Do not ride at high speed!

• @radiantm3 said in Do not ride at high speed!:

I’ve also read a lot of stories around here when trying to hit the top speed and so I never attempt it nor do I ever try to push through the push back. I think the top speed recorded in my app is around 18-19mph and I’m sure it was downhill at some point. But I’m very happy staying under 16mph.

Might be different for my board, tire pressure, weight, etc... but I get push back on my OW+ between 13.8-14.5 mph... consistently. Above 15 mph, I'm fighting pushback.

• @skyman88

Happy <16mph. Helmet, wrists, elbows and knee pads. 3 'big' falls on grass when first got it. None in 150 miles.

62 years old.

IMHO this is the wrong vehicle for high speed.

• This post is deleted!

• @cascadewheeler
    I wish I had read this post prior to starting out on mine. I had the same thing happen on mission mode. No bumps and I didn't push through. It just nose dived and I went flying. 3rd degree ac separation. I have put 200 miles on it since slow cruising never more than 15. I love it, but really agree that they should fix this. The motor just stops when getting a certain amount of amps to it. I wish it would have the same response as when it runs out of battery with slowdown and mandatory push back.

• @cameroni79 !
    Chilling to hear all of these similar stories.
    My AC separation has literally wrecked my life. I am functional but in pain every day.
    I am a blue belt in jiu-jitsu but have had to completely give it up. I can't even do a push up. Really sucks. Not to mention how disgusting my shoulder looks with my collar bone sticking out.

• Could you rewrite what happend to you? Maybe this could prevent another accident to someone else?

@kitedoc said in Do not ride at high speed!:

@cascadewheeler
    I wish I had read this post prior to starting out on mine. I had the same thing happen on mission mode. No bumps and I didn't push through. It just nose dived and I went flying. 3rd degree ac separation. I have put 200 miles on it since slow cruising never more than 15. I love it, but really agree that they should fix this. The motor just stops when getting a certain amount of amps to it. I wish it would have the same response as when it runs out of battery with slowdown and mandatory push back.

• @owpete I think the problem is with Mission mode. I can actually reproduce it. In regards to my injury, if I had known this was a problem I would have been ready for it and could have possibly run it out or at least rolled more. If I had not had a helmet on, I probably would have been knocked out because my head slammed the pavement. I applaud Future motion for pushing the helmet wearing but I really think they need to fix the nose-dive issue. Many more people will be injured until they do.

• About what Problem in Mission are you concrete talking. Could you clarifie this. Could prevent a lot of more accidents. How can you reproduce the senario you are talking about? Can I also train this behaviour?
    Many thanks already now.

@kitedoc said in Do not ride at high speed!:

@owpete I think the problem is with Mission mode. I can actually reproduce it. In regards to my injury, if I had known this was a problem I would have been ready for it and could have possibly run it out or at least rolled more. If I had not had a helmet on, I probably would have been knocked out because my head slammed the pavement. I applaud Future motion for pushing the helmet wearing but I really think they need to fix the nose-dive issue. Many more people will be injured until they do.

• @owpete When in Mission mode and going about 10 mph, if I accelerate significantly, the board will nose dive. I have video'd it. If I am doing this on purpose for the purposes of reproducing it, I can easily run it out. Now that I know how this occurs, I avoid ever over accelerating, and avoid mission mode for that matter. It is simply a matter of the motor being overloaded. It needs a safety mechanism that forces a mandatory push back instead of allowing it to power completely off and nose dive. I am a gynecologist not an engineer, so I don't know how to explain it more technically than that. Do you work for Future Motion?

• Hi Kitedoc,
    no, I am not from FM, I was just interested how to avoid nosedives. Is it possible to share the Clip of you doing this phenomen?
    I bought today a heavy armor protection from MX Sports. Hopefully I will never Need it...

• @owpete I prefer not to post that for now. Just be careful and heed the warnings above and I don't think you will need all the battle armor. :)

• @bmtka Well said!!! They should put this clip in the owners manual!!!!

• I get my wheel this week. How much would something like this help? (glider wheels) http://www.synergywiz.com/glider. Is there any down side to something like that on the board?

FM could have their own version of that with a sensor/software mod to "unlock" emergency room mode.

• @maxpower I'm afraid it wouldn't help much. And that is, if it was at the front of the board: it's designed to be at the back (although it might still fit).

• @kitedoc man I am really sorry to hear that. I was just on a bicycle ride last weekend. While stretching and chatting one of my friends asked “what the hell is going on with your shoulder?” I had to explain the situation again. Don’t you love how shitty design can alter your life forever?

• @cameroni79

There are a lot of people here who would disagree that the onewheel is a shitty design.
    I have a buddy who separated his shoulder on my one wheel. Small world heh... he doesn't blame me or the board. He was simply pushing to hard for his limited experience on the board and got bit. I feel bad for both of you, but I still love cruising around on my shitty onewheel.

• @cascadewheeler sorry, but the motor is under powered for the design. Maybe for the advertised weight limit/max speed. If you look at other self balancers they put the riders weight on the axle of the wheel. The onewheel put the weight fore and aft of the axle. That means the motor has to work especially hard for the same result. I’m not in the least arguing that it isn’t a cool concept, but the fact is it drops the nose like a hot rock the moment the motor is overloaded. Overloading the motor is far too easy due to the fact that it’s only an 850w.

• @cameroni79
    A safer design would be a 1500w motor that could technically do 30 mph, but keeps you under 20 mph with hard pushback. Then it would always have plenty of power to prevent a nosedive. I think FM made the motor as powerful as they could given the constraints of size, weight, and cost. With the current motor, they do have a safe mode btw, it's called Sequoia, but if they advertised it as a 12 mph board, it wouldn't sell. They don't communicate effectively how easy it is to nosedive at higher speeds, and they should. Like, the board should ship in Sequoia mode, and you have to click through a tutorial and disclaimer before you can switch modes for the first time.

• Why is sequoia a safe mode? Is there no nosedive possible?

• Sequoia is way too slow, I think it's unsafe for adults. It's not just the speed but the torque is reduced. Sequoia should only be used for kids and very small and beginner adults.