Injury Reduction or How to Crash at 17 mph

• Hey guys and gals,

I'd like to think I'm a smart guy because my elementary school tried to put me into the gifted and talented program and I refused. I saw those fuckers coming for my precious after school playtime with poster board work and shut them down.

And -- as an intelligent person -- I subscribe to the limits of my intelligence in a way that might be described as, "You don't know what you don't know."

I did not know I had offended my OneWheel+ until I was flying, at 17 mph, through the air. I did not know I can't run 17 mph until my feet hit the ground. I am still not exactly sure why the whole thing happened (working with the support team to diagnose any potential problems). But, I do know that if I had put my wrist guards on I might not have such nasty road rash on my palms.

Never depend on one piece of equipment. If you have any humility you'll have layers of redundancy when you take risks.

ps

I don't see myself taking the OneWheel much over 14-15 mph in the future. If I suddenly stop at that speed I suspect I'll have a much easier time catching myself.

• @jshnewman Haha, you lucked out bigtime if all you got was road rash. Congrats on learning a lesson the easy way! Wrist guards and helmet are bare minimum, every ride, unless you are one of those poor souls who can't have fun without facing down a real risk of stoke-crushing injury.

• Keep it gradual on acceleration and stay in that sweet spot of 15mph for speed. Most nosedives occur from improper riding. Always keep in mind, the board has to accelerate to stay under your feet to keep you balanced. If you're near the top speed, or a bigger dude, your board is already working hard to keep you up. Leaning too far over your front knee would could easily cause too much downward force for the board to counter, the force being multiplied by how tall you ride. Ever have a pesky bolt that's stuck? The solution is to get more torque/leverage by using a longer wrench. Same applied to OW riding style, if you ride tall and carry lots of upper body weight, easy to over load the front.

• @jshnewman said in Injury Reduction or How to Crash at 17 mph:

I am still not exactly sure why the whole thing happened

This is maybe the most frustrating part of a bad nosedive. I am operating under the assumption I accelerated too quickly, but I had 256 miles' experience and hadn't done so before. And I am only operating under that assumption because it's happened to others and I choose for now to believe that hardware/software failures are rare. I am a little nervous to get back on once I can, and it will take me some time to trust the board and myself again.

I didn't perform the obvious postmortem exam of "is the board still powered" to rule out any mechanical failure, because I was too busy wondering if I was going to throw up or pass out from the pain before I could get my ass and my gear out of the middle of a dark street so as not to get run over by a car, and wondering how I was gonna get home and to the ER.

You lucked out. Be careful out there, everybody. Wear safety gear, always. Consider some kind of shoulder protection in addition to the usual skateboarding gear (I believe that the phenomenon of the OW nosedive makes this particular injury a little more likely than on a standard 4-wheeled skateboard).

• @jshnewman said in Injury Reduction or How to Crash at 17 mph:

But, I do know that if I had put my wrist guards on I might not have such nasty road rash on my palms.

On the flip side, after my first fall that was just a bit of road rash on my palms I started wearing wrist guards. My 2nd (and milder) fall with wrist guards dislocated and fractured my shoulder. Look into it and you'll find that while wrist guards definitely do protect your wrist, they also transfer all that force up into your arm and increase the chances of breaking an elbow or shoulder.
    I'd recommend a nice pair of thick leather gloves. Also not taking the onewheel over 15mph definitely helps, that's about the fastest I go these days and 0 issues since then.

• I was not done with "mysterious" nose dives until I had clocked over 500 miles total. Now it is clear that I was making mistakes, like leaning too far heelside (and with poor foot position) until BOTH sensors deactivated.

If you want to further reduce nosedives, ride in delerium at all times. It is more responsive, offers more instant torque.

The 15mph rule is perfect. Also keep your hands up always, be alert and not cruising and just sipping a coffee or looking at your phone. I've had three nosedives at speed and I always landed on my feet (doing the slappy foot run) because of this posture.

• I'm going to repeat my advice I posted earlier... Learn to roll, and roll well. Yes, this works at high speeds. I was doing about 35 on my motorcycle when a car t-boned me. Rolled, and stood up. Sore for a year where the car hit me, but no injuries from flying through the air and hitting the pavement.

20 years of martial arts, but anyone can learn to roll. Practice so that it's natural and you don't have to think