Quick Poll: Unexpected Nosedives

• Hey guys, I cycle to work most days with my little dog in the basket and take the NYC subway when it's really wet. But since I tried a friend's electric skateboard of the holiday I've been on the look out for an electric commuter. I'm down on preorder for the XR as the range made it a feasible (12 mile round commute). I chose a OW over electric skateboard as I don't want to worry about bumps and weirdness in the road surface kicking me off. I'll still be carrying my 8lb dog on busy NYC streets and with that precious cargo, riding safely is the most important thing to me.

Then I started reading about unexpected nosedives and they have got me feeling uneasy about the OW as my commuting solution.

I've skated for years, ride a fixed gear bike almost every day so I know that if you push what these machines and your confidence is capable of too soon they can make you pay. I know a lot of nosedives are caused by user error, but I've seen a few reports of them happening without any warning. I know accidents can happen on anything that moves fast, but at least with an electric skateboard, if it cuts out it's easier to recover. So I'd love to get a feel for how often this sort of thing happens - have created a quick poll HERE

Would appreciate any feedback!

Cheers

Roo

• @roowilliams

Learn and respect the boards ability prior to trying to commute. Pushback is the boards only warning that you’ve reach the peak speed it can safely keep you balanced. So if you keep the board under the 14-15 mph range, you should be good.

I’ve riden in Boston on all the city terrain (old cobblestone, brick, manhole covers, etc...) and the board just eats it up.

Also, the OW requires you to be engaged. Forget the marketing videos of people texting and eating a snack. It’s definitely in your best interest to pay full attention to the ride. My 17 mph nose dive was caused by a divet in the road that I did not see because I was looking at my Apple Watch to change songs on my BT speaker. I wasn’t ready when the board got unsettled and I ended up putting way too much weight on the front end while trying to get my balance back. Pay attention and enjoy the ride. There’s nothing like it.

If you haven’t already, read all of this: https://onewheel.wiki/Riding_technique

• @skyman88 thanks for the reply! I hadn’t seen the wiki so will have a good trawl through. Cheers.

@skyman88 said in Quick Poll: Unexpected Nosedives:

@roowilliams

Learn and respect the boards ability prior to trying to commute. Pushback is the boards only warning that you’ve reach the peak speed it can safely keep you balanced. So if you keep the board under the 14-15 mph range, you should be good.

I’ve riden in Boston on all the city terrain (old cobblestone, brick, manhole covers, etc...) and the board just eats it up.

Also, the OW requires you to be engaged. Forget the marketing videos of people texting and eating a snack. It’s definitely in your best interest to pay full attention to the ride. My 17 mph nose dive was caused by a divet in the road that I did not see because I was looking at my Apple Watch to change songs on my BT speaker. I wasn’t ready when the board got unsettled and I ended up putting way too much weight on the front end while trying to get my balance back. Pay attention and enjoy the ride. There’s nothing like it.

If you haven’t already, read all of this: https://onewheel.wiki/Riding_technique

• I’d say ride (learn) 100miles on the OW before deciding whether you can commute carrying the dog.

I think it is certainly possible.

(Disclosure: I have only 128mi under my belt)

• I personally waited 200km (130miles?) before I dared transporting my laptop in my backpack. I now have close to 4 times that under my belt, but i'm still extra careful when i'm carrying something fragile: take it easy, keep it simple, enjoy the ride...
    When i start getting too playful, falling (and rolling on my back) does (rightfully) happen. It wouldn't be fun if you got all the tricks on the first try. ^^

For the record, i've never experienced any high-speed nosedive (my top speed is a safe 17mph). Since I'm experienced enough to understand what happens when I fall, I haven't had any unexplained nosedives of other sorts (i did have some).
    At first, I would crash and my mind would kind of blink and get back to consciousness when i'm on the ground; It would all happen in an instant and leave me with very few clues. As i got better, time started to slow down and my mind was better able to understand and react to a fall situation; Also, my reflexes got better, so my body starts reacting early, moving back the moment i fall and giving my brain more time to process and react.
    Anyway, my point is: nowadays when i fall, i always understand ultimately why. Even when i fall because of the board, it's because i hit a limit i knew about and should have avoided. For example, I fell on a tail-slide over-regeneration some days ago and the alarm started ringing when my ass was on the ground (perhaps there was a Bluetooth hick-up?). Still, totally my fault: new place, jumping fast down a steep hill with a full battery and braking hard when it gets steeper... Duh. What was I thinking? (I live on a hill, i battle with over regeneration everyday).

• So far your poll is:

• Yes: 9% (6)
    • No: 91% (59)

If there is any bias in this poll, it's probably people blaming the board wrongly. I suspect careful examination of these 6 cases would prove some of them at least are user error.

• I wasn't done with unexpected nosedives on my strong side (riding regular) until I had clocked >400 miles total. They were all my fault, even though each time I wanted to initially believe the board had malfunctioned. With experience I learned better.

Now, knock-on-wood, it's been >800 miles since my last nosedive. Heed the warnings of others and take it serious, keep it 15mph max, but you don't need to ride paranoid and like squeeze the fun out of it. It's a very safe commuter machine if you pay attention and wear proper pads, signal properly in traffic, etc.

• tldr; >600 miles, no unexpected nose dives. If you're dog is cool with it, get it.

