Do not ride at high speed!

• @celebro wrong attitude. I ride all sorts of vehicles. They advertise the abilities of the board. It doesn’t deliver. The motor is too weak for what they’re trying to do. If they advertised a 15 mph board no one would be complaining.

• @cameroni79 OW for sure can hit 20mph and then some. Rider weight, skill level, terrain and other factors have a lot to do with whether that ends up good or in a nosedive. I don't understand guys just jumping on a onewheel for the first time and slamming on it to see how fast they can go, that's asking for trouble. As long as a rider masters the basics and eases into higher speeds, each person can figure out what their own personal limits are.

• @cameroni79 said in Do not ride at high speed!:

@celebro wrong attitude. I ride all sorts of vehicles. They advertise the abilities of the board. It doesn’t deliver. The motor is too weak for what they’re trying to do. If they advertised a 15 mph board no one would be complaining.

Dude I am 6'4" 240 lbs on a good day...it hauls me around fine on and off road. Give it a rest. Your attitude is what is wrong with the world today. We are turning into a bunch of people that rely solely on others to take care of them. Its dangerous to ride...most fun things are.

• @cascadewheeler I’m 6’2” 205 pounds and an athlete. The wheel isn’t safe under advertised numbers. It flat out isn’t. It’s a fifteen mph board.

• Its the old "speeds up to 20mph" thing. I have only had mine up to 18.5...plenty fast for me. Felt sketchy...I am old and dont like to crash anymore! So I just cruise!

Proof it will haul a monster around... https://youtu.be/vkUWgCCJL2s

• 0_1512401038251_FB_IMG_1512401028192.jpg

Join the club. Happened to me yesterday. 20+ mph in delirium mode. Cruising along and the board just shut off and sent me flying.

• I joined the club yesterday as well, see my post here: http://community.onewheel.com/topic/7477/customizable-top-speed-warning-please

• @cascadewheeler - Nice riding.

It has become clear to me after reading threads like this that people who weigh maybe 150lbs and higher should not flirt with 20mph.

• OW is not dangerous the way other board sports are. E.g. a snowboard will punish you when you push your own ability too far but for most people the board is far more capable than the rider: it's your fault if you fall. OW, however, is far less capable than the rider. If there was a skateboard with wheels that suddenly lock up if you put too much weight on them, or a snowboard with an edge that somehow retracts when you carve too hard, we'd have a fair comparison. A "safe" board is one that lets you push your limits without worrying about the limits of the board.

I just got back from a sweet trail ride where I took some falls that were definitely my fault, just couldn't stay balanced going over some roots. No complaints, my skills will improve, and didn't make me distrust the board. Took a couple nosedives though that were, as always, out of nowhere, when I wasn't pushing my limits. I do keep my feet centered for maneuverability, but I guess I need to bring the front foot back a bit.

• @ogtalbot

Hopefully you heal up quickly. Looks like it might just be a little road rash, anything broken?

I have wrist guards and a helmet on at all times if going more than 5 mph (exception is from car to office at 6am). Have any gear on when you went down?

• @skyman88 nothing broken, although I very well could have. I'll know next time not to break any records. I had nothing protective on. T shirt, shorts shoes, and a bag of drinks in one hand. They comically went sailing.

• @Cameroni79 The same thing happened to me. No pushback. No warning. It just shut off. Wishing you the best!

• @Zilen
    Questions for you:

1. How fast were you going?
    2. How many miles do you have on a OW?
    3. Was your board physically powered off after you fall, meaning the blue light was off?

• @sonny123 there’s nothing home made about the body protection. That’s all football and motorcycle armor and padding. Widely available.

• Here’s my Q. As a noob to this “sport”, this story is a bit unnerving for me...

Would fangs or some equivalent have prevented or have saved you at all? 😬

• @causticgrip As someone that's gone down at 3 mph and again at 21 mph, I can say that fangs "can" help. I have over 1600 miles on my + and XR combined. I have fangs on both. I will say that since my 21 mph, high speed, fall at around 600 miles on my +, I've kept my speed to a max of around 15 mph and am usually cruising at about 12 mph (I'm about 185 with 20 psi tire pressure and ride strictly in Delirium). I've never really been able to feel the push back, so I just don't trust the boards at much faster than that. I have been saved twice by the fangs: once while trying to accelerate too quickly trying to cross a street and once when going uphill at maybe 8-10 mph. Both times I know I would have gone off the front if not for the fangs, so I am a believer. Would they have helped in my 21 mph crash? I highly doubt it.

Anyway, just my 2 cents! As usual, YMMV. I can't see myself ever NOT riding a OW . . . it's just way too much fun! Minimally, I wear my MIPS helmet and wrist guards, but I add knee and elbow pads when pushing it or on more rugged terrain.

• @causticgrip
    Slowly learning the boards capabilities is the best way to stay safe.

Folks disagree... but from the crew of like 20 people that rotate through our weekend rides, only two have had true board issues... the rest have been user. People don't like that answer but it's a balance board with a motor.... without knowing the limits, it's easy to exceed them. Board can only do so much.

So if you keep to under pushback while you learn, and then knowingly and purposely push through pushback, if you so choose, you'll have made a conscious decision to do so... Speed up inclines, over regen shut offs, over acceleration, etc... are all things you learn as you go unfortunately.

Fangs can help flat ground over accels and attempting to go up inclines at too great of a speed... The alternative is to slow and grow you skills and speed.

• Thanks for the responses...I’m an avid motorcyclist and understand th concept of respecting the machine during the learning curve.

What I’m stunned about here though is no one from FM is coming in to this conv to lend input and investigate this issue. That’s highly concerning to me....

• @causticgrip Yep, I ride motorcycles and I snowboard, so it helps to understand the risk reward of such sports. As for @Future-Motion ever chiming in on these boards, don't hold your breath. I've mentioned their ID many times and don't think I've ever seen a response.

• @OneDan that’s kind of concerning, considering this is their forum.

Shows a lack of interest in their own community and any care for their own consumers and enthusiasts...

That’s bad JuJu, imo.