OW Owners: Injury Survey

• @ow-miami Thanks for all that great info! That detailed information is HUGE. Especially where you think things went wrong... I'll definitely keep all that in mind. So, basically no more falls since week 5? :) Ever wear those hard skate kneepads during any of your falls? I feel like most peoples injuries have been to their forward knees, elbows, and shoulders / collarbones, likely due to the riding stance... I'll probably wear full gear on both sides but I'll bet you're likely to contact the pavement with your leading side first. Maybe after I get more seasoned, I'll leave the right elbow and knee pads at home, ha... Maybe not...

Also, I've seen 187 "Derby" wristguards that are more than a bent piece of strip plastic for a splint... Looks like they may cover more palm surface area & be more comfy... Have any experience with this brand, or model?

https://www.amazon.com/187-Killer-Pads-Derby-Guards/dp/B014172MH6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1520368104&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=187+derby+wrist+guards&psc=1&smid=A371G8H8A5MY53

• @steveb Thank you! I actually have seen that wiki, and it's great. A buddy of mine has an indo board, and staying centered and alternating "pumping" feet up and down on either side of the fulcrum is a good balance exercise for the OW I think... It looks exactly like what that guy was doing in his "Good Riding Technique" video... Keeping your center of balance, knees bent, and pushing/lifting with your legs/feet as opposed to a full body lean...

Yeah, I totally agree with you about this being a different board sport... Although I'm great on a snowboard, I'm going to treat this as something completely different. It's not nearly as inherently stable as a snowboard, since you have a single wheel as a pivot point, as opposed to 4 different edges you can utilize on a snowboard i.e.: front heel/toe, back heel/toe, or flat bottoming... Different physics and mechanics alltogether... I have a feeling that good balance technique should translate pretty well, though...

Keep the good tips coming!

• @mason I agree that your snowboarding will help as my snowboarding is a major reason I was able to recover from a number of almost falls; these were do to things such as not easy to see uneven pavement until it was too late. I just don't want to give the false sense of it being too much like snowboarding. My one fall (the nosedive) would have been worse if I didn't land on my backpack stuffed with a few layers of clothing, so your plan to wear padding is a great idea. I had a helmet on and that was the difference between riding / walking away and an ambulance ride (I banged my head); so the helmet made it mostly a non-issue for the head. To be clear I walked away without a head injury.

I am using skateboarding padding that has a plastic shell so it will slide on the pavement in hopes of doing less tumbling however it is no guarantee. The one things I am not protecting at the moment is the shoulders. I would like to find a solution for that.

I ride goofy foot (which is great for riding in the bike lanes as I am facing traffic), but I also like to switch and I am would like to be comfortable with both directions. This means I will be wearing pads on both sides.

• @steveb Totally agree with all that is being stated here. Another mental image I give myself is not so much body lean or even weight transfer because when you think about the weight of the human body, that is a lot of potential force that you lever on that poor hub motor. I am shocked at how effective it is to counter-torque the rider. However, the motor does not have infinite power and at some point something has to give. In fact, the faster the motor is going, the less torque reserves are available making nose-dives even more susceptible. The motor acceleration behavior is a function of the inclinometer readings of the board (not directly the pressure the weight/feet the rider puts on the board). Thus knowing this, if you can keep the center of gravity over the wheel - and think of tilting the board with your feet, you will get much better results IMHO. You can sense the pushback much easier and the motor will be able to communicate it's top end situation better. Also, the board tilt method means you will have to have your knees bent - also a good posture as it facilitates emergency run-outs a lot better. Try it and see if it works for you. Your core muscles will also be more engaged and your feet and ankles will be less strained as a result.

• @gadgetrider I totally agree, you won't get pushback from me (I am not sure if the pun was intended :-). I commute to work on my board as well as go on small (what fits in my backpack) shopping trips. Riding with knees bent is essential as I often hit some really bad road conditions (uneven pavement, pinecones, rocks, holes), most of which I steer around but not always; the board handles it much better than I expect. I thought pine cones would feel worse than they do.