I clocked ~600 miles before winter set in and had exactly 1 nosedive. It was entirely my fault. Tried to accelerate reallly hard through a crosswalk going up hill. Float plates saved my hide since it let the board skid for a bit rather than just biting concrete. Ran it out, lived to ride another day.

Best pieces of advice I have:

• Let the board do the acceleration for you as much as possible.
      It's a pretty mighty board, but doesn't like jumping from 5 to 15 at an instant. Trying to do that just means you're gonna jam down on the front increasing your chance of eating gravel.

• If you're going to ride hard, ride engaged.
      There's absolutely nothing wrong with cruising up West End at 2am with some fries in your hands and a good feeling in your head, but if you're going to bomb down 7th, you don't get to ease up.

• Fenders and Float Plates
      You'll want these: http://thefloat.life/

• Check with you dog
      Not all pups like the boards and some are down right mean about it if they're not out right scared. Some people are down for dogs on leashes while they ride bikes and boards...Not sure I'm one of them. I'd hate for my boy to suddenly careen into me :-/

• Learn to ride good
      A list I made of stuff to work on: http://community.onewheel.com/topic/7290/nyc-riders-help-out-a-total-newbie/4
      Practice practice practice and it'll become 2nd nature. NYC has a pretty decent community and everyone's been friendly that I've met. They're usually down to ride with new people. Get on some of the FB groups, etc...I'm in the UWS and it's a pretty decent area to tool around in.

• @firephreek It's interesting that you call out the float plates as giving you just enough "slide" to let you run a nosedive out. I've been holding off on getting some because I don't really do tricks, but if they can occasionally function as "safety enhancers" under some conditions then they're worth it in any case. Think I will order some now.

To the OP - I don't know that I personally would try to carry a dog far, or frequently, or through rough terrain or heavy traffic on a board. If I were going to, I'd want some kind of hands-free dog-carry rig to do it (you may occasionally need to throw your arms out for balance, something you don't do on a bike) and ideally, it'd be something rigid (a "rollcage" of some kind) so that if I did take a bad spill, the dog is pretty protected.

• @glyph

If you do any trail or off road riding the Float Plates are worth it. It’s kike a screen protector on your phone... mine saved my battery box from exploding a few different times. And I let a reckless friend try my board this weekend, would have been completely busted up without the plates protecting the aluminum when he went tumbling a few times.

• I've had one nose dive and it happened while I was pushing the board a hard as I could while holding a cocktail. Pretty sure it wasn't my fault.

• I currently own a Boosted Board V2 and an OneWheel+ so.. If your commute is 5+ miles everyday then I wouldn't get a OneWheel but anything under that and I would 100% get a OneWheel. Ive took 3 nosedives in the past each each on the Orginal OneWheel, but have yet nosedived on the OneWheel+. Also it depends on your street quality because if you have a ton of bumps and cracks all over then the OneWheel is the way to go.

• @skyman88 Because of where I live I'm mostly pavement riding, but I've had two serious spills, so the additional protection for the board is probably a good idea no matter what.

• @glyph If I had the plates on when I had my bad nose dive, my board wouldn't have lost so much aluminum. For $45 it's probably worth just reducing the risk of damage to the rails and control/battery boxes. And @jeffmccosker is a good dude to deal with.

• @skyman88 WIse words indeed.

• @readysetawesome said in Quick Poll: Unexpected Nosedives:

attention

I logged on specifically to ask basically this same question about board fails. This topic​ is so touchy I don't know if I could correctly word the question. I have nosedived and I can always surmise the scenario bu, after 600mi, I cannot say the board ever straight cut out on flat street cruising. The more I read the less I am confident in the hardware, software and hard work of all working to prevent that from happening. If I were an offline rider, my confidence would be stronger.
    I realize I'm asking for it here but I must..
    Who has had a spill on flat ground at cruising speed that was certainly machine error in their EXPERIENCED opinion?

• @kbman What is cruising speed? Before or after pushback?

• 200+ miles on mine. Two bad nosedives initially but pulled in the reigns and after 100 miles nothing then suddenly on a familiar nightly ride boom! Broken collar bone, had to have surgery, screws/metal. When spring rolls around I'll be looking like a football player on the thing. I had about 3 bad ones total, surely dead without a helmet. Pad up, no time to react. I believe the last was mechanical or something, just stopped dead on flat ground standing level, the others I was leaning too far forward and going uphill.

• @aspenlife My first (and only) bad one happened at 256 miles, broke my arm and now have a frozen shoulder I am in physical therapy for, they think six months to totally recup. Flat ground, no issues I can see there (I went back to look at the spot recently), battery at 40%. Like you, no time to react, just BANG down to the concrete on my bicep, all 180 pounds of me.

I THINK I may have overaccelerated from dead stop, but it's weird - I never have before, I'm not a particularly aggressive or "trick" rider, I just like riding around, heading to the pub, that sort of thing. Sidewalk surfing. It's possible I got cocky or careless, but I'm gonna have trouble trusting the board, and myself, for a while when I get back on.

What kind of safety gear are you planning on using when you get back on? I've even briefly considered things like motorcycle armor/jacket, but it's so hot where I live that I probably either wouldn't wear it, or wouldn't ride. I'd like something to protect shoulders/biceps that ISN'T football pads. I did get bicep pads, and I am thinking about those padded stretchy shirts used for contact sports.

• @readysetawesome YOU RIDE SWITCH ON THIS THING!?