Sudden shut down!!

• @mdboarder ... Also if you are ok to share it, what is your weight? The XR really has power reserve it seems for me at 240 LBS. I am still building my XR board feel so I am under 14 MPH yet and watching my up grade accelerations. On the V1 the up hill bursts of speed caused both my nosedives (nothing serious).

• @mdboarder first off I'm glad your ok and hope you heal up fast, secondly I hope you learned your lesson and wear your protective gear when you ride. The onewheel is a dream come true for many of us! But we that ride them have to take responsibility for ourselves and our actions when we ride. It can be dangerous, shit happens. Mitigate the risks involved and protect yourself. There's no guarantees in life brother! Be safe and float on!

• Yeah..these things are amazing but after all you are being balanced on one wheel, so I now ride like I can and will be ejected at any time. They really are for carving and cruising and you can go fast on them, but it's really at your own risk and truth be told, you are asking for trouble. I'm keeping it to 15 and under from now on and do full pads, wrist guards, and a helmet. It's not worth the road rash and i'm too old with too many responsibilities to be getting hurt.

• it sounds like you want to know what a lot of us have - i.e. "Why did the board shut down suddenly?"

in order to answer this we first need to know - did the board disengage or completely shut off?

If the blue light was still on and pulsing, then the board probably disengaged because it detected a foot sensor deactivation. It is possible, but rare, to have a bad sensor causing this. But 99% of the time for newbies (including myself) it is caused by an inadvertent deactivation. (As a newbie I fell multiple times, even after clocking hundreds of miles, because I wasn't aware of my tendency to deactivate the foot sensors during turns and bumps - partly due to bad foot position.)

If, however, the blue light went to flashing or off completely in the middle of a ride then I'd talk to FutureMotion because that sounds like a defect in need of service.

Good luck and get well soon!

• @mdboarder just happended to my son today, thrown off the board without warning. He was going fast, and suddenly the boards leading edge went right to the ground. We’re you going fast?

• Thanks for the get well wishes! I weigh 205, I usually wear a helmet but was just showing someone how cool the thing is in a parking lot but apparently that wasn’t a good idea. I really have no recollection off the actual fall as I have amnesia from about 15 seconds before to 3 min after so don’t know if my foot lifted but I’ve had a one wheel plus since January and the one wheel XR since early May. I try to ride all over the place and so I’m usually aware of what to do and not to do with my feet; but who knows— wish there was a black box like an airplane and I could go see what happened

• @mdboarder Were you using the OW app on your phone when it happened? I get alarms if I've lost contact with one side of the sensor pad. It can also send diagnostics to Future Motion. Maybe that would help them sort it out.

• I had the same thing happen to me. Have been trying to deal with "support" since June 9th.

My board only has 19 miles on it. I turned on the board and the battery percentage on the app was at 94%. Rode for less than 100 feet and the board just STOPPED. Once I got up and got my wind back, the board was OFF. Turned the board back on and got the "battery low" warning. Went inside and plugged it in and in less than 5 minutes received the "Your board is at 100% LET'S RIDE" message.

I Put in a ticket and besides receiving one reply after I called to "send in the diagnostics" it has been radio silence ever since.

I refuse to ride the board until I can get a definitive answer as to what exactly would have caused this and at least some assurance that it will not happen again.

• @jmorrison518 You need to call them. Keep trying until you reach a human. They don't answer support tickets in a timely manner if at all.

• Ugh. That sucks. My XR just shut off today, luckily it was on grass and I was able to run it out. But now, it won't turn on at all. I plugged it in, it looked like it was getting charged (orange) then turned to green after a bit. Still, no power, doesn't start, completely off. Not even 100 miles on this board.

Worse is the OW+ is in the FM shop, having to pay $500 even under warranty for water damage - not sure how, but, OK. The original OW was solid. And going to have to deal with support, again, which will take a month just to get a response.

Frustrating stuff.

• This post is deleted!

• Just happened to me on a V1 board for the first time. I‘m back home now after 5 days in hospital.

From my experience it is a board defect. Either it should slow you down if you are driving to fast or slow down and stop if the battery is running low. This device is packed with electronics/senors and software and there should be no reason for it to suddenly stop AKA nosedive.

I read about the issue but having the V1 for 3 years I always thought people must be doing something wrong until it happened to me. Flat surface doing 11km/h (I was wearing a Polar M200 watch) and it just turned off...I think it‘s a great device and a blast to use but I don‘t trust it anymore.

I was wearing a helmet, wrist protection and a back protection but still broke my leg. So if I ever use it again (I will not) I will probably look like Robocop...and so should you!

You have been warned.

