First day with my XR and already had 2 crashes...

• I'm 41 years old, have a mini segway pro and a boosted board dual plus. But I always wanted a Onewheel since the first time I saw it. After months of waiting for my XR it finally came last week. Really wanted to try it out but Seattle weather said otherwise. So today I finally took it out for a ride with the kids in the afternoon, started in Sequoia mode and all seem fine. Then later on this evening took it out for another ride by myself and it seem fine at first, then all of sudden it kept speeding up with no sign of slowing down so I bailed. No major injury aside from my my pants and socks. So I picked it up and tried it again, 10mins into it and it happened again but this time it's going much faster, I jumped off and scraped the heck out of both my hands forearm, shoulder and knee. Now I'm worried if I have a defective device or it's just something that I have to get used to. Just to be clear the second time I switched from Sequoia mode to Cruz mode thinking that lower top speed might have to do with the first fall due to push back. But yet it still happened. Please help me understand this. I thought it was the best thing ever this afternoon and now I'm not so sure if I made the right purchase.

• @jkenshiro I can't say if your unit is defective or not but Future Motion stated in an interview their employees ride every unit before it's shipped out. I'm also in PNW and I've had Onewheel for about 2 weeks now. Didn't really ride until the last 3 consecutive days as the weather has been good to phenomenal. When starting I went straight to Mission, that was the default on my unit and reading the description it seemed to be a good fit. When it starts speeding up do you panic and try to lift your lead foot to get the board to shut off? (it won't since you're moving) What happens when it starts to speed up and you push down on your rear foot, thus lifting the front of the board up and pointing into the air? Does it continue to accelerate? If it does that would freak me out and is definitely not normal.

• @rat8cheese when it was speeding up I tried to lean back to slow it down but it kept picking up speed so I panicked and bailed. Got pretty banged up and broke my iPhone x. Really had a lot of fun in the afternoon but maybe I got a little too comfortable by pushing it a little more and had to learn my lesson. I was mindful of how fast it was going since I had my phone out most of the time checking on the speed. I wanted to show a screenshot of the app cause it says my top speed is 21 mil but there's no way I'd be crazy enough to go that fast on my first day. Have you tried riding in other mode beside mission? Mine was also shipped in mission mode when I first powered it on.

• HAve you been able to brake, rduce speed when the board was under control ? Practice and see if you can go forward (5-6 mph) and then brake (till 1-2 mph), go forward and brake ? I cant imagine you receiving a defective device so maybe it has to do with your perception of your stance on the board.

• I was able to brake, and go and brake again when it was under control (after the first crash). I just wanna know if full speed lockup a common thing. Did a little research on that and found some posts from 2016, apparently some users had similar experiences with the board picking up speed and not slowing down, guess its more common with certain riding modes. Really wanna figure this out soon so I can have an ease of mind while riding. I wanna love this thing and not fear it.

• @jkenshiro I've not tried Cruz and Sequoia because prior to getting my board I had read the beginner modes may actually be more dangerous. I also snowboard and kiteboard so thought (somewhat mistakenly) that I'd pick up the Onewheel quickly. I say mistakenly because as it turns out it doesn't feel like snowboarding to me. Does your app say tire speed 21mph and GPS speed also 21mph? I thought Cruz locked at 15mph? One tip here that I find really helpful is placing your lead foot as close...if not right next to the tire. If you have the bumper than came with the XR I'd even say have the heel of your lead foot touching the bumper. I then place my rear foot about 1 inch in from the tail edge of the board, by doing this it become much more difficult to step and dip the front of the board. I'd say give that a try but a few things on your experience sound alarming. One is you'd been riding it and all was fine before these speed bursts, if the board was faulty I'd think it wouldn't come and go...yet at the same time you obviously had spent 10 mins with no problems which I think is enough time to learn how to slow down...and in your case you still weren't able to slow the board down, that's scary and would make me second guess the board and whether to get back on. Sorry to hear about your iPhone and injuries. Do you wear gear? I have helmet/kneepads/wrist guards and at times still feel I should have more padding. I keep my iPhone X in my bag padded for the exact fear of what happened to your phone. Regarding what other modes I've tried, only Mission and Delirium. I went Delirium yesterday and felt the only difference was the board became a lot 'looser' which made even fine input enough to steer and turn the board, I liked that and might stick with Delirium. I put in 15 miles yesterday, 9-10 of which was in Delirium.

