Do not ride at high speed!

• @rk_d I’ll never take mine above low speed. Having received a “mortal” wound and being fixed in the trauma ward was enough to cure me. I just flat out don’t trust the high speed mode.

• @cameroni79 yeah! I am past my prime and stunts with motorized vehicles is a thing of the past for me. OW has definitely got some issues and inherent limits when it comes to fail resistance. It is , what it is and knowing limits can minimize our trips to the ER.

I can point out alot of the failure points of the OW, but it would just upset many die hard fanboys. Just enjoy and know your own limits.

• @bmtka The board "powered off". That's not rider failure.

• This post is deleted!

• I had a hard fall 3 days ago the resulted in me fracturing my Humerus (upper arm) bone. I’ve been skate boarding and snowboarding for many years so riding the one wheel was very natural. I’ve also read a lot of stories around here when trying to hit the top speed and so I never attempt it nor do I ever try to push through the push back. I think the top speed recorded in my app is around 18-19mph and I’m sure it was downhill at some point. But I’m very happy staying under 16mph.

Anyways I was just casually riding to my mailbox which I do on the one whee daily. I was on the road accelerating and was at around 14-16 mph in a straight line and the front of the board just dropped during acceleration and was able to run it out for 2 steps before I came crashing down. I was in complete shock that the board just dumped me forward and my first thought was to go and check if the board shut down. Painfully got up and checked and the blue light was on. So I was accelerating on a level street and the front dropped me at around 15 or so mph. I had scrapes across my knee, stomach area and my arm. But the impact of my elbow to the road cause me to fracture my humerus bone right in my shoulder socket and not sure how bad my muscle is there but I am unable to lift my right arm or use it in any way that requires strength. Doctor says it will probably take about 6 weeks to heal.

I’m not blaming the one wheel here, but I’ve been riding it long enough in various terrains to know what I’m doing. I’m also not pushing the limits. I think it happened in a quick transition between accelerating at a quick pace and then going neutral. There could have been slippage on the road or something. Without data, it’s just hard to know what happened. I’m still riding the one wheel even with the injury, but I’m keeping he speeds to 5-10mph on the street until I can gain trust again (and heal obviously). But I do think there must be certain scenarios that can cause the front to drop too quickly in an unexpected way. Just the nature of trusting software to always keep you balanced in a single wheel. I think my lesson is to take it easy on acceleration and make sure my body weight is always leaning back instead of being so neutral, especially at higher speeds.

• @radiantm3 said in Do not ride at high speed!:

I had a hard fall 3 days ago the resulted in me fracturing my Humerus (upper arm) bone. I’ve been skate boarding and snowboarding for many years so riding the one wheel was very natural. I’ve also read a lot of stories around here when trying to hit the top speed and so I never attempt it nor do I ever try to push through the push back. I think the top speed recorded in my app is around 18-19mph and I’m sure it was downhill at some point. But I’m very happy staying under 16mph.

Anyways I was just casually riding to my mailbox which I do on the one whee daily. I was on the road accelerating and was at around 14-16 mph in a straight line and the front of the board just dropped during acceleration and was able to run it out for 2 steps before I came crashing down. I was in complete shock that the board just dumped me forward and my first thought was to go and check if the board shut down. Painfully got up and checked and the blue light was on. So I was accelerating on a level street and the front dropped me at around 15 or so mph. I had scrapes across my knee, stomach area and my arm. But the impact of my elbow to the road cause me to fracture my humerus bone right in my shoulder socket and not sure how bad my muscle is there but I am unable to lift my right arm or use it in any way that requires strength. Doctor says it will probably take about 6 weeks to heal.

I’m not blaming the one wheel here, but I’ve been riding it long enough in various terrains to know what I’m doing. I’m also not pushing the limits. I think it happened in a quick transition between accelerating at a quick pace and then going neutral. There could have been slippage on the road or something. Without data, it’s just hard to know what happened. I’m still riding the one wheel even with the injury, but I’m keeping he speeds to 5-10mph on the street until I can gain trust again (and heal obviously). But I do think there must be certain scenarios that can cause the front to drop too quickly in an unexpected way. Just the nature of trusting software to always keep you balanced in a single wheel. I think my lesson is to take it easy on acceleration and make sure my body weight is always leaning back instead of being so neutral, especially at higher speeds.

I feel you for sure. These onewheels have a nasty habit of dumping their rider. I’ve got permanent damage. Hope you heal up fully.

• @radiantm3 I broke my right humerus near the humeral head falling off my OneWheel+ onto asphalt around 29 June 2017. How are you doing?

• From what I have read, there are a lot of older riders (over 40) playing on the OW's and fractures and abrasions are common. Plus being older, the healing time is longer.