In addition to your motor torque comments, the acceleration of the board is not fast and that is where I think many people go wrong. If your stance is not "correct" then you may not realize how much torque you are asking of the motor. My nosedive happened because of this, as I had more than 50% battery (with balanced cells), smooth rode, not moving very fast, and no obstacles. Since I changed my stance (as described by both of us and the wiki), I have scraped the nose (my fault) without any incident. It would have been a nosedive had I did the "full body lean" even at less the 10 mph. Again, I completely agree with your comments.

• Our crew has racked up a dislocated shoulder, a broken collar bone, and a blown up knee. That's 50-60k worth of surgeries. They will bite! I've toned my riding way down. Just cruise and carve and ride in my backyard. (And have my insurance paid up!) 42 big dude, 20+ yr snowboarder. I've hit the ground a few times pushing too hard... I don't like crashing anymore.

• I forgot to mention, I have nose dived my board about a 1/2 dozen times going straight because I accelerated too hard, didn't understand what overcharge pushback was or the tire slipped and lost grip on the grassy surface. Most of the time I was able to run it out so no big deal.

A nosedive when making a turn while accelerating was the one that caused a noteworthy injury - basically I fell on my back on asphalt and my leading elbow took the brunt of the hit. I thought I chipped the bone - it hurt for weeks and even months. I can say today after 6 months, it is finally 100%. I always ride with an elbow pad on the leading elbow and I am very careful when I turn and accelerate. The Vegas tire (being so square) makes tight turns difficult and if the board decides to stop, I am already off-balance due to the turn, making recovery difficult. Another learning experience.

• @steveb funny you mention riding goofy so you can see the traffic. In the UK it's the other way so if you ride normal here you face the traffic

• @mason - The 187's look ok.

I use these cheap bastards. They're comfy and work really well for what I need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFPH19M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• No accident reports. Still waiting for my first board, the XR... But I think I have something useful to add.

I got t-boned by a car while riding my motorcycle, went about 40 feet through the air, landed on pavement. Hurt where the car hit me (for about a year), but no injuries from hitting the pavement.

No, I don't expect a cookie, or a star on my forehead... The reason I didn't get hurt was because of all the martial arts I've done. I've spent 1000s of hours practicing "ground engagement"

Spending some time to get comfortable with falling correctly will save you a lot of injuries. Rolling should be automatic, because you likely won't have time to think about it.

• @mason
    It's a "when" situation if you like to push your limits or ride on uneven terrain. Even a small pothole will end you if you don't see it coming. I have not gotten any injuries while wearing pads, and have fallen dozens of times going 10 to 15, never more than that. Sprained wrists and bloody knees when I skipped the protection. I drop into a roll mostly, but it's hard to do with no notice. I am only 150 lbs so that makes a huge difference. I would say, barring a board malfunction, you can ride in a way that is totally safe if you want to.

• I had a real noob accident when I received my OneWheel+ in August last year. I had my board fully charged, when I went downhill with it. Eventually, the board switched off (overcharging by regeneration) and my plan to gracefully steer the board into a piece of lawn next to the bike lane did not work out.

End of story, I hit the bike lane and broke the radius bone of my right arm (I am riding goofy). Furthermore, I slightly cracked two vertebras.

Even though I read the manual, I was not prepared for this. IMHO it would help to stress this (the danger with going downhill with a fully charged board) out more clear in the manual.

• @dag0bert Thanks for the info! Yeah, there's tons of stuff I've seen on the forums about riding stance, balance, charging/discharging, slowing down before hills, etc, etc... All of which aren't in the manual, which is making this thread super valuable to me... Holy shit, two vertibrae? I keep reading two types of posts... One type: Best ride of my life! Floatlife! #bestrideever. Type two: I broke my arm/collarbone/wrist/shoulder, but I still love it, can't wait to get riding again!

I'll take bruises and scrapes all day, but to hell with broken shit... Guess I'm padding up to 11 when my XR arrives...

• @ow-miami this was my experience, too. Rider for >20 years, got on the OW, thought 'wow, this is so intuitive, let's RIP!' - boom, nosedive.

