OW Owners: Injury Survey

• @Enterusername I was going to get an occulus and worthy computer but opted for the XR instead, now I've added the pint so virtual reality would've been cheaper lol

• @a_onekatie My Bad, I didn't see that there was an actual link to a survey in this post. I just though people were posting about their injuries. It all makes sense now lol.

• I'd say keep it well under 15 mph, closer to 10 mph, and monitor your battery life. I am over 200 lbs and tall, so that's a lot more leverage required to keep me balanced when going fast or over a difficult obstruction. There is a limited amount of torque available, and when it is used up, NOSEDIVE! My one and only true nosedive was going approx. 19 mph in "Elevated" mode. This mode adjusts the level point to slightly off-level to keep the nose raised higher than usual to better avoid obstacles. I was ignorant of what "Elevated" meant and pushed through pushback without realizing I had entered a point of no return. I don't remember exactly what happened in the fraction of a second before the board conked out, but I believe the board freewheeled, I panicked and the nose touched down into the asphalt, which sent me and my wrist directly into the ground. I had lightly padded fingerless gloves and a helmet. An MRI showed a dent in the cartilage of my radius and bruising on my scaphoid. A couple periods of bracing and rest and my wrist still isn't quite right a year later. Get yourself some good motorcycle gloves and a quality helmet. If you have experience with inline or skateboarding, you probably know how to fall. However, be sure you can outrun your fall at whatever speed the board is traveling when (not if) it conks out. Photo Sep 05, 7 18 21 PM.jpg

• 60 years old, snowboarded off and on for 25 years... I play golf riding a phatscooter and just purchased OW to ride on the course too. XR+ arrived Friday. By Sunday, I was feeling really comfortable and confident after nearly 40 miles on pavement... starting to carve, going faster... Then last night I nosedived accelerating up a steep incline. I was wearing a helmet and wrist guards. Wishing I had knee and hip pads... I guess I was fortunate to walk away with a little pain and scraped up. I was very surprised by how fast that board launches you to the ground. Anyway, I got up this morning and rode it to the course and played 18 holes. I took it easy, nothing fast, rode our bumpy paved cartpaths and bumpy fairways. And no falls. I bought this for golf, but I was surprised how much fun I was having on the roads. But I'm just too old to hit the pavement! Hoping little more padding and a little more caution keeps me upright! fwiw, I didn't have any nosedives in Mission mode... I had recently switched to Delirium when I bit it.

• @rboult Just turned 61, was 59 when I got my first +, then got an XR last fall. I had a couple of nasty nosedives when starting, then decided to slow down a bit. I ride exclusively in Delirium, but since I was thrown off at 21 mph 600 miles into my OW career, I've kept my speed at or below 15 mph, added fangs to both boards, and haven't had an issue since. I'm approaching 3000 miles combined on my + and XR.

Enjoy the float!

• Thanks @OneDan (old man)... I'm definitely going to keep my speed down now, and be extra careful on steep inclines! I'm feeling a little frustrated and gunshy because I was really feeling confident on it already. Anyway, in addition to more padding, I'll check out the fangs too. You've logged some serious miles already!!

• 879 miles in and I get to add my "eat it" story.
    I was on my way home from work when I can across something of a traffic snarl. On Mondays our local food bank gives out food to pretty much anybody who shows up. This always causes a traffic issue there. So I am coming up on this mess. There is about 50 people waiting in line. Parked cars are jamming up both sides of the street, and there is a mess of cars both behind and coming at me. So I make the poor snap decision to cut off the road and ride through the parking lot to avoid the gridlock. I swerve and BAM, faster then I could even start to react I am on my left side in the parking lot. I get back up without any real issue, to the wide eyed stares of everybody in line. I guess if you are going to go, Go Big!
    It appears that in my rush, and with the sun just right, I failed to see this lip in the asphalt.
    curb.jpg
    The padded leather jacket prevented any road rash, but I did get a lovely bruise that is turning all kinds of fun colors.
    Bruse.jpg

• @Sponge315 ouch, that's quite a bruise! glad it's not worse -- how fast do you think you were going?

• @Franko said in OW Owners: Injury Survey:

@Sponge315 ouch, that's quite a bruise! glad it's not worse -- how fast do you think you were going?

Not too fast, I would guess 8-10 MPH. I think I may have caught that cement curb in the back ground with my hip.

• I'm part of the old brittle bones group (aka Old Man Club -- and I've got the shirt to prove it :) ). I've only had a sore arm. Crash was my fault. Looked at one obstacle knew I didn't have the skills to ride over it, and chose option B without looking close at it. Tire fell into a hole and play superman did I. Friend of mine thought I broke my ankle for the screen grab I took from the video, but my foot was fine.
    75501020_10214068865348240_227687744053182464_n.jpg

• @Sponge315 Unfortunately, that's a very steep climb depending on your weight. I've found that nudging up the juice in the customization helps overcome these sorts of obstacles better (at the expense of runtime).