Best shape for the best terrain?

• I’m a noob, riding Onewheel for a week now own a boosted board for last 3 years which is now useless since I started riding the OW. I was riding at a park the other day all lawn with a small 30% grade grassy hill in front of me, was in delirium mode going about 12.5 mph and nose dived right at the beginning of the hill, Landed on my right side rib cage been in pain for the last four days. I don’t blame the board (wheel slip on grass may have contributed) but would like to know if being in “elevated” would’ve saved me or should I just slow down when coming to an incline and then gradually go up the hill rather than hard charge, been riding in delirium for every terrain but now feeling I should rethink that. What’s the best modes for different terrain any advice? I’ve read the descriptions of each mode but need some real use advice from you guys!

• Welcome aboard @jwheelin!

Hang in there! Here's a few tips that have helped me - I've only owned mine a few months, with almost 500 miles under my belt.

1. Put your front foot as close to the wheel as possible and put your back foot as far back as possible. This keeps your weight back, making it easier for the OneWheel to lift up your front end when necessary.
    2. Off-roading puts considerably more stress on the motor, meaning you can't go as quickly, and must act more gingerly around hills. (friction!) Think about how fast you can pedal a mountain bike on pavement vs. a grassy field.
    3. Understand what may stress your Onewheel motor, like hills, speed, or a combo of the two.
    4. Ride as if you will be pitched forward at any moment, so you'll be alert.
    5. If you do hit the ground, use your arms to encourage a roll, not to keep your chin, chest, etc. from making contact.
    6. Don't go faster than 15mph on the street - this is plenty fast for me, and has kept me upright so far. If this feels too slow, you might need more pads, and more practice.

Hope that helps. Report back!

• @wheelcity, thanks that’s good advice! You’re right though I need to understand the limits of this board. I need to understand the limits of the motor, what I can and cannot do rather than just make assumptions on the fly. I’ve tried elevated at a golf course and it seemed to work a lot better dealing with bumps and Little Hills keeping that nose up giving you a little bit more ground clearance and confidence but it lacked the torqued of delirium. I’ve reached 16.5mph but that now seems sketchy after my bail. Honestly this board is so much fun you don’t need to be hauling butt all the time and like I said in my original post my Boosted board is essentially useless my Boosted now feels like a huge desk with casters, completely immobile and clunky compared to OW. One question though what mode do you ride in mostly ?

• This is a great discussion. I'm new as well. About 2 weeks so far(50 miles). Mostly street and some grass. I find myself cycling through all the modes just to make myself better by having the board react differently. I like mission best for carving/cruising the streets. Elevated if going up steep hills and delerium for most off road. I have found delerium to be the most stable mode for friends to learn on regardless of terrain. My max speed is 15.5 a few times and I start to get pushback and don't want to risk a nose dive. I'm too old for that, although I do wear full pads, most of the time.

• @sage954, I need to start playing with the modes more as you do. At first I just thought the mode names where just creative descriptions for beginner, intermediate, and pro kinda like an eboard. I now realize how important it is to switch to different modes for better performance on certain terrains. Curious if you can switch modes on the fly, I guess I’ll wait until I’m all healed up before I start experimenting with this. My biggest issue is learning to just trust the board, it’s not as forgiving as a skateboard.

• As far as modes, I just leave it in Delirium. It's the fastest, zippiest, "Traction-control-off" mode. Best to try all the modes for yourself and see which you bond with.

Heres's a great in-depth explanation of all the modes, with some riding tips as well:
    https://onewheel.wiki/Riding_technique

• @wheelcity, Thank you, there’s some great riding advice in there, just what I needed!