Spend My Money -- Newbie Recommendations

• Hey All -- new to OW, new to the forum, and pumped to be joining the community!

My board is set to ship on 7/23 and I'm new to board sports, but consider myself athletic for a bigger guy (32 years old, 6'2, 240 lbs). I'm so pumped to start riding, learning, and mastering the OW.

I found Newbie posts all over the forums but none of them answered many of my specific questions, so I thank you in advance for indulging yet another newbie post.

My Goal: I have several great bike/running trails around my house that I would like to cruise on. I even have a 17-mile trail that runs to my work that I may eventually try to ride to. I have no big intentions to be a speed demon or grind rails at this point.

~Preparation~
    I'm at my ideal weight around 220, so I'm spending July biking and working out as much as possible to be trim and ready for my first few rides as an owner. I also bought a balance board to work on my foot and ankle endurance, as I could tell when I demo'd the OW that I needed it. Are there any exercises, training, tools, or prep you are doing or wish you did in advance of your OW arriving?

~Gear~
    I've seen these forums run the gamut, from "I don't wear anything" to "bubble wrap your entire body and be ready to fall". I'm not afraid of some early bails and wipeouts, but being new to board sports, and a father, and someone who travels and presents in front of people for a living, I need to be upright and want to be smart about protecting and minimizing against the scrapes and bruises (hopefully nothing worse) that this new sport will afford me. Here are my questions:

Full-face helmet?
    I ordered this full-face helmet one after reading some horror stories about gnarly faceplants and full-face scrapes. Haven't received it yet, but now I'm wondering if it is overkill. I also considered this helmet. Any thoughts or additional recommendations on a helmet?

Which wristguards?
    After reading some that at minimum I'll need a helmet and wristguards, I found the best reviewed guards with the maximum protection I could find, the Demon D30 Flexmeters. These seemed expensive but, being my first line of defense if I fall, it's not an area I want to skimp on. Any thoughts or recommendations here?

Do I really need elbow and knee pads?
    I'm happy to get them if needed to protect myself, but given that I'd like to minimize restrictions when riding, and that I'm not hill bombing or anything, I'm curious whether you all recommend elbow and knee pads? If so, which ones?

~Accessories~
    I already bought a stand to keep my OW out of the way in the garage; what other accessories have you all found helpful? Specifically, I'm thinking about:

Float Plates -- are these even possible with the XR's larger battery under the board? If so, are they needed for someone who is not grinding or beating up the board with tricks? If so, are there any other plates out there aside from the Float Life plates that you would recommend?

Rail Protection -- I want to protect my investment (damn this stuff ain't cheap), but also don't want to junk up my board with translucent plastic if I don't have to. Thoughts on the Float Life Sidekicks or any other rail protection... worth it and if so, which ones?

Handles -- I've seen a bunch of different ones on the forums. I think I like the look of the Land Surf Stealth handle the best. Do you think they are needed, and if so, which do you recommend?

What else am I missing or not thinking about that I should be?

I appreciate your thoughts on all of this and I'm looking forward to floating with you soon! Thanks.

• @life-themovies for protecting your onewheel float plates and sidekicks are my recommendation I ordered and had received both prior to the arrival of my onewheel and installed them before taking my first ride (let's face it it's expensive so I wanted to keep mine as pristine as possible) as far as pads and helmet I wear a Triple 8 helmet and fingerless glove / wristgard combo with Pro-tec elbow and knee pads and I would recommend either of those companies products. I figure with the protective gear you won't need it until you need it!

• I am a newbie, with an XR for about 2 weeks now. I also road bike regularly. As far as the biking, although my calves are pretty strong from years of doing that and aerobics regularly, I had to develop them even more once I started doing the OW. In fact, that has increased my biking ability, rather than the other way around.

Re balance board prep. I think it is a good idea, but still found a learning curve once I started on the OW. But ahead of delivery, I got the Revolution Fit board because it has 3 fulcrum options. Those that tilt fore and back are not going to do you any good for the OW, since it auto balances in those directions. My board came with a very thick plastic "cushion" that allows balancing practice in all directions. Look for one that at least tilts side to side, not just end to end.

• @wheelrich Thanks-- I actually got the balance board idea from reading one of your posts haha. I'm excited to see how my biking ability strengthens as I pick up the OW.

What helmet and other protection did you go with?

• @devon Re: float plates, good to know and makes total sense. Can you confirm that the float plates work for the XR?

And thanks for the tip re: Pro Tec! I'll check them out.

• @life-themovies float plates fit perfectly with the XR.

• My take... You don't need float plates or rail protectors. This beast is rugged. If you're doing a lot of tricks or grinds then ok, but otherwise it's all cosmetics. Up to you but it's not necessary.

Also I grind the bottom of my bumpers a fair amount with normal street riding, but the bumpers are designed to be replacable. With float plates on my XR, I'd be concerned about losing clearance on the bottom.

You need need need a fender. For a $1800 transport that's a must.

Protective gear up to you, how aggressively you ride, conditions, etc. For God's sake wear a helmet, a fall at 15 mph can cause permanent injury without one. But otherwise it's all on you. More is better... I never ride a motorcycle without jacket, helmet, gloves, and jeans but I feel ok on the onewheel with just my helmet

Balance board... Dunno. Probably helpful but not required. Most people seem to take to mine pretty well. I'm 42 and in reasonably good shape, minimal board sport experience, and was up and carving within the first couple days. I've had neighbors up and riding around the block after 30 minutes. Never had leg or foot issues even after extended rides. My neck was sore the third or fourth day from always looking right (I ride goofy) but that went away after the first week.

