OW Owners: Injury Survey

• @dag0bert Thanks for the info! Yeah, there's tons of stuff I've seen on the forums about riding stance, balance, charging/discharging, slowing down before hills, etc, etc... All of which aren't in the manual, which is making this thread super valuable to me... Holy shit, two vertibrae? I keep reading two types of posts... One type: Best ride of my life! Floatlife! #bestrideever. Type two: I broke my arm/collarbone/wrist/shoulder, but I still love it, can't wait to get riding again!

I'll take bruises and scrapes all day, but to hell with broken shit... Guess I'm padding up to 11 when my XR arrives...

• @ow-miami this was my experience, too. Rider for >20 years, got on the OW, thought 'wow, this is so intuitive, let's RIP!' - boom, nosedive.

I'm 38, 190 lbs. I ride super hard now, but I stay just below the limit. Unfortunately, sometimes I hit a pothole or something (usually because I'm being careless), and I will eat shit. Broke my collarbone, sprained a wrist, bruised my hip countless times, and have a nagging shoulder injury. But, I ride every day. Most of my serious injuries were early on before I figured out the limits of the board.

Pad up. Get hip pads and elbow pads. Wear a helmet. Have fun!

• I’m gonna ride barefoot and flops all summer long, that’s my goal anyways lol. I hate shoes haha

• @mrbrett131060
    Kayaking with a husky: ✅
    Onewheeling with a husky: TBD lol

IMG_0138.JPG

• @mason I got mine two days ago and on the first day I nosedived 4 times. It was the day after a heavy rain and I tried the offroading capabilities only to have mud act like a wall and send me flying off. Made me feel alive again TBH, as I turn 30 in December and haven't done anything extreme since I did parkour when I was 20.

I went flying off at like 13 mph on the street later that evening, and then, while floating at the corner of a sidewalk, a lady with her baby in a stroller commented on how cool those things look and how she wanted to get her brother one. I told them they are extremely fun but I had already fallen 3 times at speed earlier today, mind you, it it my first day. After we said goodbye and headed in the same direction I bailed at probably 14 mph and tumbled in the street and got my back scratched pretty bad and the tissue near my lower ribs hurt; I got back on it was so much fun I didn't care.

I got on my phone and video chatted with a doctor and showed them where it hurt, next day went into a visit, doctor poked at me, recommended a CT scan because maybe liver laceration. Waiting for that appointment.

• @mason I’m 36, 6’2”, 250 lbs. no board prior experience. Got a minor concussion 2 weeks in. I was practicing low speed maneuvers and fell backwards and smacked my head on the pavement. I was wearing a helmet—so I was lucky.
    I’ve been riding for a few months now. No more falls. I make sure to keep it 15 and below. I started riding in Mission and would experience a few nosedives when mounting and accelerating from a stop. I was able to recover all of them because they were all as I was accelerating from a standstill. I think the board in Mission struggled to compensate for my size when accelerating. I’ve since changed to Delirium after the Gemini update and I haven’t nosedived from a standstill since. I think the board is more prepared to “catch me” when attempting to accelerate from a stop while in Delirium.

Basically: I recommend you get one. It is AMAZING. Ride in Delirium, keep it 15 and below. Wear a helmet and write guards. You should be fine. Looks like fangs help, I mounted 3/4” casters on the front of my XR. Looks a bit goofy, but they caught me every time I nosedived.

• 27 year old male (novice board experience) 235lbs
    Onewheel+ XR <1 mile (only rode a few feet) Torn MCL in knee day one...

Sad new owner of onewheel+ XR
    Was so excited to be a part of this community and start having some fun. Been researching for months and weighing out risks and benefits. Studied hard to figure out proper safe riding techniques. Watched hundreds of youtube videos and read thru tons of forums.

Got my XR in day before yesterday and strapped on safety gear and started practicing mounting and dismounting. Rolled around my soft back yard and lowest speed possible and got used to coming to a stop and dismounting. Jumped off with two feet a few times when it got awkward. Was really starting to have a blast when I came to one final stop and I stepped off with one foot and the other foot rolled away causing me to do a big split which in turn snapped my MCL inner knee and kick my left leg outwards. Only 10 minutes logged and this thing will be putting me thru possible surgery and months of recovery from just one small awkward step. I will most likely be forced to sell due to medical bills and fear of riding. Such a simple mistake made at 0 miles per hour has cost me dearly. A part of me died inside too as this was supposed to be my therapy session/fun/decompress hobby. And possibly transportation to work only 4 miles away. I planned to take it very slow and purchased front wheels to help curb nosedives and all safety gear. Knee destroyed and heart broken. Good luck out there and remember to jump off with both feet every time. It's an awkward skill to learn without being on a board.

• @eckit
    What are "3/4” casters? Could you post Pictures?
    Could you describe a Little more concrete what happend during your nosedives, which you obviously caught?

• @owpete sure, I can post pictures later tonight. As far as my nosedives, they were not “at speed”.
    Instead, when I stop at a light in NYC, I tend to dismount. When the light turns green, I mount and naturally try to begin my forward motion simultaneously. Admittedly this is NOT what you are supposed to to. You are supposed to mount, come to level, let the board adjust, and only then are you supposed to attempt to move forward.
    I rode in Mission exclusively prior to the recent Gemini update. Mission is supposed to have more of a floating feel than Delirium. So it would make sense that it had more “give” and therefore would not be able to be responsive enough to keep my big frame upright from a standstill.
    Since switching to Delirium, I haven’t experienced that type of nosedive.

• experienced rider here. go ahead and get padded g-form undies. i have hillbilly padded under wear also, but they make you look like you have poopy pants or a colostomy bag. i just can't make myself put them on unless its doing really stupid stuff. love my hillbilly wrist guards. g-form knees, and some other kind of elbow pads i like. i like the get hard on impact pads. not quite the pad protection, but mine don't slide off when i eat it. this is huge huge huge.

if you have ever been an adrenaline junkie, you're gonna eat it. i ate it at 22.9mph on downhill pavement last sunday. i was low, i was padded up and in a helmet, couple steps, roll and slide. not too much problem. another hip bruise and knee bruise. i also had a small alcohol buzz. i def recommend a shot of liquor before riding. that's me. i'm 51. start doing suspension training or something similar. its cheap, it'll help your flexibility, and strengthen the muscles you'll really need when riding. it'll help your knees. this thing is so exciting. have a blast. don't be afraid of your board. get to know it.

• @mason I just got my XR on Friday! Haven't been on it yet. Waiting for my protective gear! At 65 I have no plans on slowing down! Ride Safe!
    My new adventure is paramotoring!

Surf's Up Somewheres!

• @krobmonty dude sorry about your knee! Heal quick and get back on it! I just got my XR in Friday! I haven't gotten on it yet ... Waiting for my protective gear to come in.

• @Onewheel-Miami I got some. Hope they work well!

• @surferdude hey bra, when you do get on it can you please record it? And upload it 2 youtube? I want to show my grandpa that you could still do new things 👍 my grandma recently passed ,And I want to see him get out of the house, and you getting on that Onewheel at his same age mite do the trick 😊 thanks man🤝