• @Jkenshiro Switch to Mission and your problem will be fixed. Sequoia is dangerous because it tries to "slow you down" by lifting the nose of the board. An inexperienced rider will keep the same amount of pressure on the front footpad regardless of how much the nose lifts thereby accelerating out of control! Trust me, switch to Mission and keep it <15mph and you will be fine.

• @jeffmccosker thanks for the insight as that does make sense to me. I wasn't sure if I was the one that kept pushing the nose down while the board was elevating the nose or it just got locked in a high speed, it all happened so fast. Another thing I tried earlier when I got home was turn on the board and place my hands in two shoes on the board to test out the footpad sensors, they seem to switch off periodically whenever I lift up a small part of my hands within the shoes. Is that normal or is the sensors busted(or faulty)?

• I really appreciate all the helps, this was my first post, too bad it was about a bad experience. Once again, really appreciate it guys.

• The footpad sensors need two points of contact, specifically the ball of your foot/toes and heel. Hopefully your foot pad sensors are not faulty, causing them to stick or connect without pressure . They are designed that if both points of contact or not engaged at slow speed, the motor will disengage. Wear flat skater type shoes like vans, cons, shell tops, or Nike SB. The more foam padding you have the more difficult it is to feel your foot on the sensor/grip tape. If you’re in an elevated type mode, it will try to lift The front up to slow you down or to clear objects. By continuing to lean into it you will force the board to accelerate. Everybody crashes when they first get on. Practice on grass like a golf course if you can. Keep your knees bent your weight centered over the wheel, And I like to keep my feet spread wider closer to about an inch or two from the edges of the board. The wider stance gives me better balance and control. Your sense of balance, and the support muscles in your feet and legs will need time to learn it and you will be very sore from normal rides. You’ll find that your feet and legs have the same soreness as if you were to hit a standup paddleboard for the first time in a long time. Once you get comfortable, there is no closer feeling to snowboarding on pavement then the Onewheel. Good luck and get some miles in!

• Practice in your garage or on carpet, every day, rain or shine, until you can both remain still indefinitely and do continuous figure 8s. This will help train your muscle memory so your feet stay flatter on the board in turns at any speed, which helps keep the sensors happy and avoid unplanned deactivation.

Then ride in delerium at all times. I have had the least number of falls in delerium - After 2000 miles testing it, comparing to other modes, I’m certain that it helps prevent nosedives.

These two things have kept me free of nosedives or any falls for over a thousand miles.

You can do this, I’m almost 40 and never mastered any board sport, now after 6 months Onewheel is as comfortable as walking.

• Crashes suck, sorry to hear that....If you want to keep your new XR looking good and make it easier to carry, grab one of my Bone Flex handles on land-surf.com!

• I'm getting ready to turn 44 years old, I've got 1,300 miles on my Plus and never had a noisedive. I ride max 15mph and take it easy going uphills. Modes are 95% Mission and if I'm making a grocery run I switch over to Delirium to help with the hills. 175lbs and a 20psi tire. If you feel surging you're going too fast and the board is struggling to keep balance, so slow down or noise dive.

• Thanks for all the advice, this truly is a great community and I’m really happy to be a part of. Just a little update, today I took the XR around the neighborhood for the first time since the accident, I put it on mission mode like everyone suggested, went about a little over a mile before my feet couldn’t take it any more. I gotta say, I love this thing. And I came to a conclusion that the accident was an user error and not faulty device. To see it still has 12 miles left after 9 miles of use on the app just blows my mind. The Onewheel team did an amazing job on this thing. I’m looking forward to riding it again tomorrow. Once again thanks everyone who helped out, greatly appreciate it.

