Do not ride at high speed!

• @causticgrip
    Slowly learning the boards capabilities is the best way to stay safe.

Folks disagree... but from the crew of like 20 people that rotate through our weekend rides, only two have had true board issues... the rest have been user. People don't like that answer but it's a balance board with a motor.... without knowing the limits, it's easy to exceed them. Board can only do so much.

So if you keep to under pushback while you learn, and then knowingly and purposely push through pushback, if you so choose, you'll have made a conscious decision to do so... Speed up inclines, over regen shut offs, over acceleration, etc... are all things you learn as you go unfortunately.

Fangs can help flat ground over accels and attempting to go up inclines at too great of a speed... The alternative is to slow and grow you skills and speed.

• Thanks for the responses...I’m an avid motorcyclist and understand th concept of respecting the machine during the learning curve.

What I’m stunned about here though is no one from FM is coming in to this conv to lend input and investigate this issue. That’s highly concerning to me....

• @causticgrip Yep, I ride motorcycles and I snowboard, so it helps to understand the risk reward of such sports. As for @Future-Motion ever chiming in on these boards, don't hold your breath. I've mentioned their ID many times and don't think I've ever seen a response.

• @OneDan that’s kind of concerning, considering this is their forum.

Shows a lack of interest in their own community and any care for their own consumers and enthusiasts...

That’s bad JuJu, imo.

• @causticgrip
    Typically they only post for news and announcements. I'm guessing they don't staff to support the OW forum... Facebook groups are extremely active as is Reddit for OW stuff.

• @skyman88 Can you fill me in on regen shut-offs? First I've heard of that one.
    Thanks

• @scrapdo Battery regen-recharges when braking downhill (and it's ALWAYS braking somewhat, unless you are going full tilt straight downhill like a madman).

BUT, battery can't be charged past 100% - that'd wreck the battery. So, if battery is at 100% and you try to go downhill, board won't - it shuts off, to protect the battery. You need to go uphill a bit and drain the battery down a little first.

• @Glyph that’s a serious design flaw. And a dangerous one. If that is really present it needs to be eliminated. Regenerative breaking should not be shutting off the motor once 100% is achieved. It should have some algrythm to simply stop any additional charge to be applied until 2% is lost.

• @causticgrip You'd think. I'm not sure why that's not the way it works. The board's external charger is smart enough to "know" once the battery's full (the LED turns green) so it doesn't seem like that big of a technical challenge to me, but what do I know? I live somewhere pretty flat, so it's never an issue for me.

• @Glyph @causticgrip The onewheel doesn't have normal brakes, so it has to use regenerative braking. When it does that, it has to store the power somewhere. If it doesn't it could overheat. This means you either just have to not be at 100% when going down a hill, or your board overheats and shuts off anyway. Either way the board would shutoff eventually.

The difference between the charger and regenerative braking is the charger just stops producing power. Whereas the regenerative braking continues to generate power because the rider decides to keep going down a hill.

• @scrapdo
    See other comments... it's also in the manual.

If you haven't read the following... it's worth your time: https://onewheel.wiki/Riding_technique

• There are some eskates that have load resistors so the excess regen power can be sent to the resistors when the battery is full.

I live with a downhill start on my daily commute so never charge above 98% to avoid it. Its really not a big deal once you read the manual to understand the limits and warnings from FM.

For me load resistors would just add weight and complexity to protect for a scenario which only occurs for a very short duration of any ride. I like FM's approach to keep it simple.

• @stinkyface If they don't add a LOT of weight, it could be worth it. The board's already damn near thirty pounds. But if it's any more than a few ounces, or if there is no place to put them, or if adding them makes the board's systems much more complex and prone to issues, I agree with you, not worth it (to me, a guy who lives in a flat city).

• 54 y/o, 6', 190 lbs, in good shape, have about 10 hours on the board over 7 days, and skated a lot . . . 40 years ago. I've been taking my hard knocks on a community softball field, and have total respect for this board.

I have a full face helmet, padded shoulder football tee shirt, and padded elbow/forearm knee/shin guards on the way.

I was a profession firefighter/paramedic 25 years ago. The Cliff Notes of my experience is the following:

Moving Human Being vs. Stationary Object = Human Being Loses Every Single Time

How fast you're moving, along with how unprotected you are, only determines how bad you're going to lose.

There is NO WAY I'm hitting the streets until the rest of my gear is here, and my calf muscles are fully retrained and have the stamina for board sports.

I'm not somebody's mom, but how some of the adult males I've been seeing vids of, blasting down a paved road in shorts and a tee, with only a ball cap, with a selfie stick in one hand and looking at their phone with the other - I just don't get it.

I was up, stable, and running at 15 mph within 15 minutes on grass, but could just tell there were so many nuances with the board that would need to be learned, that I needed to just slow the F down and stay on grass.

I'm not scared of getting hurt, I'm scared of getting hurt and not being able to ride this thing. It is as life changing as I suspected when I first saw it.

If you're new to this thing, as I am, get some gear, keep it slow, and stay on grass - the glory days can wait. The saddest things I've been reading on these sites are about people taking themselves out of the game.

At this point, I'm not willing to blame the board for anything - the thing is so finely tuned that it responds to your mere thought. When I've eaten it, my head was usually wondering.

. . . just my two cents, I love this little thing.

• Yeah, sending people to the hospital so the board doesn’t break makes perfect sense. I hope they fix this nose dive problem. It’s a problem as so many people know and why hasn’t it been fixed yet. Maybe another company can take this experience one more step and get rid of nose dives.

• @kd6tav

Until physics go away, nose dives will remain. On a single wheel device, a human can always over power the limits of the motor.

The key is to go slow, learn the board and then push the speed/aggressiveness in time... lots of reading material around on this forum & Facebook and some great YouTube videos out there.

• @skyman88 said in Do not ride at high speed!:

On a single wheel device, a human can always over power the limits of the motor.

That. Not sure how folks don't understand yet that there isn't a way to prevent nose-dives or limit the speed on this board. It's entire goal is to keep the rider upright -- if it slows down, it can't keep him upright and he will bail. Pushback is only there to try and give a head's up that the board is close to reaching a limit where it can't do its one-and-only job, but even then it's subtle because during that pushback it still has to work on keeping the rider upright. That's why the rider can push through -- no matter what, if that board detects you're offbalance (leaning forward more), it's going to try and correct by adding speed -- it has to, or the rider plows.

I've fallen off this thing at 15mph, and it hurt like hell. Now I don't go much faster than I can run :P Anyone who pushes at 20mph+, well, hats off to you, and keep your armor on ;)

(apologies if all this has been said before, but it's a long zombie thread, so, yeah) :)

• If you have a nose dive, you didn’t do it right. If your skateboard shoots out from under you, you didn’t do it right. If you catch your heel side edge on a snowboard and get shit-whipped to your dome, you didn’t do it right. It’s that simple. The only way to fix the “nosedive problem” would be to have an infinitely powerful motor. But that would result in infinite speed. You people bitchin about safety are gonna ruin it for everyone else. If you can’t take a slam, play video games.