New guy - questions about safety/equipment

• @joshb89 Those shorts wouldn't of helped me in my nosedive, the spot they are missing padding is right where I landed, lol.

• @ventoriffic I wear these, they are less bulky than the picture looks - I don't think they are really noticeable at all under my shorts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OYRNQI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• @glyph Those look awesome. Nothing some baggy shorts can't hide.

• @joseph I've slid on the elbow pads - for sure. I remember sliding on my knee pads at least once on asphalt. Ripped my jeans, put a little hole on the underside of the knee pad (I wear them inside out), but the pad itself stayed in place and was not damaged.

• All of this is great - but what about the left shoulder? Even with a pad you still get the impact, which is what did me in. Not sure what could possibly help that. All the other stuff works fine - knees, elbows, etc are tough with pads, but the shoulder and rib cage I can still feel aching a bit.

• @hoovdini As you know, my left/leading shoulder is still messed up. I need something for that.

I just ordered these, with the intent of making my own piece that will hopefully be easy/discreet to wear under my shirt.

I'm getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073CV1NKG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In that pocket where the icepack goes, I'm putting one of these (this stuff is amazing, soft until impacted at which point it turns rigid and absorbs the impact energy):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4FLEQF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm going to glue the neoprene around it to hold it in place, with this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MMI7X8/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I37N5C9DYW0MWA&colid=JS4LDHA57F4Z&psc=1

I will report back when I have messed with this a bit.

• @glyph I have some knee pads made of that material that is soft but turns hard... freaking awesome stuff! Super flexible and comfortable. Great impact resistance. Word to the wise... they don't slide!

• OK, I'm going to try a couple pics to show what I've got. Same materials as listed above, except that due to the size of the shoulder armor piece, I decided against epoxy glue, and just used strips of industrial velcro, which stick wonderfully to the neoprene. I really think the shoulder armor piece would stay in place just with the standard two velcro tabs on the pocket, but I didn't want to take any chances on it having shifted out of place unnoticed, just when you needed it most.

It's very comfortable, neoprene should breathe well enough for heat purposes, and I think it's low-profile enough to wear under the shirt - I just put it over, so y'all didn't have to see my manly chest hair.

0_1519239472468_Photo on 2-21-18 at 1.50 PM.jpg

0_1519239490749_Photo on 2-21-18 at 1.48 PM #2.jpg

• A closeup of the shoulder pad itself - might be able to make something better looking if you can sew, or want to color the armor piece black:

0_1519245182001_IMG_0738a.jpg

• I would definitely recommend Float Plates to protect the bottom of the board. If you do any tricks at all this isn't even a consideration. Even just riding off the curb...the bottom can slap. If you are doing slides etc ....It's a Necessity. They also with all the color choices can add flavor to the ride. Very affordable for the value it protects! http://thefloat.life/product-category/float-plates/

• Well after two weeks on the board and two crashes, I can say I was happy to have wrist guards and knee pads for both.

Both crashes were going over the front (I hesitate to call them nosedives, because I think they were operator error) while I was accelerating uphill. the board went over an undulation in the pavement, nose touched down and I went over the front.

both crashes I landed on my hands first, and banged a knee. no problem thanks to the protective equipment. plastic plates on the wrist guards got chewed up. I've done some rides without the wrist guards but I don't think I would ride without at least gloves on.

• @granite Oh yes, I also ride in a way dorky bright yellow cycling jacket when I'm in town. I live in Oakland, and do a lot of my riding on busy streets, it's nice to be visible. More afraid of cars than nosedive.

• @granite I smash down San Pablo Ave in Berkeley most days. I, like you am more afraid of cars than nosedives.

• Helmet, goggles (eye and wind protection), wrist guards and under 16mph. I stay away from traffic and treat intersections like a pedestrian and dismount.

If I wanted to try my luck with cars and get my adrenaline going I'd simply get a 200 hp motorcycle and go all in.

For now, I'll stay alive and away from ignorant texting drivers!

• @510-1-whl Nice! I'm mostly around the lake, I've seen a couple other one wheelers. Nice riding next to children's fairyland. Need to take it up to Redwood though!

cars are super scary though, people drive fast and loose around here.

• Got my plus in December
    It was wet and icy and i couldn’t wait to get going
    I literally got on the board and fell off

Apparently I broke my wrist which I didn’t find out for six weeks of misery

Also totally screwed up my ring finger (word to the wise never ever wear a wedding ring when you ride)

Anyway, as has been said on the forum a ton “respect the board and don’t get cocky”

I finally got some pads and a good helmet.... knee, elbow, wrist

Don’t be a dumbass get some protection

• Recent XR owner, have only put 11 miles on so far. Single father, with chores and work etc. Rather big guy maybe 260. POC Crane commuter helmet, triple 8 hired hands wrist guard/glove combo, gform knee/elbow pads, gform shorts. Been to the 16.4 mph range. Felt great. Still getting the hang for sure. Woke up muscles that have not been used in 30 years on skateboards. I'm 48 years old. Cheers.

• I had mine for 3 days and went over the front. I learned later that I was leaning forward too much and I overpowered the motor. Anyway, broken collarbone. That was three months ago and I'm all healed up. I'm sure those shoulder pads help, but you can still compress the collarbone and break it if you land on that left shoulder. I wear a helmet now and that's it. I ride a lot and haven't fallen since the collarbone incident. Oh, I'm 64 and that was my first broken bone.

• @cliff Just really happy you got back on it!

• @goodblake-eskate Thanks. I'm having a great time. I love to out late at night when there are few cars, pedestrians or dogs and just cruise around lower downtown Denver along the Platte River and Cherry Creek. I really love my OneWheel.