days.

• Sounds like I'll be doing more road trips than flying. At least flying with it was fun while it lasted.

• Ridiculous. Taking my board come Wednesday. bastards. Through heaven or hell.

• @sml said:

Ridiculous. Taking my board come Wednesday. bastards. Through heaven or hell.

You mean you're going to try to take it on an airplane? Good luck man! Let us know what happens and which airline/airport! It really pisses me off that those stupid cheap-ass "hoverboards" are ruining it for everyone else!

• Banned

read this article before you buy one
    http://bit.ly/1IpDFpa

Hoverborad is banned on amazon now , no one can buy from it

• @Grace They are banned on Amazon because they are low quality SHIT. Notice how the Razor hovertrax is NOT banned. The boards being banned are very low quality and not worth a cent. Don't come to these boards and spam info about your shit please.

• In checking major airline websites it now appears that airlines are not accepting any type of board device with lithium ion batteries regardless of battery size

• The Onewheel is a lithium iron phosphate battery, but good luck explaining the difference to TSA workers during the holiday rush...or anytime for that matter.

• @forzabucks A Lithium iron phosphate battery is a type of Lithium ion battery. But usually a higher quality one compared to the hoverboard lithium cobalt oxide batteries. There are well know safety risks with lithium cobalt oxide batteries, especially when damaged. Lithium iron phosphate batteries usually have a lower power density compared to lithium cobalt oxide, but are much safer.

Try explaining that to TSA and watch their eyes gloss over.

• The only analogy I can think of in regards to the airlines response would be the following:

Someone tried bringing an alligator on a plane, so the airlines made sure to ban anything with four legs and teeth.

Now I can't bring my dog on a plane.

• Who's flown since the ban? Has anyone tried to check their OneWheel on a flight yet? As a check in? I am sure if you just check it in and don't tell them what it is you should be fine. Maybe even just put it in an unmarked box? Any rebels out there try this yet?

• I would be very careful about just checking a board in your luggage without disclosing this to the airline. I believe you need to verify during check-in that you are not transporting any forbidden items. This could be a federal offense. It could also result in your board being confiscated should it be discovered in your bag.

• If you want it wherever you are going, just ship it ahead of time to be safe. Not worth having it stuck in TSA limbo, which is basically the worst kind of limbo there is, and I'm including the limbo that borders Hell.

• We could set up a separate forum topic for holiday home exchanges where a OW comes with the house.

• @thegreck
    No go. Didn't let it pass through security heading to miami airport.
    This sucks. I need a board in miami

• @sml Sucks! Damit! Those pretend Hoverboards officially ruined it!

Why do they call them hoverboards anyway... They are forward facing and they have wheels.... NOT A HOVERBOARD PEOPLE!!!

American, Alaska, Delta, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Southwest and United Airlines have banned hoverboards on passenger flights, and the US Postal Service has stopped shipping hoverboards by air as well. Amazon and Target both temporarily suspended sales, and Overstock.com has stopped selling hoverboards at all.

• Check this post to help complain to the Airlines about this.

Post with Links to Airline complaint pages by: @callenj357

• It only cost $42 and took two days to send mine from DC to south Florida last week via UPS