(V1, newest firmware, never been wet, check done before ride (battery, tire, firmware))

• @george said in Sudden shut down!!:

Just happened to me on a V1 board for the first time. I‘m back home now after 5 days in hospital.

From my experience it is a board defect. Either it should slow you down if you are driving to fast or slow down and stop if the battery is running low. This device is packed with electronics/senors and software and there should be no reason for it to suddenly stop AKA nosedive.

I read about the issue but having the V1 for 3 years I always thought people must be doing something wrong until it happened to me. Flat surface doing 11km/h (I was wearing a Polar M200 watch) and it just turned off...I think it‘s a great device and a blast to use but I don‘t trust it anymore.

I was wearing a helmet, wrist protection and a back protection but still broke my leg. So if I ever use it again (I will not) I will probably look like Robocop...and so should you!

You have been warned.

(V1, newest firmware, never been wet, check done before ride (battery, tire, firmware))

Scary stuff. Crazy to think you are rolling the dice any time you go out. I no longer ride without full pads and a helmet for that very reason.

Life is full of calculated risks and riding a complex and tech packed one wheel skateboard is just another one of them. I hope I don't have another crash that is so bad that I decide to stop riding...would like to enjoy this platform for years to come and hopefully they can make them relatively safe at some point. Obviously there is some work to be done.

• @george I agree with you. Why can't it be programmed to do a slow shut down, instead of a complete nosedive. I get that originally they thot a pushback warning, followed by the user slowing down, would do the trick, and be a simpler approach. But judging by the numerous nosedive stories, that scenario has not proven to be very practical. They forgot to factor in that humans, with their many defects, would be riding these, not just experts.

• @george 11kmh isn't that pretty slow, like a walking pace? How did you manage to break your leg? Also, did the board actually shut off? There's a distinct difference between a nosedive caused by over taxing the motor where the board will nosedive but not actually turn off. Then there's the nose dive where the board will have shut off completely. This is usually do to a faulty electrical component. I don't believe there's any way to avoid a nose dive in the latter situation.

• I hate to be the bad guy here...but F it. We are literally all balancing on ONE WHEEL...fighting the laws of physics and gravity...and then everyone wants to blame FM when they nosedive from user error...either going too fast or pushing this electric machine further than it can physically go. It’s an inherent risk! Friggin crybabies. So you wiped out. Big deal. If “extreme sports” (as they define it) aren’t your thing...stay on the couch. Everyone is crying and saying “Blame future motion”...”fix the problem”...it’s obnoxious. There’s no problem. It works. We’ve all crashed...and we’ve all learned our lesson. It’s bound to happen. Do you blame snowboards when gravity takes you down a mountain into an embankment? No because it’s due to lack of skill. You clowns try to push yourselves to be badasses then you wreck out and cry for reform and threaten litigation. Please. If you’re reading this and you are whining...STFU...dust yourself off and get back on it and RESPECT the board. You will love it once you know what you’re doing. I promise.

• @rado

Two times walking pace (walking military style is 5km/h).
    I wasn‘t doing anything extreme and not accelerating, just carving and enjoying the warm breeze.
    The road was flat and made of cement and I assume that due to the fact that I was riding fairly slowly I didn’t skid forward but slammed down onto my leg without any warning that I was losing my balance or needed to do anything. Out of the blue and taken by surprise. I also hit my elbow but the injury is only superficial.

I have never fallen off and normally ride on dirt tracks.

• @capodeltoro

I bought the OW because of the electronic/software and balancing capabilities. I wasn‘t doing anything extreme with it. It just turned off on me.

Please read my post and ask related questions. Just being a Fanboy/Troll is not helping anyone.

• I had the same thing happen. I'm going to be recovering for about a month, major road rash and shoulder dislocation. did you receive an alert? In my case, I was bombing uphill for 3 straight miles in Delerium mode and I was sent an alert which I couldn't read without my glasses. my board was at 47% power. I could read that. I kept on with my ride and then out of nowhere, my board just nose dived! I went straight into the concrete at close to 18 mph. My road rash is terrible and I damaged my shoulder. I can't take another fall like this either. Were you on a hill? do you think you could have overheated the board?

• @capodeltoro
    Im not one of those guys. Ive brushed myself off and will take responsibility for not reading my alert. But I did nose dive on smooth cement, no obstructions. I may have overheated the unit considering I was bombing uphill for 3 straight miles. I received an alert but I couldn't read it without my glasses. I assumed that the app was telling me that my battery was low. Shortly after the alert, my board just nose dived in Delerium mode at a fast speed. Im a bit beat up with road rash and a dislocated shoulder. I was wearing safety equipment. I have some anxiety about this crash until I figure out what went wrong. Do you have any experience with this?