• @hoovdini just ordered the Fangs minis from you guys. One question: are the Fangs that much better than the minis? And would the minis still be able to help with nosedive? Thanks.

• I'm just putting in my .02 cents that the small wheels are not a great thing to put on the front of the board. Even for a beginner. Get used to the board as it is, it was designed to work well without those wheels on the nose. They're only really relevant if you're cruising at speeds that a beginner really should not. They might make it harder for you to learn to stop and they might also cause you to runaway down a hill if the board loses power, rather than skidding and going a bit slower.

• @readysetawesome They aren't meant for high speeds. Nothing can really save you if you nosedive at high speed. They are better suited to the overacceleration-from-dead-stop (in which the board's thrust/balance capacity gets temporarily overloaded) and the careless-uphill nosedives.

I rode 250+ miles with NO nosedives. Then I got careless and did the overacceleration-from-dead-stop one, once. 5 months later I am still trying to regain full use of my left (leading) shoulder/arm, which landed on pavement with my full 180# body weight on it. I think nosewheels might have allowed me to recover, or at least reduced the damage by elongating the board's immediate transition from "moving" to "dead stop, rider thrown", and gaining me precious reaction time.

You bring up losing power downhill; I think you're pretty screwed in any case if you lose power in that scenario - but really, the key here is that everyone should make their own decisions based on their skill/comfort level and common riding terrain.

Just my .02 cents.

• I'm 45, sold my OW and bought a metal detector, it is safer an more age appropriate :-)

• Hey @Jkenshiro - I'm 37 and had quite a bit of electric skateboard experience before picking up the Onewheel+ last year. It still took me a few weeks of cautious riding and a good handful of crashes/bails before I was able to get the hang of it. It just controls so much different from anything else. Keep at it and you will get the hang of it. As other recommended, try different modes, as the pushback/limits in some modes are definitely a bit unintuitive.

• @glyph said in First day with my XR and already had 2 crashes...:

@readysetawesome They aren't meant for high speeds. Nothing can really save you if you nosedive at high speed. They are better suited to the overacceleration-from-dead-stop (in which the board's thrust/balance capacity gets temporarily overloaded) and the careless-uphill nosedives.

I rode 250+ miles with NO nosedives. Then I got careless and did the overacceleration-from-dead-stop one, once. 5 months later I am still trying to regain full use of my left (leading) shoulder/arm, which landed on pavement with my full 180# body weight on it. I think nosewheels might have allowed me to recover, or at least reduced the damage by elongating the board's immediate transition from "moving" to "dead stop, rider thrown", and gaining me precious reaction time.

You bring up losing power downhill; I think you're pretty screwed in any case if you lose power in that scenario - but really, the key here is that everyone should make their own decisions based on their skill/comfort level and common riding terrain.

Just my .02 cents.

The overacceleration-from-dead-stop nosedive save by the fangs was proven to me recently. I have over 1100 miles on my +. When I first started, around 90 miles, I had a nosedive from a dead stop when I leaned heavily forward to accelerate. Quite a bit of road rash, some newbie embarrassment, and made me rethink how I ride.

Fast forward to the present. I now ride with my back foot on the back edge and my front foot heel almost against the fender, which really helps lower my acceleration rate. Anyway, I was balancing at a crosswalk waiting for a car to go by and saw another car a bit more than half a block away and my brain said "go, you can beat that car!". Of course, my body reacted with "quick, get across!", so I leaned in more than I should have. Well, the board nosedived, but luckily for me, I have the fangs installed! The front end rolled a few inches and I leaned back a bit and headed across.

Shout out to @hoovdini (land-surf_dot_com) for saving my skin, literally!