I'm 38, 190 lbs. I ride super hard now, but I stay just below the limit. Unfortunately, sometimes I hit a pothole or something (usually because I'm being careless), and I will eat shit. Broke my collarbone, sprained a wrist, bruised my hip countless times, and have a nagging shoulder injury. But, I ride every day. Most of my serious injuries were early on before I figured out the limits of the board.

Pad up. Get hip pads and elbow pads. Wear a helmet. Have fun!

• I’m gonna ride barefoot and flops all summer long, that’s my goal anyways lol. I hate shoes haha

• @mrbrett131060
    Kayaking with a husky: ✅
    Onewheeling with a husky: TBD lol

IMG_0138.JPG

• @mason I got mine two days ago and on the first day I nosedived 4 times. It was the day after a heavy rain and I tried the offroading capabilities only to have mud act like a wall and send me flying off. Made me feel alive again TBH, as I turn 30 in December and haven't done anything extreme since I did parkour when I was 20.

I went flying off at like 13 mph on the street later that evening, and then, while floating at the corner of a sidewalk, a lady with her baby in a stroller commented on how cool those things look and how she wanted to get her brother one. I told them they are extremely fun but I had already fallen 3 times at speed earlier today, mind you, it it my first day. After we said goodbye and headed in the same direction I bailed at probably 14 mph and tumbled in the street and got my back scratched pretty bad and the tissue near my lower ribs hurt; I got back on it was so much fun I didn't care.

I got on my phone and video chatted with a doctor and showed them where it hurt, next day went into a visit, doctor poked at me, recommended a CT scan because maybe liver laceration. Waiting for that appointment.

• @mason I’m 36, 6’2”, 250 lbs. no board prior experience. Got a minor concussion 2 weeks in. I was practicing low speed maneuvers and fell backwards and smacked my head on the pavement. I was wearing a helmet—so I was lucky.
    I’ve been riding for a few months now. No more falls. I make sure to keep it 15 and below. I started riding in Mission and would experience a few nosedives when mounting and accelerating from a stop. I was able to recover all of them because they were all as I was accelerating from a standstill. I think the board in Mission struggled to compensate for my size when accelerating. I’ve since changed to Delirium after the Gemini update and I haven’t nosedived from a standstill since. I think the board is more prepared to “catch me” when attempting to accelerate from a stop while in Delirium.

Basically: I recommend you get one. It is AMAZING. Ride in Delirium, keep it 15 and below. Wear a helmet and write guards. You should be fine. Looks like fangs help, I mounted 3/4” casters on the front of my XR. Looks a bit goofy, but they caught me every time I nosedived.

• 27 year old male (novice board experience) 235lbs
    Onewheel+ XR <1 mile (only rode a few feet) Torn MCL in knee day one...

Sad new owner of onewheel+ XR
    Was so excited to be a part of this community and start having some fun. Been researching for months and weighing out risks and benefits. Studied hard to figure out proper safe riding techniques. Watched hundreds of youtube videos and read thru tons of forums.

Got my XR in day before yesterday and strapped on safety gear and started practicing mounting and dismounting. Rolled around my soft back yard and lowest speed possible and got used to coming to a stop and dismounting. Jumped off with two feet a few times when it got awkward. Was really starting to have a blast when I came to one final stop and I stepped off with one foot and the other foot rolled away causing me to do a big split which in turn snapped my MCL inner knee and kick my left leg outwards. Only 10 minutes logged and this thing will be putting me thru possible surgery and months of recovery from just one small awkward step. I will most likely be forced to sell due to medical bills and fear of riding. Such a simple mistake made at 0 miles per hour has cost me dearly. A part of me died inside too as this was supposed to be my therapy session/fun/decompress hobby. And possibly transportation to work only 4 miles away. I planned to take it very slow and purchased front wheels to help curb nosedives and all safety gear. Knee destroyed and heart broken. Good luck out there and remember to jump off with both feet every time. It's an awkward skill to learn without being on a board.

• @eckit
    What are "3/4” casters? Could you post Pictures?
    Could you describe a Little more concrete what happend during your nosedives, which you obviously caught?