Good luck! You're in for a blast!

• @reddog Thanks! Great point re: float plates and clearance... I didn't think about that. I may still consider them, but will likely pass on the rail protectors.

Re: gear for protection, yeah I really don't get why anyone would ride anything without a helmet these days. I'll check out this full-face helmet I got and worst case scenario, I use it early days and then pick up the $40 Triple8 Dual Certified if I find it too constrictive. I may hold off on knee/elbow pads and see how I feel about the helmet/wristguard combo.

Balance board is in my living room now and I just mess around on it when I'm in the room; will likely help marginally but moreover, will make me feel like I have something productive to do while I wait for my OW.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

• No problem! Balance board can't hurt. But barring doing some plyometric workouts or something, I think just going out and running a few miles will probably beef up your legs more.

I don't mean to say the rail protectors won't do their job... you will nick up your rails. But I'm okay with that. Just like your deck looks nice and pretty out of the box, but will start to get pits in it by 50 miles or so. If you want the rails to look pristine put them on the moment you unbox it. Otherwise forget it...

• @life-themovies I use the triple 8 exoskin series...knee, elbow and wrist/hand protection. I also bought the OW helmet when I ordered my XR, and turns out it is also a triple 8 product. Nice helmet, with rear adjustment, just like my bike helmet has. The elbow pads are kind of a pain, but knee pads actually give me extra knee support, and wrist/hand ("hired hands") are well built, but have open finger holes, which makes it easier to use your hands while wearing them. I wear them all every time, so it is getting to be routine.

Re float plates, you need to tell them you have an XR so they send you the proper length of bolts.

• I’ve had my XR about 3 weeks. I’m a non-athletic 190 lbs.

Gear-wise, I started with my Giro snowboard helmet, hillbilly wrist guards, and the Triple-8 Covert Knee and Elbow Pads.

I ended up trying a few other helmets, and I’m about to try a Thousand helmet. I know it’s a bike helmet, but I’m not a daredevil, and I’m comfortable with the certifications it has. Recently, I have mostly scrapped the elbow and knee pads, and just go with helmet and wrist guards unless I’m planning to push my limits. I usually hover around 12-15 mph on pavement, and I’m definitely becoming (probably overly) confident.

I didn’t get a balance board or anything beforehand. I had snowboarded recently after 15 years of not doing it, and I found that my legs adjusted pretty quickly. After getting my Onewheel, it took me a few days of aching feet and calves to get over the hump, and now I rarely notice it.

• @somederrick Good to hear! When I demo'd the OW at a Burton shop before ordering direct, my feet hurt after a 10 minute back-and-forth in the parking lot, so I know I'll need to strengthen my feet/ankles. I've been a skier for years, but lateral movement is very different from front-to-back flexing. I'm hoping I adjust as quickly as you did!

• At 6’2” / 240 you are a big dude for a OW. The board will be working overtime to keep you balanced accel and deccel your mass. I was prob 205-210 when I first got mine. Broke my foot (work related), had surgery and ballooned to 236. Once healed, the OW def felt different pushing me around. I’m back down to 210-215 and it feels normal again. I’d work on the weight while your waiting.

Get a VewDo or balance board. If you can’t, then do air squats, pistol squats etc. if you can get on a SUP on the water that will help too. In reality, you are going to be sore when you first ride it no matter what you train for. The only way to get over that, is by riding it. Your feet and lower legs are going to work like they never have before. The first time I did more than 5 miles straight, I couldn’t walk for 2 hours after.

Rail protection, float plates are unnecessary, especially on the XR...unless you are gonna be grinding or curb hopping. Which you prob shouldn’t as a newb anyway.

If you can, start on grass, a golf course fairway preferably. It hurts a lot less when you wreck out .

Wrist protection and helmet are prob worth it. I don’t wear them, I have a helmet but when I nosedived I landed on my face so it wouldn’t have helped, luckily I was on grass. But if you crack your noggin on pavement you will prob die.

Best advice? Don’t be like me or all these other nosedivers. RESPECT THE BOARD. Don’t try to fight thru the pushback. At your size it will end badly. I know first hand.

• I am a biggn. I use Triple 8 hired hands, G Form pads, POC Crane Commuter helmet. Had a nasty fall. When I did, my head came down with the rest of my body, AT THE END of the fall and hit a broken branch. The branch was 3 inches of hardwood. After getting up, making sure everything worked, with me not the board, I looked at my helmet, and there is a big dent. So, yeah I believe in a quality helmet. Ride on.

• @capodeltoro agreed on all of the above, thanks for the thoughts.

• @waftingtransient Damn, glad to hear you're OK! So do you think a full-face helmet is the way to go or am I good with a classic skateboarding helmet?

• @life-themovies You're riding at bicycling and skateboarding speeds (or slower). Cyclists don't wear full face. Skaters don't wear full face. Full face is probably overkill.

• Hip, leg protection...just (1st July) broke my leg close to the hip after a nosedive incident.
    Not allowed to walk for 6 weeks and after that rehab. Love my OW just don’t trust her anymore...
    Ignore this post just like I use to ignore nosedive stories but at least be prepared for the fall. It will happen. I am really going to miss my OW rides. I‘m done.

• @life-themovies Protect your nuggin my friend, by any means necessary.

• @waftingtransient

Noggin...right? Head
    By all means.