Noob Question XR

• @glyph Yeah 100% agree! Whenever I have friends who get the onewheel and are learning to ride, I recommend keeping the front foot right next to the tire and over time you can move it further forward to what is more comfortable / works for you. It helps prevent nosedives from happening and if they do happen you are much more likely to be able to ride it out this way. Hitting the ground from a nosedive is something I hope I never have to experience again.

• Very nice tip, but I am always perplexed every time I hear not to lean forward but to instead put pressure on the front foot.

I do get what the message is trying to convey, but is weight pressure the force i get due to the gravity. If so how do i get my weight to my front foot without leaning?

Gravity is constant on both foot.

@glyph said in Noob Question XR:

@rat8ch. eese Be very, very cautious about "leaning" to the front of the board, as depending on various factors (your weight, the terrain, your speed) you are inherently tempting fate into the dreaded nosediveThis is what the riding tips are trying to get across when they say "don't lean to change speed, use leg pressure instead while keeping yr body in place". Keeping your weight centered directly over the wheel at all times is working with the board's design to try to KEEP you there (that is, upright and level) at all times.

When you put too much weight on either side (with the front being more dangerous than the back), you are now making the board work against you to stay level. If you push it outside its capacities to both propel you and keep you upright, down goes the nose, the board stops IMMEDIATELY, you run it out (if lucky/reasonably-prepared) or get thrown to ground (if unlucky/unprepared).

I keep my knees slightly bent - I see videos of people with their knees VERY bent, but I only do this if I'm going under a low-hanging branch or something. But I also tend to ride mostly on pavement, it's possible for off-roaders their knees need to be more bent.

• @fruitygreen It's difficult to describe, but the key concept here is you want your main body weight to remain over the wheel. To "lean", at least to me, usually means to angle your torso one way or another. That moves your weight/center of gravity in that same direction (lean too far over a railing at the Grand Canyon, and you fall over the railing).

What you're trying to do instead, I guess, is "lean" with your pelvis only (thereby putting pressure on front or back foot); but keep your torso upright and centered.

Sorry if I am not explaining this clearly.

• @fruitygreen said in Noob Question XR:

Very nice tip, but I am always perplexed every time I hear not to lean forward but to instead put pressure on the front foot.

I do get what the message is trying to convey, but is weight pressure the force i get due to the gravity. If so how do i get my weight to my front foot without leaning?

Gravity is constant on both foot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it is that the angle of the board is what directs it to accelerate, decelerate, or stop moving altogether. Any weight leveraged into the lean simply makes more work for the motor to keep the wheel under you. In order to keep my weight centered over the wheel, pressing down on my front foot basically means extending my forward leg and bending my back one. This causes the board to "lean", without me actually leaning my body forward (well, as much as I can try not to).

I, too, have experienced 2 nose dives, one at just over 100 miles and another several hundred miles later (at 22 mph!!!). Since then, I've moved both feet back (maybe too far, as someone else mentioned), kept my top speed around 15 mph, and I've been safely and happily riding ever since, and I'm almost at 1000 miles.

• @fruitygreen I just put in another 15 miles in today (and the XR still had 20% battery left!) and I played around with Delirium which made the board much more responsive and let me practice slow speed toe side and heel side turns. Regarding the putting pressure on front foot thing, at slow speeds I can feel it more...but if I had to described it I would say it feels like you're standing on a seesaw right at the fulcrum. Now imagine you're not shifting your weight forward or backward but rather using your legs to press up and down...one leg would be straighter and the other more bent and vice versa. I think the best photo would be if your Google "backstance Shotokan" but imagine both feet point parallel to the front of the board rather than the toes pointed at the front of the board...if that makes sense.

• Been doing martial arts for 25 years. Love the references! My xr will be shipping in the 11th. Can't wait!

• lol! i get what people are trying to explain, but leaning forward is the only way to transfer the weight. hehe.

no need to explain to me, cause i have primitive beliefs.

with legs spread apart its impossible to remain centered if you lift any leg up. just try it on a level ground and tell me your results.

very eager to see what the results are.

its the explanation that boggles me, and not so much the physics.

• Don’t forget there is this thing called YouTube ...

• I’ve nosedived...ate it, got hurt, run it out...etc....and all of the above. Not satisfied with the original pads, I installed two surfstyle “kickpads” in place of the grip tape on my V1...and I slide the outside edge of each foot all the way up to the raised lip of each pad. I prefer the wider stance with a slight bend of each knee. I keep my weight centered and use my hips to shift my weight/foot pressure to accelerate and propel the board. To each their own. The one thing I will say is, just like riding slow speed on a motorcycle...your board will follow your “head and eyes”. Whichever direction you look...and turn your head...the board will follow. This becomes really important when you start connecting turns. Bottom line is, find a comfortable stance and experiment with what works best. Don’t worry about the instructions. Find what works best for you...there is no right or wrong way to shred! Happy Floating!

• @capodeltoro yep just get on it and ride
    body will adjust to it. some people are clumsier than others so then may take a bit longer to get the rythm.

heres a little technique that works for me and a few others: try hard briefly at what your trying to do, then take a break. when you return/resume youll let muscle memory kick in.