Won't charge. Won't power up. Flashing...

• @skyman88 said in Won't charge. Won't power up. Flashing...:

@cactvs

Time to call Future Motion

Yeah man. If your cells are reading 0.0 the BatteryManagementSystem is probably fried.

• Sooooo... after many plugging and unpluggings, it finally turned on and read 100% charged. I went and rode 'til it wouldn't go another inch. Charged back up in 30 minutes and seems completely healthy now. I am happy but my trust is a little shaken... thanks for all the suggestions, people!

• @mtruby82 I did that and got my board screwed twice. Had to send it back to FM which they took care of pretty efficiently. They recommended me to plug the charger forst to the wall and then to the board. By doing so there is an ARC noise that comes up (spark noise) but they said it was normal. Ever since I plug it this way I have nkt had that problem again. Logic will tell you to do otherwose but... this is what was told to me by FM

• @iggi Weird. When I plug mine into the wall first, my board turns on a lot of the time and won't charge until I push the power button. A lot of people say this happens too. I've been using the "board first, then Wall outlet" method for a while and haven't had a problem.

• @iggi As an electrical engineer, I too try to avoid causing conditions where arcing occurs. This is normally created when there is a low impedance and the initial inrush current when plugging in is high. Sparks and surges are typically not good for sensitive electronics (especially CMOS parts). So that is why I tend to plug in to the board first, then the wall.

However, if the charging cycle does not initiate as some of you have been experiencing, it could be that the BMS is expecting a sharp transition from open circuit with no driving voltage to closed circuit with charging voltage present in order to trigger properly. If I see this problem with my boards, I will certainly try this plug in sequence.

• @gadgetrider Yes, I too plug in the board first then the charge to the wall. I started doing this after my very first charge when I saw and heard the shock. 4 months and 640 miles later, no issues.

• @mtruby82 but FM recommends to connect the charger first to the wall and then to the board...

• Agree with gadgetrider. FM saying otherwise flies in the face of all conventional wisdom. Press power button if light stays green

• @redboyjan between the charger and the BMS, there is quite a bit of control that goes into the electrical current. Conventionally speaking, yes, he is likely right. In this specific case? I'm not certain. He may be an engineer, but pretty sure FM has their own engineers. They made a point to mention an order to which you plug your board in, I don't think that was happenstance. If you could plug it in any old way there wouldn't be specific instructions.

• Same thing started happening to my OW+ board. Tried all these methods, still doesn't stay on.

What gets me the worst about this is OW technical support. I sent this info and logged a ticket, and it has been over 5 days with no reply or anything, other than being in the "processing state". For what we pay, and I've paid plenty - bought all boards, gifted OW boards, brought in plenty of business to FM, I would of expected faster service. Anyhow, sorry for using this as a pedestal for my rant, hopefully you got your board fixed by now.

• @mtruby82 This actually worked for me. Thanks!

• @kwatts That’s one of the problems when a company has a monopoly. I’m on day 29 since I opened my support ticket. I’ve also called them 3 times to get the ball rolling on my warranty repair.

• @Rado I’m as frustrated as everyone else about this issue and I hope it gets resolved. But FM is not a monopoly, they were the first and they are still the best in this weird platypus of a niche market, but there are about a dozen cheaper knock-offs on Amazon “competing” with FM for the one-wheeled board market—they are just crap in comparison.
    The issue with FM is that they appear to be struggling to scale with their new-found popularity. They seem to have figured out how to scale production, they are no longer “building to order” but instead shipping right away which is GREAT. Now they need to scale support. It seems like there is quite literally one guy, sitting at a desk in California, answering a phone and responding to email, it’s not that one guy’s fault for getting overwhelmed. That doesn’t scale for a brand that is gaining popularity world-wide, especially when there is an apparent wide-spread issue like this.
    We paid a premium for these boards, so we are well within our right to expect solid customer service. We need to do what we can to make FM aware of the issue and how wide-spread it appears to be. And hope that they do right by us and scale their support to tend to our needs. As a relatively young brand, I don’t think they’ve given us a reason not to trust that they will do right by us, but this can also be seen as their first test.
    We shall see, but I for one am still hopeful.