That being said, looks like elbows, shoulders and collar-bones are the most susceptible. Also wrist joints, hips then knees. Last but not least comes head injuries but I find them to be quite rare (maybe because the first thing we think about is wearing the helmet).

For me, my priority protection is:

1. Hands (to avoid abrasions)
    2. Lead elbow
    3. Head

What are you riders doing to avoid injuries from the inevitable ND to come?

After over 500 km, I hardly step off at all and almost always land on my feet. I now tend not to go faster than I can jog or run and I think that has to be the biggest reason besides general competence on the OW.

• @gadgetrider
    I wear full protection (knees elbows wrists and head) for my trail rides where I'm trying to push my limits and usually am going faster than I can run out. I've had a few high speed wipeouts where I totally eat it and then just get up unscathed and jump back on thanks to the pads. Totally worth it in my experience.
    For a casual Chipotle run, I still wear the wrists and helmet.

• I came off the board on a dirt trail last week during a lunch break ride, my wrist guards saved me. My knees were OK too, but not my leg below the knee pad. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to go back to work had I not been wearing protective gear. https://youtu.be/p6EOca0eEHE

• @radiantm3 said in Do not ride at high speed!:

I’ve also read a lot of stories around here when trying to hit the top speed and so I never attempt it nor do I ever try to push through the push back. I think the top speed recorded in my app is around 18-19mph and I’m sure it was downhill at some point. But I’m very happy staying under 16mph.

Might be different for my board, tire pressure, weight, etc... but I get push back on my OW+ between 13.8-14.5 mph... consistently. Above 15 mph, I'm fighting pushback.

• @skyman88

Happy <16mph. Helmet, wrists, elbows and knee pads. 3 'big' falls on grass when first got it. None in 150 miles.

62 years old.

IMHO this is the wrong vehicle for high speed.

• This post is deleted!

• @cascadewheeler
    I wish I had read this post prior to starting out on mine. I had the same thing happen on mission mode. No bumps and I didn't push through. It just nose dived and I went flying. 3rd degree ac separation. I have put 200 miles on it since slow cruising never more than 15. I love it, but really agree that they should fix this. The motor just stops when getting a certain amount of amps to it. I wish it would have the same response as when it runs out of battery with slowdown and mandatory push back.

• @cameroni79 !
    Chilling to hear all of these similar stories.
    My AC separation has literally wrecked my life. I am functional but in pain every day.
    I am a blue belt in jiu-jitsu but have had to completely give it up. I can't even do a push up. Really sucks. Not to mention how disgusting my shoulder looks with my collar bone sticking out.

• Could you rewrite what happend to you? Maybe this could prevent another accident to someone else?

@kitedoc said in Do not ride at high speed!:

@cascadewheeler
    I wish I had read this post prior to starting out on mine. I had the same thing happen on mission mode. No bumps and I didn't push through. It just nose dived and I went flying. 3rd degree ac separation. I have put 200 miles on it since slow cruising never more than 15. I love it, but really agree that they should fix this. The motor just stops when getting a certain amount of amps to it. I wish it would have the same response as when it runs out of battery with slowdown and mandatory push back.

• @owpete I think the problem is with Mission mode. I can actually reproduce it. In regards to my injury, if I had known this was a problem I would have been ready for it and could have possibly run it out or at least rolled more. If I had not had a helmet on, I probably would have been knocked out because my head slammed the pavement. I applaud Future motion for pushing the helmet wearing but I really think they need to fix the nose-dive issue. Many more people will be injured until they do.

• About what Problem in Mission are you concrete talking. Could you clarifie this. Could prevent a lot of more accidents. How can you reproduce the senario you are talking about? Can I also train this behaviour?
    Many thanks already now.

@kitedoc said in Do not ride at high speed!:

@owpete I think the problem is with Mission mode. I can actually reproduce it. In regards to my injury, if I had known this was a problem I would have been ready for it and could have possibly run it out or at least rolled more. If I had not had a helmet on, I probably would have been knocked out because my head slammed the pavement. I applaud Future motion for pushing the helmet wearing but I really think they need to fix the nose-dive issue. Many more people will be injured until they do.

• @owpete When in Mission mode and going about 10 mph, if I accelerate significantly, the board will nose dive. I have video'd it. If I am doing this on purpose for the purposes of reproducing it, I can easily run it out. Now that I know how this occurs, I avoid ever over accelerating, and avoid mission mode for that matter. It is simply a matter of the motor being overloaded. It needs a safety mechanism that forces a mandatory push back instead of allowing it to power completely off and nose dive. I am a gynecologist not an engineer, so I don't know how to explain it more technically than that. Do you work for Future Motion?

• Hi Kitedoc,
    no, I am not from FM, I was just interested how to avoid nosedives. Is it possible to share the Clip of you doing this phenomen?
    I bought today a heavy armor protection from MX Sports. Hopefully I will never Need it...